Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#327380 - 07/11/2009 13:14 Mini-Optical Audio Jacks? Hugo?
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
We have been sourcing mini-optical jacks for our wireless audio project and noticed that the usual distributors no longer carry them. It seems the main Japanese supplier, Sharp, no longer manufactures any optical audio jacks. I don't think this is because the interface has fallen out of favor, but more to do with the economy. Currently, it appears the mini-optical audio jacks are only available directly from Chinese manufacturers, which makes prototyping 'fun.'

Does anynone know why this is the case and a good reliable source to acquire them? We received some Chinese samples (at considerable shipping expense)which were okay except the receivers don't work at all!

Thanks,
Stu

#327447 - 10/11/2009 05:06 Re: Mini-Optical Audio Jacks? Hugo? [Re: maczrool]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Hmmm, let me see what I can find. Just optical or electrical+optical?

#327456 - 10/11/2009 16:34 Re: Mini-Optical Audio Jacks? Hugo? [Re: altman]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Well yes, optical + electrical (is there any other kind of mini optical jack?). It turns out the datasheet for the Chinese samples we got was incorrect and resulted in us frying our samples! A Chinese company calling themselves Edison-Opto claims to do business with Apple. Maybe that is where the optical minijacks on the current iMacs come from? Weird thing is that there are a number of Chinese vendors that all sell the same products and all claim to be the manufacturer.

Thanks,
Stu

#327633 - 18/11/2009 14:02 Re: Mini-Optical Audio Jacks? Hugo? [Re: maczrool]
maczrool
pooh-bah

It turns out the company we were getting samples from sent us the wrong datasheet then sent us the correct one which they indicated had the correct pinout but failed to indicate that the operating voltage had also moved outside the usable range. So after pulling my hair out, it was too low a supply voltage all along.

Hugo, did you find out where Apple gets it's mini-optical jacks?

Thanks,
Stu

#327697 - 21/11/2009 07:24 Re: Mini-Optical Audio Jacks? Hugo? [Re: maczrool]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I can't really help on that specifically I'm afraid. Looking at my macbook, the part would be very custom anyway as it's hiding behind a significant amount of aluminium wink

It's also an almost impossible thing to google for I've found!

Who makes the one you have?

#327702 - 21/11/2009 14:30 Re: Mini-Optical Audio Jacks? Hugo? [Re: altman]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Ours are made by Aixin Opto-electrical. I think if we can ever get past the language barrier we can get some decent parts out of them. It took two sets of samples before they realized we needed 3.3 volt receivers and not 5 volt!

You are right it is hard to find the parts on Google. I can't remember how we found them originally but it was some combination of part description and the Japanese standard for the connector, JIS C6500.

Thanks,
Stu