Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#270208 - 20/11/2005 15:37 Renting dedicated server in the USA?
rowitech
enthusiast

Loc: Germany, Cologne
Hi again,

I need a server in the USA for our voicetraffic, so it should be a stable Debian Linux server with a small harddisk (e.g. 10 GB) and perhaps 200 GB traffic per month. I get such servers in Germany for $ 25 a month (racksystems start at $ 75) but in the USA I get not lower than $ 150, what happens there? Is this due to the legal rights there, e.g. $ 75 for the server and $ 75 for the insurance? ;-) Or am I too blind to find the perfect server in the USA for less?

Second thing: As I figured out, the best strategic location in the USA for Internet may be Chicago? Is this true?

regards
Rolf

#270209 - 21/11/2005 15:13 Re: Renting dedicated server in the USA? [Re: rowitech]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
I have two Debian servers with http://www.serverbeach.com/

The cheapest box they offer is $79 - click the links under 'Closeout pricing' on the bottom left.

#270210 - 21/11/2005 16:28 Re: Renting dedicated server in the USA? [Re: David]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I have my server with Rackspace. The pricing is obscene ($225/mo) but the service is spectacular..

#270211 - 22/11/2005 11:24 Re: Renting dedicated server in the USA? [Re: JBjorgen]
rowitech
enthusiast

Looks like German prople can be very happy with such low prices. But $79 is a good offer. I'll try this, thank you.

Rolf

#270212 - 23/11/2005 14:17 Re: Renting dedicated server in the USA? [Re: rowitech]
russmeister
enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
I found this one from 1and1. $69 is the cheapest they have.

#270213 - 26/11/2005 10:13 Re: Renting dedicated server in the USA? [Re: russmeister]
rowitech
enthusiast

Ok, I slept several nights with this data in mind. It's not really the most important fact to get the cheapest one. In case of failure we really have a big problem so the server should be incredible good. Not such an old PC which worked in an dusty office and got retired in a serverfarm. 2 Weeks ago such a PC lost his life after erasing all my data - . . Obviously it's normal to get above the magic $100 size. Ok, who cares if this server won't break down and we can use it and be happy.

Next big problem: Westcoast and Eastcoast. Sizes are bigger than here in small Germany. If you get a server in Frankfurt (in the middle of Germany if shown on an Internet map, not a regular one), you are happy with Germany. But latency in the whole USA seems to be higher, so maybe a server for SIP-Services aka Voice over IP isn't enough in Chicago, I guess. You have to put one in, say, Washington and Palo Alto, right? Any tests for Voice over IP or any comments for the need of two servers for east and west?

regards
Rolf

P.S.:
>I have my server with Rackspace. The pricing is obscene ($225/mo) but the service is spectacular..
Just had a nice chat with this company. We'll figure out, stability is more important than just price but it has to compete with others.

Edited by rowitech (26/11/2005 10:43)