Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#236332 - 03/10/2004 15:56 Serial connector on ML HomeDock?
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
I tried to hook up thru the serial connector on a ML HomeDock and it would not work. ML says that it won't work due to nature of it. I am wondering why the serial connector is used for on a homedock? Please forgive my ignorance. I am about two or three years behind on docs, trying to catch up!
Thanks!

#236333 - 03/10/2004 16:26 Re: Serial connector on ML HomeDock? [Re: Ladmo]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
You can't upgrade using the serial port on the dock because the empeg only listens for upgrades when it's on AC power, and it senses AC power by the physical plug being inserted. Mark does some tomfoolery with the docking connector and makes the empeg pretend to be on AC power, but he can't do this before hijack is loaded, which is when upgrading happens.

It is possible to put a dummy jack in the dock so that it knows it's on AC power, as Tony recently described doing, but this has the downside that you're causing rather rough wear on the AC Shensor Shwitch every time you put it in the dock.

Another option that I don't think anyone's used is to get the barrel connector from radio shack and just put it in your empeg befor putting it in the dock when you want to upgrade. Or just use the ethernet upgrader which is faster anyways.

Matthew

#236334 - 03/10/2004 16:33 Re: Serial connector on ML HomeDock? [Re: matthew_k]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
It is possible to put a dummy jack in the dock so that it knows it's on AC power, as Tony recently described doing, but this has the downside that you're causing rather rough wear on the AC Shensor Shwitch every time you put it in the dock.

I don't believe that installing the jack in the dock, if it's done properly, is any more or less rough than putting a jack in place by hand each time.

Whether it's a dummy jack inserted by hand, the actual AC brick inserted by hand, or a jack built into the dock, it's all just a barrel connector going into the jack. There is also the argument that if you're doing it in a dock, it goes in straight and centered each time, thus potentially being better than a hand-insertion.

No jokes on "insertion" please.

#236335 - 03/10/2004 16:38 Re: Serial connector on ML HomeDock? [Re: Ladmo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I am wondering why the serial connector is used for on a homedock?

In Mark's dock, the serial connector works for everything except flash memory upgrades. The reason for that is here, as well as detailed descriptions of workarounds.

Even without the ability to do flash upgrades, the serial connector can be used for a lot of other stuff.

If you decide to insert your own barrel connector, make sure it matches the specifications.

#236336 - 04/10/2004 06:42 Re: Serial connector on ML HomeDock? [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
...the serial connector can be used for a lot of other stuff

Yeah, I use the serial connector from the dock for a lot of different things. When I want to slap an upgrade on there, I just pull the empeg out of the dock and plug the power in directly. I mean -- how often are you applying flash upgrades?

#236337 - 04/10/2004 23:15 Re: Serial connector on ML HomeDock? [Re: Roger]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
What kind of different things, Roger?
Thanks

#236338 - 05/10/2004 02:47 Re: Serial connector on ML HomeDock? [Re: Ladmo]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Monitoring the console of the device, running commands on it especially if you don't have telnetd going...

#236339 - 05/10/2004 06:50 Re: Serial connector on ML HomeDock? [Re: Daria]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Monitoring the console of the device, running commands on it especially if you don't have telnetd going...

Yeah, what he said. These days I don't get much time to do anything, though.