Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#52553 - 28/12/2001 22:55 Remote turn on
jheathco
enthusiast

Loc: Mission Viejo, California
Just a quick question.... I have the ISO connector to hook-up to the empeg when I get it. But, I'm wondering if the remote turn on lead is used with the ISO connector. I would think it would just be a separate wire since most cars I'd imagine wouldn't have a remote turn on wire built in.. why would they?

#52554 - 28/12/2001 23:01 Re: Remote turn on [Re: jheathco]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Depends on the car.

Some cars do in fact have an amplifier. Other cars may use that wire to raise and lower the radio antenna. Others may use that wire to power an antenna amplifer. Or they might use a completely different pin for all of the above.

Part of your job as installer is to research and learn exactly what every wire does in your car's wiring harness. If you don't know, it's time to get a Crutchfield Master Sheet.

#52555 - 28/12/2001 23:22 Re: Remote turn on [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Or just search the net, because practically every car most people will be interested in looking up has been documented online somewhere for free. :)

Also, there wasn't a need when ordering a new empeg to pre-purchase an ISO adapter or harness. One comes with the unit in the box (unless it was mistakenly left out of the package :)

What you *should* buy is a metra harness adapter for your car. That will plug into your factory haness and will come with all the wires labled. You may be able to get one direct to ISO (if that's what you have, then you can skip using the split-wire harness that comes with the empeg and ignore what I wrote above :) Otherwise, just get the plain metra adapter and wire it to the one that comes with the empeg (again, even the plain metra adapter comes labled).

Follow up to this post with what kind of car you have and what other sound equipment you will be running and we'll give you some specific tips.

Bruno

Man, the board is picking up a lot of trafic. The member-counter has been going up steadily over the past few days as well.

#52556 - 29/12/2001 02:10 Re: Remote turn on [Re: hybrid8]
jheathco
enthusiast

Hey again, thanks for all the info. Anyways, I have a 98 Ford Ranger. I've done all my audio installation with amps and such, but before I had a Neo it didn't have a remote turn on, so I just spliced the ignition wire and hooked that up as the remote turn on. Ghetto job, I know, but it was my only option without using a relay. Anyways, I'm guessing I'll just figure it out when I see the connectors the empeg comes with. I doubt it will be difficult. Bring on those tips

#52557 - 29/12/2001 02:25 Re: Remote turn on [Re: jheathco]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I just spliced the ignition wire and hooked that up as the remote turn on. Ghetto job, I know, but it was my only option without using a relay.

Didn't that make a nasty pop come out of the speakers every time you started the car? Not good for the speakers or the rest of your system for that matter.

Bring on those tips

Right here.

#52558 - 29/12/2001 02:30 Re: Remote turn on [Re: jheathco]
jheathco
enthusiast

Thanks Tony. Actually it didn't really make a popping noise. Anyways, currently I have what looks to be the male ISO connector with all my wiring. Now I understand that will just plug into the empeg's female ISO connector (correct?), but what do I do for the remote turn on... would you suggest I splice the wire before the male ISO connects to the female ISO on the empeg, or after the female?

#52559 - 29/12/2001 02:57 Re: Remote turn on [Re: jheathco]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Anyways, currently I have what looks to be the male ISO connector with all my wiring. Now I understand that will just plug into the empeg's female ISO connector (correct?)

I don't know exactly what you have, but a complete illustrated instruction of how the ISO connector fits into the scheme is Right here.

but what do I do for the remote turn on...

That should be connected to the remote turn on lead of your stereo amplifier.

would you suggest I splice the wire before the male ISO connects to the female ISO on the empeg, or after the female?

That's totally up to you, and how you think it would be easiest to work on it after-the-fact.

#52560 - 29/12/2001 03:00 Re: Remote turn on [Re: jheathco]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Did you wire in the ISO connector yourself or did it come with the car? In the latter case doublecheck all wires so that they actually match with the ISO standard...

As to the remote wire, I'd connect the wire that goes to your amp(s) to the male ISO connector too - that way it's all in one plug, neat and tidy.

If there's no wire currently in the position for the remote turn on wire in the plug, I'd try to get one of those crimp/solder pieces that fits into the connector and make it a part of the ISO connector. If there's a lead for the remote in the plug already, I'd connect the wire running to your amp(s) to that one (solder & shrink tubing), ie make the splice on the "car side" of the connectors.

/Michael

#52561 - 29/12/2001 03:08 Re: Remote turn on [Re: mtempsch]
jheathco
enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it more tomorrow when I check out which wires are currently connected to my harness.

#52562 - 29/12/2001 04:51 Re: Remote turn on [Re: tfabris]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Gee, I have to go through the FAQ again, just for the pleasure of reading a well done thing. I somehow missed the part about connectors and remotes...

I hope all this will find its way into revised manual.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#52563 - 29/12/2001 11:15 Re: Remote turn on [Re: bonzi]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Aw, thanks.