Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#188393 - 06/11/2003 11:27 Well it LOOKS cool
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

#188394 - 06/11/2003 11:30 Re: Well it LOOKS cool [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/68/33790.html
I love the way it's got 7.1 channel audio. Just how many orifices do they expect me to stick earphones in?

Peter

#188395 - 06/11/2003 11:43 Re: Well it LOOKS cool [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
It certainly does look cool. I'm still wondering how they're going to fit all those capabilities in this thing. I think it will definitely be larger than that, especially if it'll be a phone as well, which means internal storage space for numbers and such, plus an efficient way of dialing those numbers.

IMO, what will determine the sucess of this thing (whatever design it ends up as), will be whether its coolness is enough. Sony's console systems have done so well because they got in on the product cycle early before the competitors could launch their systems, meaning they had more games to start with, plus the ability of the PS2 to play older games (mostly). If numbers of games at launch truly is the factor, there's no way Sony will be able to compete with the current Nintendo handheld incarnations. There are already hundreds of games for the Game Boy.

But hey, the games should be much better for such an advanced system. I guess we'll have to see. Nobody believed they would attempt to cram so much into a little device, and it looks like they're still on that path.

#188396 - 06/11/2003 15:15 Re: Well it LOOKS cool [Re: Dignan]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
they got in on the product cycle early before the competitors could launch their systems
In which case, they're already a bit later than this one: Zodiac.

#188397 - 06/11/2003 15:49 Re: Well it LOOKS cool [Re: DLF]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

and I've never heard of it.

Sony won't make that mistake. They have the global market and financial backing to make success of anyhting they choose. Just look at the Playstation. Nobody gave them a chance against Nintendo and Sega, but they effectively killed Sega. Nintendo didn't come out too well either.

Thats why I'd back this thing to do well. Shame they didn't make the Empeg!

#188398 - 06/11/2003 16:25 Re: Well it LOOKS cool [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
Oh, I didn't say the PSP won't be a success. I might argue that Sony frequently doesn't deserve its success, but that's another argument.

BTW, you've never heard of it because Tapwave is a brand new company with 16 full-time, salaried employees. Y'know, kinda like Palm and Apple and Microsoft were once upon a time....

#188399 - 06/11/2003 17:58 Re: Well it LOOKS cool [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Yeah then we could use ATRAC instead of MP3

Matt

#188400 - 07/11/2003 00:58 Re: Well it LOOKS cool [Re: DLF]
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Y'know, kinda like Palm and Apple and Microsoft were once upon a time....
Yeah, and another company that we all know a little something about. - trs

#188401 - 07/11/2003 05:18 Re: Well it LOOKS cool [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Well, Sony definitely killed Sega and wounded Nintendo, but I think it was a thing of good timing. Like I said, their system came out earlier. It was easier to write games for than N64. It used CDs (even though I like cartridges). All of these factors led first to Square making FF7 for PS, which I see as the entire turning point for the company. I think if Nintendo had come out at the same time with a CD based system, Sony definitely wouldn't have smashed them as much.

But I do agree that they have the backing that will most likely force the sucess of the product.

Regardless, I still want to get a GBA SP, if for nothing other than Mario Kart and Link to the Past. Playing those games on the go would be a dream come true for me

ps-I just noticed that Nintendo's site claims that GTA3 is in the works for the GBA. that should be...interesting. I guess the contract is nearing its end.