Beta-10 released

Posted by: mac

Beta-10 released - 18/03/2000 08:03

<A HREF="http://www2.empeg.com/upgrades/">http://www2.empeg.com/upgrades/</A>

Please read the release notes before installing.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

NOTICE, EVERYONE: This thread is a very old thread and it is referring to 1.0 beta 10, not 2.0 beta 10. It was referenced as a joke and was not meant to fool you into thinking 2.0 beta 10 is available yet (it may be soon, but it's not in this thread). Do not try the link in this thread as it will not work because it is a very old link.
Posted by: Jens

Re: Beta-10 released - 18/03/2000 08:13

Mike - any release dates yet for the Mk2s? Also, how can I get a rough estimate on when I might get one? ie. How far down the order list am I?

J.

Posted by: phaigh

Re: Beta-10 released - 18/03/2000 09:42

Excellent stuff.

Working on a saturday, nearly as sad as me being inside on the internet! .

New visuals, (hopefully) no sync bugs, no keypress volume thing. This is the answer to the universe and everything.

Boy, I need to calm down.

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Reg: 4120 - Serial 00254
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Beta-10 released - 18/03/2000 10:21

You guys are awesome. I'm downloading the upgrade now, and I can't wait to see the new visuals.

One silly question. I think I already know the answer, though...

Around the time of 9c, Bobo figured out how to recompile the kernel to add our own custom bootup image. Has the kernel code changed since then (requiring us to recompile it again to get our custom bootup logos), or can I simply reapply my modified 9c kernel?

I think your answer will probably be: "Yes, the kernel changed when we were fixing the lost button-up bugs." But I just wanted to ask and make sure before I hounded Bobo to recompile another kernel for me.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

Re: Beta-10 released - 18/03/2000 10:38

Around the time of 9c, Bobo figured out how to recompile the kernel to add our own custom bootup image. Has the kernel code changed since then (requiring us to recompile it again to get our custom bootup logos), or can I simply reapply my modified 9c kernel?

Yes the kernel has changed and you'll probably find that the player fails to run on an older kernel. The kernel source patch is in the usual place though.

We're hoping to come up with a scheme whereby a startup image can be stored independently of the kernel in the future.

--
Mike Crowe

Re: Beta-10 released - 18/03/2000 10:48

We're hoping to come up with a scheme whereby a startup image can be stored independently of the kernel in the future.

Too cool. You guys are awesome. Thanks for the info.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

Re: Beta-10 released - 18/03/2000 11:23

Okay, just got beta 10 installed and I love it. The new visuals and track info modes are awesome. I love all the names for the visuals (especially since I suggested a couple of them).

I'm off to send a congratulatory e-mail to Toby at Prolux.

Thanks again for such great software updates!

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144
Posted by: andy

Re: Beta-10 released - 19/03/2000 04:58

Can I suggest that while you're doing this you put in support for very simple animated startup images, along the lines of aminated GIFs.

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...
Posted by: phaigh

Re: Beta-10 released - 19/03/2000 10:56

Just a quick follow-up on the Beta-10:

No sign of a sync bug, and I've been actively trying to make it fall over. (Doing *lots* of stuff in the background, disconnecting, etc). Could this be a final no-sync bug release?

No sign of the volume bug either, but this has always been difficult to reproduce. I tried the steps defined by Tony in a seperate post. No sign yet. Tony, you tried this yet?

All in all, I like the new visuals, but I'd like to be able to get rid on the 'fade' on the 3D ones (especially ShapeScape - it doesn't happen all of the time).

The new visual namings are excellent!

Rob, et. al. : You chickened out of Spurm then..... disappointing .

No complaints at all - you even sorted out the volume speed - it's just [GrahamNorton]soooo[/GrahamNorton] good.

A public thank you to the empeg guys (and Tony - the honorary tester/poster) - this is the business.

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Reg: 4120 - Serial 00254
Posted by: prolux

Re: Beta-10 released - 19/03/2000 18:13

>>> All in all, I like the new visuals, but I'd like to be able to get rid on the 'fade' on the 3D ones (especially ShapeScape - it doesn't happen all of the time).

