Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#276934 - 07/03/2006 00:53 Need help with Empeg Program
faceless041974
new poster

Loc: Chicago, IL
I just bought a new computer and it doesnt have a serial port. I know you need one to switch over to use the ethernet connection. I bought a serial to USB connection but that doesnt work either. Is there any way to switch over to the Ethernet cable?

#276935 - 07/03/2006 05:37 Re: Need help with Empeg Program [Re: faceless041974]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The empeg player should, by default, work on the ethernet plug. When you plug it into a properly-configured ethernet network and apply power to it, it should get a DHCP address And Just Work. So you can load music that way.

You cannot, however, upgrade its internal firmware without a serial port. If the player is not running the latest firmware (2.0 final is what you should be using), then you will want to do this as soon as possible. Also the popular Hijack Kernel can only be installed via the serial port the first time. And Hijack is very useful, so you also want a serial port so you can do this.

For more answers to your questions, click here.

#276936 - 07/03/2006 12:47 Re: Need help with Empeg Program [Re: faceless041974]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Note that if you do not have a network, you can do ethernet directly to the PC using a crossover cable, but you must set the IP address on the empeg with a serial cable or serial/usb cable first, which doesn't really help you much.

Are you sure you're using the serial cable that came with the Empeg? It's not a standard cable...it's a null modem cable.

Have you tried connecting via USB?