For those of you wondering how the display and remote work in a convertible,.. I can help. They don't. Out here in sunny California (US), the sun shines so bright in the daytime that the display and remote on the Rio player are pretty much useless in direct sunlight. You are sure to get a fair amount of direct sunlight right on the face of the unit when riding with the top down. Even with the remote inches from the faceplate,.. you'd be lucky to get 50% of your button presses to go through.

Everyday when riding home in my
convertible, I get to deal with this bummer,.. as the sun is over my shoulder the entire 1 hour ride home.

I am considering doing two things to allieviate this.

1.) Build some sort of "visor" to protect the display from the hardcore glare of the direct sunlight.

and

2.) Add another IR sensor on the serial line that is located somewhere where direct sunlight can't shine but I can still aim the remote to.

Does anyone have any pointers to get me started on the addition of another IR dongle. I actually do have an extra IRMan hanging around. Anyone every got one of those hooked up to a Rio?

Thanks, Aaron.

[stop the technology madness]