Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#311424 - 17/06/2008 14:41 Bluetooth Headset Recommendations
visuvius
addict

A new law goes into effect here in California starting July 1st which prohibits cell phone use while driving. No less than 5 people have asked me to buy them one of these damn things and I myself need one but I haven't looked at them in quite some time. The only one I ever tried was really uncomfortable and wasn't loud at all.

SO, can anyone give me a couple recommendations? Only real requirements are comfort and a decent price.

Thanks!

#311426 - 17/06/2008 18:48 Re: Bluetooth Headset Recommendations [Re: visuvius]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I have the same problem. I got a Bluetooth speakerphone for the car instead. I opted for a solar-powered one so that I wouldn't have to have power cables trailing everywhere.

#311428 - 17/06/2008 19:02 Re: Bluetooth Headset Recommendations [Re: wfaulk]
lastdan
enthusiast

Loc: santa cruz,ca
the Plantronics 320 (voyager?) fits my ear well, was dirt cheap (it's an older unit) and holds a charge very very well. the down side for me is that the charger is a little odd, there are not a lot of cheap car chargers last I checked, and the range is not that good at all. but I have 3, and I like them more than any other I've used. someone gave me a new( not yet on the market at the time) Plantronics unit (can't remember the model) and I hate the way it sounds. point being that everyone will have likes and dislikes about fit, sound and so on.

if I lost all of the units I have now, I would buy another 320 even with it's poor range.

hope that helps.

#311429 - 17/06/2008 19:57 Re: Bluetooth Headset Recommendations [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I have the same problem. I got a Bluetooth speakerphone for the car instead. I opted for a solar-powered one so that I wouldn't have to have power cables trailing everywhere.

That's a cool product, Bitt. I have a need for one of these.

I really liked my Sony Ericsson headset, but it recently died even though it's only recently been through heavy use, and was only about a year old. Does anyone have experience with the Jawbone headsets? I like the idea of noise cancellation.

And sorry for the slight tangent, but does anyone know if a simple bluetooth A2DP reciever?

#311431 - 17/06/2008 20:50 Re: Bluetooth Headset Recommendations [Re: Dignan]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
I'm pretty happy with my Blueant Supertooth II

Although it's not a headset as such. Lasts about a month between charges in "standby" depending on how much you use it. It worked great switching to and from the handset with my Nokia 6230. Not so good with my Nokia E61. Works quite well with me new imate Ultimate 8502 (WM6)
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#311438 - 17/06/2008 23:42 Re: Bluetooth Headset Recommendations [Re: wfaulk]
visuvius
addict

That looks pretty cool. How is it? Can people hear you and is it loud enough? I really like the idea of no cables and not having to charge.

Those stereo bluetooth headsets don't work with the iphone right? That looks really appealing to me but I think I read that it doesn't work for some reason.

#311440 - 18/06/2008 00:19 Re: Bluetooth Headset Recommendations [Re: visuvius]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
The speaker is definitely loud enough. I sometimes have some trouble with people understanding me, but this is the first BT audio device I've had, it's a new phone, and the cell service around here sucks. So I'm not sure where the problem lies.

#311445 - 18/06/2008 01:53 Re: Bluetooth Headset Recommendations [Re: visuvius]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: visuvius
Those stereo bluetooth headsets don't work with the iphone right? That looks really appealing to me but I think I read that it doesn't work for some reason.

No, the iPhone doesn't have A2DP. The iPhone 3G appears to not have it either. No one is certain why, but it's probably due to the sub-par audio quality you get over bluetooth.

#311447 - 18/06/2008 03:39 Re: Bluetooth Headset Recommendations [Re: Dignan]
visuvius
addict

Hmmm. Darn. Stereo bluetooth headphones sound pretty awesome on paper. Ah well. I think I'm going to try the thing Bitt linked to.

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

#311453 - 18/06/2008 10:28 Re: Bluetooth Headset Recommendations [Re: visuvius]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: visuvius
Hmmm. Darn. Stereo bluetooth headphones sound pretty awesome on paper.

I still want it, despite the poorer sound quality. I hate headphone cables, which are always too long or too short. It always seems like they get caught on stuff.

I had a pair of Logitech bluetooth headphones for a while, which talked to a transmitter that plugged into a standard headphone jack. It was amazing the amount of freedom it gave, but the headphones were designed poorly and started breaking on me. The band was made out of rigid plastic and was clearly made for smaller heads than my size 8, so they started splitting in the back of the band where there was a seam.

I'd love A2DP in the new iPhone, so I could get a pair of these.