Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#326680 - 14/10/2009 20:50 Is there a simple file encryption method?
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I have a file on my computer that I would like to encrypt, but don't want to jump through all the hoops that Windows is asking for, like off-site certificates, etc.

I just want the computer to ask me for a password when I try to open the file. The data is not earth-shattering, war would not break out if someone read the file, but I would just as soon be the only one with access to it.

Is there a free utility that would do this? Prime requirement here is to be hassle free, even at the expense of absolute security.

tanstaafl.

#326682 - 14/10/2009 20:57 Re: Is there a simple file encryption method? [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
File compression programs like Zip and Arj and Rar offer password protection options. They're not terribly secure, but they'll slow down anyone who doesn't know about (or can't be bothered with) obtaining a zip-cracker.

Other option: You can right-click on the file, select properties and select security, and set security permissions on the file so that only a given user (ideally, yourself) can access it. That particular trick only works if a) you never copy it to another media or another computer, and b) you never let anyone else operate your computer while it is logged in under your personal user account.

Finally, there are third-party encryption utilities. I wonder if "PGP" will do what you need?

#326683 - 14/10/2009 20:58 Re: Is there a simple file encryption method? [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

If its an Office document then you should be able to set (bad) password protection on it via the actual application.

#326684 - 14/10/2009 21:40 Re: Is there a simple file encryption method? [Re: tman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Can Truecrypt do single files? I've been searching their site and the internet for several minutes, and I can't tell...

#326686 - 14/10/2009 21:46 Re: Is there a simple file encryption method? [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
It depends on what you're trying to do. If you want to make sure that no one can access that file but you, even if they sit down at your computer logged in as you (your forgot to lock your screen or whatever), then there's pretty much no way for it to be transparent. You'd have to do something to check the file out and then check it back in.

Probably the least inconvenient thing would be to have an encrypted mountable filesystem image. That way it remains unlocked as long as you're using it, then you just have to remember to unmount it. TrueCrypt will do this.

You could also encrypt an individual file, but this would pretty much require that you unencrypt it and re-encrypt it every time.

Maybe if you gave us a little more intended usage pattern, it might help.

#326687 - 14/10/2009 21:56 Re: Is there a simple file encryption method? [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
My Lockbox sounds like it might be more up your alley. It can encrypt an existing folder.

#326690 - 15/10/2009 01:45 Re: Is there a simple file encryption method? [Re: wfaulk]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Maybe if you gave us a little more intended usage pattern, it might help.

It is an Excel file. I just want it to ask for a password if I (or anybody else) try to open it. When I supply the password, I want the file to open. When I finish looking at it and editing/changing it, I want to close the file and have it still be password protected.

If it matters, I am running Windows Vista. I have to supply a password to log in when I boot up the computer. I just want an additional password for this one file.

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
My Lockbox sounds like it might be more up your alley. It can encrypt an existing folder.

It's more complex than I am looking for. It won't work for a single file, and hides the folder away where I have to do special things to find it and deal with the unencryption. I just want something to ask for a password when I open that one file.

tanstaafl.

Edited by tanstaafl. (15/10/2009 01:50)

#326691 - 15/10/2009 02:09 Re: Is there a simple file encryption method? [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris
File compression programs like Zip and Arj and Rar offer password protection options. They're not terribly secure, but they'll slow down anyone who doesn't know about (or can't be bothered with) obtaining a zip-cracker.

Tony, that's almost exactly what I was looking for. It is a little bit cumbersome exiting the file, verifying that I want to update the archive and delete the temporary file, but it's just a couple of extra mouse clicks. The [lack of] ultimate security is appropriate to the value and sensitivity of the data.

Now I just have to find and delete the original (unzipped) files in my backups and the recycle bin.

Thanks!

tanstaafl.

#326694 - 15/10/2009 03:08 Re: Is there a simple file encryption method? [Re: tanstaafl.]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
Excel has password protection built in.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSaok6QeG_c

Though, the protection is fairly easy to crack as with archive passwords.
ricin.us

#326695 - 15/10/2009 05:17 Re: Is there a simple file encryption method? [Re: ricin]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: ricin
Excel has password protection built in.

Interesting video. I knew that I could password-protect a spreadsheet from being edited by using the Tools-->Protect Worksheet function, but didn't know I could keep it from being opened by going to the Security settings.

It's a pretty cumbersome process to open the file, though... in the video he entered four passwords before he could finally get to it. I've set my file up by zipping it with a password, using WinZip, and that works pretty well for me.

tanstaafl.

#326696 - 15/10/2009 05:40 Re: Is there a simple file encryption method? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
in the video he entered four passwords before he could finally get to it.

I didn't look at the video, but I just tried Excel 2007, and it's a single password. You encrypt by going to "Orb" -> Prepare -> Encrypt Document. You enter your chosen password twice. Then you close the document. When you open the document, you're prompted for the password once.