Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#334450 - 24/06/2010 18:51 Electrical question
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Down here in sunny Mexico, electrical service is not of the same degree of reliability that most of us are used to.

Yesterday I came home and found both computers (my Windows box and SWMBO's Mac) sitting there shut down and both UPS batteries discharged and beeping. "OK, no big deal, local power failure, happens all the time", I thought. The power was back on, the lights worked, etc. But nothing I could do would bring either UPS back to life. About then Victor came by (he's the guy that does my repairs and maintenance when it's something I don't feel competent to handle) and he said let's check the power coming into the house.

Leg 1: 47 volts
Leg 2: 230 volts
Main: 277 volts.

It should have been (of course) 110, 110, and 220 respectively. Clearly the computers were on the 47-volt leg. So far the only casualty I have found is a 2GB flash drive that the computer will no longer recognize. (Is there anything I can do about that?)

CFE (the regional power company) got it fixed after about 6 hours. Sort of. Now the voltages are

Leg 1: 165 volts
Leg 2: 164 volts
Main: 323 volts.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of running my house at 50% over-voltage, but what else can I do?

Are my computers protected by running through the UPS? I am running the computer and monitor, laser printer, my scanner, two external hard drives, the cable modem, the router, the Ooma, and the telephone through the surge protection of the UPS; only the computer, the monitor and the hard drives are on the battery backup in addition to surge protection. SWMBO's setup is similar.

How much risk am I at here? How about things like my refrigerator and the HEPA air filter? Are modern electronics designed to handle this sort of thing?

tanstaafl.

#334456 - 24/06/2010 23:05 Re: Electrical question [Re: tanstaafl.]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
The degree of over-voltage protection you have depends upon the specific model of UPS.

Fortunately, many electronic items probably are relatively agnostic about the actual line voltage, but not all things are.

Cheers

#334467 - 25/06/2010 14:24 Re: Electrical question [Re: tanstaafl.]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
I wonder if there is some commercially available home-use power cleaner...
You could rectify everything and then invert to get your own sine wave and voltage.

I think a lot of the solar stuff does this, but I don't know if it could be configured for normal power input.

#334474 - 25/06/2010 19:03 Re: Electrical question [Re: Robotic]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: Robotic
I wonder if there is some commercially available home-use power cleaner...

Googling for "heavy duty voltage regulator" returns lots of hits.