Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#233993 - 19/09/2004 21:19 Firewall/router
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Anyone got any suggestions as to a good quality software package to run on a PC platform with mulitple NICs, operating as a Firewall and NAT router? Decent administration interface, preferably point and click rather than command line. I DON'T want a package to run on Windoze - I need it to take over the hardware as a complete platform, and be resistant/flexible.

Over to you....
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#233994 - 19/09/2004 22:02 Re: Firewall/router [Re: schofiel]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
Anyone got any suggestions as to a good quality software package to run on a PC platform with mulitple NICs, operating as a Firewall and NAT router?

Gibraltar + fwbuilder

The former a read-only, boot-from-CDROM iptables-oriented Linux distribution (with /etc saved to floppy or USB key), the latter a GUI rules generator that will output rules for iptables among others. I just started working with fwbuilder after looking at it a year or so ago. Much improved from the installation standpoint (like RPMs, even, that work).

Of course, this might be too easy. I suspect maybe you would rather solder a few additional ethernet onto a WRT54G?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#233995 - 19/09/2004 22:13 Re: Firewall/router [Re: schofiel]
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
floppyfw or any number of variants would work nicely. I've used this, but it is command line based. Somewhere in my searching I did come across a site that would build the distro for you w/o you having to touch vi or a commandline. YMMV.

#233996 - 20/09/2004 09:13 Re: Firewall/router [Re: schofiel]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
ClarkConnect

Free for personal use. I use it at home and also for our work firewall (paid version for work). Does nearly everything I want (DNS the exception).

Web, Firewall, FTP, SMTP, IMAP, POP3, NAT, Port forwarding, Intrusion detection etc.

Doesn't do DNS, but since it's Redhat based it's not that hard to add if you really need it.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)