New in-car MP3 solution! :)

Posted by: canuckInOR

New in-car MP3 solution! :) - 18/06/2004 01:49

Posted on Slashdot:

http://www.dme.org/log/2004/06/16/project-icece

It's a toss-up, but I think I'd still stick with my empeg. Note the very first comment (not mine!).
Posted by: Shonky

Re: New in-car MP3 solution! :) - 18/06/2004 02:16

Hmmm and slashdotted too it would seem.... Google cache has it... hmmm even google cache seems to be having issues for some reason. Should be here.

He even mentions Hugo's original project, which I also based my original car MP3 player off.
Posted by: Shonky

Re: New in-car MP3 solution! :) - 18/06/2004 02:17

Hang on. This guy is running a Sun server in his car? That's pretty insane if you ask me.

Don't know how this classes as Slashdot news. Woopdeedoo. The guy took a massive server, whacked an inverter on it and wrote some primitive scripts to play MP3s. Who cares?

The empeg reference in the first comment was nice and shows we are still though of.

Does appear to be a slashdot troll though. The pics show it still on castors. He couldn't possibly drive around like that.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: New in-car MP3 solution! :) - 18/06/2004 08:21

If you can get to the page, it's obviously intended as a joke. He may actually be doing it, but that just makes it a practical joke.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: New in-car MP3 solution! :) - 18/06/2004 20:33

He may actually be doing it, but that just makes it a practical joke.
More of an impractical joke, really.
Posted by: JonnyGee

Re: New in-car MP3 solution! :) - 08/07/2004 15:52

It's clearly a completely inappropriate technological solution. The application obviously requires an SGI Onyx

Cheers, John
Posted by: webroach

Re: New in-car MP3 solution! :) - 09/07/2004 05:27

So if I drag one of my Octanes out to the car do I get to be on Slashdot? Or do I need to figure out how to put RedHat on it first?

Heh....just realised.....Octane....car.....heh...
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: New in-car MP3 solution! :) - 09/07/2004 08:18

OK, everybody... 1... 2... 3...

<groan>

Posted by: genixia

Re: New in-car MP3 solution! :) - 09/07/2004 12:36

Quote:
So if I drag one of my Octanes out to the car do I get to be on Slashdot?

No - that wouldn't be upping the ante enough. If you could drag 4 out make a beowulf, make it play Oggs and live in Russia then you'd be set for Slashdot Glory.
Posted by: webroach

Re: New in-car MP3 solution! :) - 11/07/2004 08:41

Most I could do right now is 2. I could duct tape an o2 and an old Indigo 2 together though if that would help!