XP NTFS question..

Posted by: durden

XP NTFS question.. - 14/03/2003 23:17

Is there a 130ish GB limit to formatting an NTFS drive when using XP (booting off the cd and installing XP on a new drive that hasnt been formatted)? I have noticed twice now on two different machines where I have put in 180gb drives and only been able to format 130gb of them, when I try to format it using the windows XP (pro) installation format utility. The first time it happened, I wrote it off as an old Bios / motherboard that couldnt support it.. But it turned out that we were able to format another 180gb drive in that machinewith no problem, *after* windows was installed (using windows disk management utility, or whatever its called)

But now, I have a brand new system, Intel E7205 chipset, and I seriously doubt there is a bios limitation going on here..

What's the word on this? I can't find info anywhere..
Posted by: StigOE

Re: XP NTFS question.. - 15/03/2003 01:35

XP has a limit of 137Gb unless you do some registry hacking, which might be a bit difficult during installation.... Do a search on the M$ site or on this BBS for 137Gb and you will find the registry hack. After XP is installed you could use Partition Magic to increase the partition.

Stig
Posted by: Glen_L

Re: XP NTFS question.. - 15/03/2003 06:03

Here you go...

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/lba.htm

Re: XP NTFS question.. - 15/03/2003 10:42

Yeah, I figured I would give XP SP1 a chance and see if it would work after I made the post; and sure enough it sees the "full" drive. I guess I can live with 2 partitions :P Thanks for the info!
Posted by: drakino

Re: XP NTFS question.. - 15/03/2003 23:07

You can "slipstream" an XP CD to SP1, so that it will be able to format the entire drive at initial boot. Complete instructions are here.

Re: XP NTFS question.. - 15/03/2003 23:59

Very useful. Much obliged!