Yes, the way the fade is turned on and off is not very good for some visuals in Beta 10. At the moment, the type of fade (if any) is selected at random when the visual initialises.

In the long term greater control over visual modifiers should mean that you can choose your favorite variation rather than have it chosen for you.

Toby

Posted by: dionysus

Random Visuals - 19/03/2000 18:24

On that note, how hard would it be to have a visual selection, which randomly (every 30 seconds or so?) changes the visuals around?
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units
Posted by: Verement

Re: Beta-10 released - 19/03/2000 20:38

I'm getting an error while trying to apply the kernel patch:

patch: **** malformed patch at line 1088: @@ -67,6 +99,108 @@

It looks like there are some lines missing in the patch. Is the file corrupted?

-v

Posted by: danthep

Re: Beta-10 released - 19/03/2000 23:43

From all reports this sounds like a nice upgrade. Has no one else had trouble installing it? I can download it all i want, and upgrade the empeg with the downloaded file all i want. but everytime the empeg reboots there is still old 9c on there...

PS yes i've emailed bugs@empeg, still awaiting response... but all the reports of nice new features is making me impatient...

Re: Beta-10 released - 20/03/2000 00:29

Could this be a final no-sync bug release?

Wow, imagine that. Let's see... Empeg squashes the last synch bug and Daikatana goes gold in the same week? It's the seventh sign!

No sign of the volume bug either, but this has always been difficult to reproduce. I tried the steps defined by Tony in a seperate post. No sign yet. Tony, you tried this yet?

Well, even with those steps, I was only able to reproduce it very intermittently. And I never had it happen to me in "real life". No, I haven't seen it happen yet, but only time will tell whether the volume bug is gone with Beta-10.

Actually, I'm not going to be doing much with the Empeg for a few days other than letting it sit on my desk and play tunes. I just got a new car, and I'm waiting for Crutchfield to send me some wiring harnesses and installation master sheets. If anyone wants any info on installing Emma into a 2000 Honda Accord Special Edition, ask me about it in a week or so.

Also, my second disk drive is on its way, and I have several albums I want to upload when it gets installed. So I'll let everyone know if I get any synch bugs with Beta 10...

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

Re: Beta-10 released - 20/03/2000 04:19

It looks like there are some lines missing in the patch. Is the file corrupted?

That'll teach me to hand edit patches. I just took out a load of rubbish that was #if 0'd out.

It should be fixed now. (A simple matter of leaving the rubbish in!)

--
Mike Crowe
Posted by: prolux

Re: Random Visuals - 20/03/2000 05:31

In theory this would be straight forward to have a setting that cycles through all known visuals either randomly, or tied to track changes.

However, in the longterm this is probably not necessary, as visuals should become more customizable soon.

Toby

Posted by: drakino

Re: Beta-10 released - 20/03/2000 05:34

Wow, imagine that. Let's see... Empeg squashes the last synch bug and Daikatana goes gold in the same week? It's the seventh
sign!

Good thing Daikatana really didn't go gold, or we wouldn't be able to enjoy beta 10 for long.

Overall I do like Beta 10. And whatever they did to make emplode syncs more stable is working so well, it can even deal with my d.net client throwing junk at the serial port at the same time it's using serial to talk to the player.

My empeg site is:http://24.236.3.131/empeg/

Posted by: Big John

Re: Beta-10 released - 20/03/2000 08:39

Hi,

In reply to:

In the long term greater control over visual modifiers should mean that you can choose your favorite variation rather than have it chosen for you.

All that said, I was still impressed enough to nearly crash the car driving to London last night playing with the new visuals etc. Excellent, keep them coming. What about an option for a random visual select?

Regards,

Re: Beta-10 released - 20/03/2000 08:48

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the new release (Mike & co.) - excellent! Nice to see the additional ASCII menu commands embedded too, they work well. Although my 10 year old son managed to lock the player out with continuious beeps emitting when I left the room for a few minutes. We were only using the remote control and it was an unrecoverable condition. The player needed a power cycle to recover and I haven't managed to repeat the effect since.

