Control Aux input volume independently?

Posted by: robricc

Control Aux input volume independently? - 12/12/2005 02:03

Is there a way to control the aux input's volume seperately from the tuner and player? I just installed an XM Roady XT in my friend's car running into the empeg's aux and it seems like the volume is about half that of the other empeg functions.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Control Aux input volume independently? - 12/12/2005 02:06

Hijack's volume boosting is what you're looking for. You can specify the difference in db's.

Matthew

Re: Control Aux input volume independently? - 12/12/2005 02:14

Cool, I will have to take a look at that tomorrow. I think he has v440 on there which I would assume is new enough.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Control Aux input volume independently? - 12/12/2005 02:18

Yeah, the hijack volume offset feature was put in place a very long time ago. An example of the syntax is:

[hijack]
disable_bassboost_FM=1
volume_boost_FM=-2
volume_boost_AM=-6
volume_boost_AUX=4

You didn't ask about the first one, but it's a useful one.

Note that the volume_boost numbers are either a normal number (positive DB) or a negative number (negative DB).

Re: Control Aux input volume independently? - 13/12/2005 01:07

That seemed to have worked OK. I had to use +30 db to make the levels seem equal.

Re: Control Aux input volume independently? - 13/12/2005 04:30

That's pretty odd and surprising. Sure it was hooked up right? Using line outputs? Did the XM unit have a level adjustment of any kind?

Re: Control Aux input volume independently? - 13/12/2005 04:32

Hm, from the looks of it, all it's supposed to need is the 1/8" to RCA cable, based on their "home kit". So was there a control to turn up the volume on the RoadyXT?

Re: Control Aux input volume independently? - 13/12/2005 12:16

There are 6 different "output level" settings. The default level was 3. There isn't a huge difference between them, so I guess they're just there for fine adjustment. I plugged a Rio Forge into the aux and that's really low also.

Re: Control Aux input volume independently? - 17/10/2006 18:19

Coming back to this... I installed another XM portable hooked up to the empeg's AUX input. Just like before, I had to jack-up the AUX volume in Hijack.

Is this because the empeg expects an amplified source (headphone jack)? If so, is there anything I can buy that would make the line-out match the level expected by the empeg? The Hijack trick doesn't produce the cleanest audio (but XM's stream isn't sounding too great these days either).

Re: Control Aux input volume independently? - 17/10/2006 18:41

Actually, the Hijack method is not bad. I was just listening really closely on the new install (XM Sportscaster) with the AUX boosted 35 points (17.5db?) and it seems very clean.

The other install was a Roady XT. Although the Sportscaster is supposed to be the low-end unit (I think it looks sleek), the Roady XT install has a lot of noise that seems to be getting amplified by Hijack. I initially thought it was a problem with the method Hijack was using to boost the volume. I guess there is a ground problem or something similar with the Roady XT install.

(This still doesn't help XM's declining compression quality )

EDIT: Edit to reflect Hijacks boost number compared to dbs
Posted by: Snowshoe

Re: Control Aux input volume independently? - 20/12/2006 05:20

I had to up all audio outputs on my Delphi SkyFi also, both the SkyFi's audio output & use the Hijack boost function, currently set at 15 in Hijack. The SkyFi has 8 settings but I have it set to 8. Like he said there isn't much diff. in from 1-8 on the scale.