Another way to waste time at work.

Posted by: Heather

Another way to waste time at work. - 23/11/2005 15:16

The Grow cube.

No scoring, just gotta put it together in the right order to maximize the growth potential of each object.
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: Another way to waste time at work. - 23/11/2005 16:21

What do the springs do?
It seems to be a very strange game, I'm just ploking things down at random and stuff happens, improves....but how they are releated, ie what cause what to improve I can't figure out.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Another way to waste time at work. - 23/11/2005 16:34

That was pretty cool.
Posted by: frog51

Re: Another way to waste time at work. - 24/11/2005 11:34

That, RPG and ver 3 have just wasted over an hour of my time.

Thanks Heather
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Another way to waste time at work. - 24/11/2005 21:17

There's a specific order that everything goes together in. I'm pretty sure there are other versions of this game available as well. I haven't played this one, though. Thanks, Heather!
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Another way to waste time at work. - 27/11/2005 02:40

Got it on the 3rd serious try (after 2 WTF tries) after 4.5 hours. Much of that time was wasted obsessively maintaining my notes, from my initial thought that each item causes certain actions on others.

I realized that each needs a certain time out in play after maybe 2.5 hours, which quickly lead to my hypothesis, which could have been quickly solved by trial an error. But error's not as elegant as wasting your entire evening making sure it works perfectly as planned.

[SPOILER]
The order to put things out:
Guy Water Seeds ("Junk") Pot Tube Fire Dish Bone Springs Ball ("Round")

Try things in the wrong order to see the consequences.

Re: Another way to waste time at work. - 27/11/2005 05:07

I'm trying to solve the "Grow Version 3" now. The "RPG" was fun too.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Another way to waste time at work. - 27/11/2005 15:22

Yeah, the RPG was fun. v3 is terrible. There's no apparent reason for any of the things in it to be doing what they're doing, so it's just a trial-and-error exercise in finding which things need to go first. Not so much fun, IMO.
Posted by: adavidw

Re: Another way to waste time at work. - 27/11/2005 15:49

Yeah, what I liked about the cube is that there was at least the appearance of a connection between doing one thing and having another thing happen.

Re: Another way to waste time at work. - 27/11/2005 20:41

I think I read somewhere that Version 3 is just a revision of the first one of these that was made, which might explain why it's not as good.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Another way to waste time at work. - 27/11/2005 23:34

I can't get over the logic layout that the designer must have created to implement CUBE and RPG. There must be an efficient design solution, similar to making a tessellation by cutting and pasting from the sides. How the RPG has so many different incorrect "endings" is just clever.