Any idea when we might get 4800 baud RS232 support when docked in the sled?

Regards,

Re: Beta-10 released - 20/03/2000 08:52

Hi,

Ignore me previous post, as it's already been asked and replied. I'll read ahead a bit next time!

Regards,

Re: Beta-10 released - 20/03/2000 09:00

It occurs to me that this would really mess some people up, wouldn't it? Like those who have made an in-home docking connector? Perhaps more useful would be an "advanced" menu option on the Empeg to set the baud rate? (Probably next to the HDD icon toggle).

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144
Posted by: Nils

Re: Random Visuals - 20/03/2000 09:12

Hi !
taliking about visuals/infos ... One thing is still not solved:

The infos overlay the visuals and so you cannot really enjoy the visuals without manually switcing off the infos ...

So this could be solved by:

-1- IF you activate the line info, compress the visual in vertical direction, so the visual is completely visible, althought compressed.

-2- Much better in my opinion would be the selection to only display the info for 5 or 10 seconds after track change, then only the visual is displayed, this can't be too difficult ?!

P.S. still i like beta 10 :-) , but please handle this "Info covering Visuals" issue smarter ...

Posted by: Verement

Re: Beta-10 released - 20/03/2000 09:52

That helped.

Thanks!
-v

Re: Random Visuals - 20/03/2000 11:43

Much better in my opinion would be the selection to only display the info for 5 or 10 seconds after track change, then only the visual is displayed, this can't be too difficult ?

Yeah, I suggested this one a while back, too. I like the idea of a selectable MTV-style info-flash at the start of a new track. Hugo seemed receptive to the idea, but it hasn't been implemented yet. Hugo, if you're listenening, what are your feelings on this feature?

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

Re: Random Visuals - 21/03/2000 02:13

-1- IF you activate the line info, compress the visual in vertical direction, so the visual is completely visible, althought compressed.
YES YES YES!!! this is exactly the first thing i thought when i first got the empeg and played with the visuals. Don't know why i never got around to posting my thoughts.
-2- Much better in my opinion would be the selection to only display the info for 5 or 10 seconds after track change
This sounds like a good alternative too, i'd have to test it test it too be sure. I mean i might tearing around a tight hairpin, or overtaking, etc etc, when the track changes. By the time my eyes are free to look at the empeg, the track info will be gone.

Re: Beta-10 released - 21/03/2000 03:13

Hi,

In reply to:

It occurs to me that this would really mess some people up, wouldn't it? Like those who have made an in-home docking connector? Perhaps more useful would be an "advanced" menu option on the Empeg to set the baud rate? (Probably next to the HDD icon toggle).

Note: Support for 4800, not default. Yep, an empeg setup menu option would be ideal. i.e. empeg | assessory | baud rate | 1200,4800,9600,19200,38400,57600,115200,230400 |

Regards,

Posted by: schofiel

Re: Beta-10 released - 21/03/2000 04:11

A brief, public vote of thanks to Mike and the rest of the guys (& of course Toby at Prolux) for a solid, gently-improved evolution of the empeg software.

The amount of work that has gone in to this is of course not immediately apparent, but given that it appears to have almost overnight reduced Synch complaints 100%, then maybe it is. Congratulations to you all.

Me, I'm revelling in Hula Hoops to the "Stingray" theme tune ("Stand by for Action! Anything can happen in the next release!" )

Posted by: Lord Bleys

Re: Beta-10 released - 21/03/2000 05:33

I've been unplugged for a bit. Good to be back.

I have only one nagging question about beta-10 (so far): Toilet Floor???

*snicker* There has GOT to be a story behind that...

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca
Posted by: Lord Bleys

Re: Beta-10 released - 21/03/2000 05:35

I concur, Schofiel; hats off to the Empeg team!

(So far so good. The "consumer" release has been rock solid...)

