Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#207035 - 26/02/2004 10:25 Help In Canada?? Problem with Empeg
DemonSeed
journeyman

Hello,
My empeg the other day started saying "No Hard Disk Found Contact Support". I have seen the error before and usually all that was required was for me to open the unit unplug IDE cable and re insert. Well today I tried this numerous times with negative results. I actually tried to remove the cable from the two hard drives and found out it was glued!! I ended up breaking the IDE plug and now need a new one. I have checked around and I can not seem to find any available. Can anyone suggest where to buy a replacement?

If the replacement does not work, is there anyone in Canada who could take a look at my empeg and possibly repair it for me? Please email me direct I would appreciate it very much.
Thanks
Jim

#207036 - 26/02/2004 10:28 Re: Help In Canada?? Problem with Empeg [Re: DemonSeed]
russmeister
enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
This is as good a place to pick one up as any. There's also a link at the top of the page to their homepage.

#207037 - 26/02/2004 11:13 Re: Help In Canada?? Problem with Empeg [Re: DemonSeed]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I actually tried to remove the cable from the two hard drives and found out it was glued!!
This is because you (a) didn't read the FAQ entry about the 'no hard disk found' error, and (b) didn't follow and read the disk upgrade guide that was sub-linked from that FAQ entry, which gave very clear instructions and pictures of the glue.

Read these things, people!

Note that after you replace the cable you destroyed, you will continue to get the 'no hard disk found' error, because your problem was never the cable to begin with. If unplugging and replugging the cable at the motherboard, as you described, was what fixed it, all you were doing was flexing the IDE header which temporarily fixed up the IDE header solder problem which eventually went bad again. Either that or the disk drive itself has gone bad, or it's another one of the problems listed there.

Please read through that FAQ entry in detail, and read through the disk upgrade guide, before doing any more work on the player.

#207038 - 26/02/2004 11:49 Re: Help In Canada?? Problem with Empeg [Re: DemonSeed]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Hi,

I am in Canada (Ottawa), and regularly repair empegs from around the world. Contact me by email (mlord at pobox dot com) to arrange things.

Edited by mlord (26/02/2004 11:50)