Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#28904 - 02/04/2001 10:12 Notes from hard drive upgrade
Kit
journeyman

Loc: San Diego, CA US
So this weekend I went ahead and added an IBM 20GB disk to my mk2 and thought I would share the couple of hitches that I had while performing the upgrade.

1. Make sure you have the official empeg power supply handy, or one that is VERY close to it. I had left this one at work and had one that had worked just fine for months (13v @ 1000 mA). Unfortunately the addition of the second drive was just too much and caused much grief when attempting to spin up the second disk.

The empeg actually performed amazingly even though it didn't have enough power. The screen would blank on and then off during the disk spin up, but aside from that functioned properly.

2. Upgrade to 1.02 (or the latest version) on your primary disk prior to upgrading. (I happened to stiill have 1.01) During the upgrade process I installed 1.02 onto the new disk, as well as flash. Upon placing the old disk back in I ended up with a version mismatch of 1.01 on the disk and 1.02 in flash. It did not show the extra disk space in emplode, despite the kernel showing the new disk upon bootup until I upgraded to 1.02. Not sure if this was related to the mismatch or just the extra time that 1.02 gives disks to spin up.

3. Even though I was extremely careful removing the shock/drive bay the rubber feet seperated on one side from the metal bracket used to connect it to the chasis. Make sure you reattach these prior to reassembling the empeg.

4. Actually read all of the instructions in the FAQ. I had happily added the second disk as slave and re-assembled everything, only to find out that the disk upgrade kernel will wipe all attached drives. and had to take everything apart again.

On another note, anybody know what the deal is with the new handles that are coated with a different material? (Rob?) I know that it was being debated if end users would be permitted to do this on their own.

#28905 - 02/04/2001 10:18 Re: Notes from hard drive upgrade [Re: Kit]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
thought I would share the couple of hitches that I had while performing the upgrade.

Thanks for this information, I'll link it in the FAQ.

Even though I was extremely careful removing the shock/drive bay the rubber feet seperated on one side from the metal bracket used to connect it to the chasis. Make sure you reattach these prior to reassembling the empeg.

Strange. Do you have a Mark1 or a Mark2? On a Mark1, that's pretty common. On a Mark2, it should take an Act of God to get those feet to come out of their mountings.

I had happily added the second disk as slave and re-assembled everything, only to find out that the disk upgrade kernel will wipe all attached drives.

Sorry, did I not make this clear enough? I thought I was pretty clear about how it worked, what it did, and that you need to unplug your original drive at keep it at a safe distance.

#28906 - 02/04/2001 10:26 Re: Notes from hard drive upgrade [Re: tfabris]
Kit
journeyman

Loc: San Diego, CA US
At least I figured this out BEFORE I wiped all of my data =]. Could have been much worse. As always rtfm.

I have a mark2. It almost looked like the rubber feet were off before I opened it up, as the disks were further up on one side. FedEx must have really dropped the box from a hatch at 20,000 ft.

-Kit

#28907 - 02/04/2001 15:29 Re: Notes from hard drive upgrade [Re: Kit]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The feet are glued on rio players. We can't work out how they manage to pop out (try pulling them - they stretch a long way!) but they do anyway...

Hugo

#28908 - 02/04/2001 15:30 Re: Notes from hard drive upgrade [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
We can't work out how they manage to pop out (try pulling them - they stretch a long way!) but they do anyway...

Thermal, perhaps?

#28909 - 02/04/2001 15:40 Re: Notes from hard drive upgrade [Re: Kit]
scoco

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I upgraded my Mark 2 this weekend as well, and I have one thing to add:

Don't use Fujitsu 18 gig drives. It works okay, but it's really loud. When the music is quiet, I can hear the drive spinning, something I was never able to do with the factory drives.