Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#128693 - 01/12/2002 13:00 Tweaking
edsmiata
addict

Loc: New Jersey
When using the tweak keys while listening to a particular song, does the player search in the particular playlist that the song is in, or does it search the entire database of songs. I ask this for various times when I hit '2' and expect to see another song by the artist come up, it tells me that no matches were found, when I know that there are many more songs by that artist.

Thanks,

Ed

#128694 - 01/12/2002 13:23 Re: Tweaking [Re: edsmiata]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
It pulls up the next song, from the current playlist, that matches the criteria (if there is one). So only songs after the current song, and in the current playlist, are considered.

/Michael

#128695 - 01/12/2002 15:04 Re: Tweaking [Re: mtempsch]
edsmiata
addict

ok then the only way to make sure the tweak function works for all songs is to have a playlist that includes all songs, correct?...or to be sure that you are not playing any specific playlist?

#128696 - 01/12/2002 21:37 Re: Tweaking [Re: edsmiata]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Correct.

Personally, I'd love to have it search the whole player database and not just the current playlist. But at the moment, it does only search the remainder of the currently-playing playlist for matches.

#128697 - 02/12/2002 07:16 Re: Tweaking [Re: tfabris]
edsmiata
addict

but....one COULD make a playlist of ALL the songs in the database and go forward from there...right?

#128698 - 02/12/2002 07:53 Re: Tweaking [Re: edsmiata]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
There are several terms here being used interchangeably.

To clarify:
  • database = the complete set of songs on the player
  • playlist = an arbitrary grouping of songs and/or other playlists. You set these up in emplode.
  • programme = the list of tracks selected to be played. If you select a playlist, the programme (note the UK spelling) contains all the tunes in that playlist, and in any playlists it contains, and so on.
  • running order = the order in which the tracks in the programme are to be played. The shuffle modes alter this, which is why turning shuffle off returns to the original order.

Now, we've been as guilty as the next person of referring to the last two (programme/running order) as "the playlist". Let's just pretend that in these cases, it's got a capital P. It's "the Playlist", the others are just "playlists". Maybe not?

Anyway, the tweak order buttons act solely on the running order/programme -- they change the order of the upcoming tracks. For example, if you select "find matching artist", looking for more "Shania Twain", it swaps the first non-Shania track with the first Shania track it can find after that.

So, if you've got:

Shania 1 <--
    Not-Shania 1
    Not-Shania 2
    (some point later)
    Shania 2

You'll get:

Shania 1 <--
    Shania 2
    Not-Shania 2
    (some point later)
    Not-Shania 1

They do not look in the entire database.
  • _________________________
    -- roger

#128699 - 02/12/2002 07:56 Re: Tweaking [Re: edsmiata]
    Roger
    carpal tunnel

See my other reply, but specifically in answer to this question:

You could, but you'd get the same results by pressing down-down-down, and setting up a programme/running order with all of your tracks in it.

#128700 - 02/12/2002 09:56 Re: Tweaking [Re: Roger]
    schofiel
    carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
    A pretty definitive answer - Tony, what about putting this (with Roger's permission) verbatim in the FAQ?

Roger, what about the "Hate" function?
    One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#128701 - 02/12/2002 11:05 Re: Tweaking [Re: schofiel]
    Roger
    carpal tunnel

Roger, what about the "Hate" function?

I believe, but I'd have to check the source to be sure, that the "Hate" function simply removes any matching items from the running order.

This explains why they come back again after an un-shuffle. Unless someone's fixed it to remove them from the programme as well, in which case, they won't.