Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#42947 - 20/10/2001 10:55 Possibly buying a new RioCar
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Okay I currently have a MkII with 36 GB (2 x 18GB.) Two things happened which are making me consider buying a RioCar... First I dropped my Empeg from 3 feet and broke the handle (thank $DEITY that's all I broke!!!!!!!) and then they dropped $300 off the price of the 10GB model. $699 is still a lot of cash but I would also have the option of selling my MkII once I fix the handle.

So I'm posting in Technical to ask what the process might be to move everything on my MkII to the new MkIIa. I want to take the two HD's out of my Empeg and install them in the RioCar, and then move the 10GB drive into the Empeg. I would want to preserve my music, settings, etc. I know there's a clone tool but it doesn't seem that would work for what I'm trying to do. Is it as simple as taking the drives out of the old one and putting them in the new? Somehow I don't think so... I've seen multiple cases where people wanted to do weird upgrades with various configurations, but I hadn't seen one like this... So what would I do? Oh, I'm not asking how to do the HD installs because I've done those before.

Right now I have the Sonic Blue E-store in another window and I'm SO close to buying a RioCar.... Ugh it's killing me!

-Tony
MkII #554

#42948 - 20/10/2001 11:15 Re: Possibly buying a new RioCar [Re: tonyc]
edwin

Loc: Druten, The Netherlands
You can just go ahead and transplant those two drives from your mk2 to the mk2a. You won't lose any settings, since all is stored on the disk(s). Just make sure to begin with synchronizing the software version!
The empegclone tool is just meant for transfering the mp3 files (?) and doesn't copy over settings and such (?). I can only imagine the clone tool to be handy when transfering the contents to a different size empeg (without 'transplanting' the drives).

Good luck!

ญญ______________
Edwin de Vaan

#42949 - 20/10/2001 11:33 Re: Possibly buying a new RioCar [Re: tonyc]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
It IS as simple as taking the drive out of the first and putting it into the second, BUT YOU'LL VOID YOUR WARRANTY.
-mark

This space used in memory of the victims from 09/11/01

#42950 - 20/10/2001 12:24 Re: Possibly buying a new RioCar [Re: dionysus]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Yah like I said I installed a HD in my MkII so I'm aware of the warranty situation. Hey Empeg guys, is there any way I could send you my Empeg and have you do this operation and still maintain my warranty? One of the major advantages of getting a RioCar is getting the warranty back...

-Tony
MkII #554