Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#363402 - 07/02/2015 16:15 Duplexer goes away
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Every time I reboot, my computer decides that my printer (HP CP2025dn) no longer duplexes, and I have to go into Control Panel and re-enable it. How can I make the boot process believe that my printer really, truly is duplex capable? I think this problem may have started with the new computer and Windows 8.1.

Interestingly enough, this only seems to be a problem in MS-Word and Excel (2010), which in their print setup modes offer only duplex printing when duplexing is installed in the Control Panel. Adobe Acrobat prints duplex whether or not Control Panel says duplexing is installed, but only in Booklet mode which I guess forces duplex printing in any case. I don't know what would happen if I tried to print a booklet with Adobe Acrobat using a printer which physically did not have duplexing capability.

FWIW, Adobe Acrobat's Booklet printing mode is quite good. You create a document in, say, MS-Word to print on letter size paper, using at least 18 point font and minimal margins. Then you save it as a PDF file, print it on legal size paper in Adobe Acrobat in Booklet mode, and you end up with a 3/4 scale document, with four original pages on each sheet of legal size paper. The program is robust and intuitive.

Anyway, why does my duplexing become "not installed" whenever I reboot?

tanstaafl.

Attachments
Duplexer.jpg

#363407 - 08/02/2015 16:51 Re: Duplexer goes away [Re: tanstaafl.]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
I've noticed inconsistencies with printer drivers when they "find" a network printer rather than being set to print to a static IP.

I don't know how you're set up, but that's always the first thing I check when a client has odd printer issues.

-jk

#363410 - 08/02/2015 21:46 Re: Duplexer goes away [Re: tanstaafl.]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Is it possible that you're changing that session settings and nit the default ones, which stay to non-duplex and get reloaded upon reboot? What happens when you logoff and on?
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#363411 - 08/02/2015 21:47 Re: Duplexer goes away [Re: tanstaafl.]
Taym
carpal tunnel

From General tab, click advanced, then default settings, iirc.

#363413 - 08/02/2015 23:57 Re: Duplexer goes away [Re: Taym]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Taym
Is it possible that you're changing that session settings and nit the default ones, which stay to non-duplex and get reloaded upon reboot? What happens when you logoff and on?
Excellent idea... but it didn't solve the problem. frown

If "Settings" is set to "Not Installed", then the "Printing Defaults" options do not show anything to do with duplexing.

If "Settings" is set to "Installed", then the "Printing Defaults" options do allow setup of duplexing. Then everything is great until I reboot, and the "Settings" return to the "Not Installed" state and if I want duplexing I have to go back into Control Panel and manually change "Settings" to "Installed".

I downloaded more current firmware and driver for the printer, I have installed the firmware upgrade to no avail, next I'll change the driver. I'm not optimistic that this will solve the problem.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
Duplexer 1.jpg

Duplexer 2.jpg

#363415 - 09/02/2015 01:57 Re: Duplexer goes away [Re: Taym]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
...next I'll change the driver.
That did it.

In the next few days I'll experiment and see if the new driver has fixed the buggy custom paper size options that the previous driver had.

tanstaafl.

#363458 - 12/02/2015 21:02 Re: Duplexer goes away [Re: tanstaafl.]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Good to heat that.