Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#236319 - 02/10/2004 20:22 Calling lame.exe experts..
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Is there a way to encode 44.1K, 16-bit, mono wave files using LAME? I'm trying to use Exact Audio Copy to do it, but it's not liking the mono files. MusicMatch is converting them with no problems, but I wanted to use LAME.

One idea was to convert the sample type of the wave file to stereo, but I'm not sure which would give the "purest" results..

This is for a little project I'm working on that I can't wait to share with all of you.

#236320 - 03/10/2004 01:37 Re: Calling lame.exe experts.. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Get RazorLame a nice frontend to LAME.

#236321 - 03/10/2004 05:00 Re: Calling lame.exe experts.. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The things I'm reading in the USAGE file seem to indicate that it should be able to take a mono file as input without a problem, so I would check to see if there's something about the file that's slightly nonstandard, something that doesn't bother musicmatch but that confuzzles LAME. Things like, the creation program is appending some sort of metadata or tag to the file for example. Like in CoolEdit, there's a "save extra non-audio information" checkbox that you need to uncheck.

Otherwise, try this command line parameter (from the USAGE file):

Quote:
For WAV and AIFF input files, using "-m m" will always produce a
mono .mp3 file from both mono and stereo input.

The only problem is that I'm not certain the empeg will play a mono MP3 file without having something funky go wrong with it. Dunno, don't recall. I remember futzing with this once when I was doing a little project and decided that even though the source files were mono, I'd encode stereo MP3s because it solved certain problems. But now I don't remember why exactly....

#236322 - 03/10/2004 10:57 Re: Calling lame.exe experts.. [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I havn't tried command line yet, maybe I'll give that a shot and if I can't get it working, I'll try RazorLame. These files are being generted in CoolEdit Pro, so I'll make sure that option is turned off as well.

FWIW, the AutoEQ files with Alpha8 are mono (as well as the ones I had posted).

#236323 - 05/10/2004 02:22 Re: Calling lame.exe experts.. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
You might also like to search around for the plugins to allow Cool Edit Pro to save MP3 natively. Let me know if you can't find them, I've got plugins for CEP for MP3 and FLAC.

Paul