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca

Re: Random Visuals - 21/03/2000 09:01

-2- Much better in my opinion would be the selection to only display the info for 5 or 10 seconds after track change
This sounds like a good alternative too, i'd have to test it test it too be sure. I mean i might tearing around a tight hairpin, or overtaking, etc etc, when the track changes. By the time my eyes are free to look at the empeg, the track info will be gone.

For the most part, what I want the "flashed" track info for is the songs that start quietly. I'd like to know what song it is as the quiet part fades in. By the time it's ten seconds into the song, I usually know which one it is.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Beta-10 released - 30/03/2000 20:58

Also, my second disk drive is on its way,

So, tell us, Tony, did you cheap out on us and get that paltry little 6GB unit, or did you do it right and go 10, 15, even 18GB?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"
Posted by: Gazz

Re: Random Visuals - 31/01/2002 06:55

It would be so cool to select a random visual from a group of your favorite visuals each time a new song starts.
The trouble is there is so many cool visuals I can't decide which one to have on and tend to change them with the remote all the time instead of looking at the road. Gazz.

Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Random Visuals - 31/01/2002 07:00

Okay, here I am ... all excited that 2.00beat10 is out

So maybe telling people to do a search ISN'T always the best thing to do? hehe
Posted by: Gazz

Re: Random Visuals - 31/01/2002 07:03

Yeah I did a search first, The only mention of random visuals was in this thread Ages ago. Gazz.

Re: Random Visuals - 31/01/2002 07:08

Hey, I commend you for doing the search! I've been nailed a few times for not doing it!

I think you may have limited your search to the "General Discussion" forum instead of All Forums, because there is an active thread in the Wish List forum here:
Posted by: furtive

Re: Beta-10 released - 31/01/2002 07:10

Has the server fallen over due to all the downloads? I can't seem to get to it...

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Re: Beta-10 released - 31/01/2002 07:27

You wont find it... this is a REALLY old thread.

Tony Fabris' name is still yellow, and he hadn't even installed his 2nd drive yet or installed in his Accord!

I also think this is before the MkII's were available. Look at the sig's.... everyone has 6GB MkI's!!

This is when I was lurking and only visited every few months! wow!

Re: Beta-10 released - 31/01/2002 07:36

D'oh! I should have noticed the original post date of 18/03/00.
Posted by: LTJBukem

Re: Beta-10 released - 31/01/2002 07:49

This is just cruelty !

Re: Beta-10 released - 31/01/2002 07:56

What - bumping this thread to the top?
Posted by: LTJBukem

Re: Beta-10 released - 31/01/2002 08:06

Yes

Re: Beta-10 released - 31/01/2002 15:50

I didn't realise until i saw some newbie called danthep posting about problems flashing the empeg.

I thought someone stole my nick!
Posted by: Terminator

Re: Beta-10 released - 31/01/2002 15:53

lol!
Posted by: Nosferatu

Re: Beta-10 released - 31/01/2002 15:57

Am I dumb, I cannot access to the site to download Beta10.

address is :

http://www2.empeg.com/updates

Is it good or is it me ?
Posted by: loren

Re: Beta-10 released - 31/01/2002 15:59

LOL..

Read the date on the first post of this thread....

Re: Beta-10 released - 31/01/2002 16:00

More of a trip down memory lane... I think this is Hugo's first post?

http://empeg.comms.net/php/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=hackers_prog&Number=4019&Search=true&Forum=CatSearch-3&Words=altman&Match=Username&Searchpage=2&Limit=500&Old=allposts&Main=4019

Re: Beta-10 released - 31/01/2002 16:04

Goodness gracious, I think I may have to lock this thread to prevent it from popping up again.

Okay, I'll do that:

NOTICE, EVERYONE: This thread is a very old thread and it is referring to 1.0 beta 10, not 2.0 beta 10. It was referenced as a joke and was not meant to fool you into thinking 2.0 beta 10 is available yet (it may be soon, but it's not in this thread). Do not try the link in this thread as it will not work because it is a very old link.