Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#144482 - 19/02/2003 09:49 Streaming MP3-Audio and Rio-Car / Empeg ??
pittmike
new poster

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
A little story and a little question to it, to all the Riocar-Software-Hackers out there:

Last evening I upgraded my WinAMP installation on my home pc, connected the sound card to the home entertainment system and did listen to streaming mp3-radio that is out there (so called ShoutCAST streams that are supported by WinAMP).

So I tought that it is a pretty overkill to have the PC running all the time for that stuff, and I looked at my Rio that was also hooked onto the stereo. So heres my idea now:

- The RioCar / Empeg has the built-in Ethernet Port with TCPIP stack...
- You can connect that box to the internet (with the right hardware, ie router and IP-Address and stuff)
- What if you could start an application that shows you a list of ShoutCast servers to connect to (list manually maintained)
- What if this software would hook up to the MP3 stream on the internet and actually PLAYS the stream to your stereo

Wouldn't that be a nifty piece of Ware?? You could listen to your favorite Shoutcast streams from home without requiring to boot that ol' PC and a lot of crosswiring of the room where you only trip over it once you're drunk.... :-)

So, I'll open the poll for that. Unfortunately I am not able to ride the app.development on the Linux platform, only on a Win-Box. But I think there are a lot of co-freaks out there that would maybe like to look into it.

#144483 - 19/02/2003 10:20 Re: Streaming MP3-Audio and Rio-Car / Empeg ?? [Re: pittmike]
tman
carpal tunnel

Look here for the RioPlay application. It will replace the player application that comes with your empeg and does let you stream stuff. It's lacking a few important features like the equaliser and stuff but it does work. Not sure if it's still being maintained though.

- Trevor

#144484 - 19/02/2003 11:27 Re: Streaming MP3-Audio and Rio-Car / Empeg ?? [Re: tman]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
IWBNI an application doing stream decoding could Hijack the Aux input, and work with the player app on this. If you can inject the stream for the player to see as its Aux, then you'd get the player's equaliser, visualisations, etc. for free, and get RDS TA interrupts if you wanted.

I don't actually have an interest in this project; I just like to see things done right...

#144485 - 19/02/2003 13:31 Re: Streaming MP3-Audio and Rio-Car / Empeg ?? [Re: tman]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Reading the thread, it mentions that using it in the car wouldn't really work as it requires using the serial line to start/stop it. Not sure if it that could be handled by EXEC_ONCE or launcher or what.. Has anyone tried doing this yet?