Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#38539 - 14/09/2001 07:39 OT: Help with Mini-DV to VCD conversion...
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
Hey guys, sorry about the off-topic post but yet again the vast bank of knowledge here is a lot easier to use then searching through the web. First off all I am using a Windows machine and not a MAC as all the resourses seem to point to a mac for this kind of thing. Secondly I have gotten this to work. Though poorly. I used Roxio EZCD 5 to burn my video to a Disc and it played fine in my home DVD player but with a lot of compression artifacts and poor quality audio with pops and clicks... hmmm... sorta like a bad mp3 :)

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good video capture program that will take the input from a firewire device, let you cut up the film into many clips, organize it properly, and then save into a higher quality video feed than I have already gotten from mine. One thing I did notice was that my audio setting were at 8kbits (I think) but when I tried to save the video with 48,000 audio and double the NTSC video resolution the program gave up on me telling me I didn't have enough free space. I checked and there was 19 gigs free. The videoclip in question was about 6 minutes long.

Anybody have some good advice.

P.S. For anyone who didn't really see the effects of the tragedy it probably hasn't hit you as strongly as it could have. I live a nice ways from NewYork and I was amazed that such a thing could happen... heartbroken and all. Then I drove to a couple of airports, one of which was in Gander, Newfoundland and saw the planes packed in... wow. Then I drove through Gander... a town with a population of 10,000 people. Now there was approximately 10,000 more people stranded in that town due to the closure of the airspace. That really hit home. I was talking to the guy I bought my CR-V from and he was buying all kinds of food for his Elks Lodge to cook for those who were stuck. I drove by a Newtel building (local telco) and they had phones setup outside for people to call home. They also had refreshments for people to enjoy and all kinds of picnic tables sat up so people could relax in the sunshine. It was truly amazing. My heart really goes out to everyone involved.

#170... I got SN: 080000101 12 gig Blue!

#38540 - 14/09/2001 09:39 Re: OT: Help with Mini-DV to VCD conversion... [Re: ShadowMan]
synergy
enthusiast

Hey guys, sorry about the off-topic post but yet again the vast bank of knowledge here is a lot easier to use then searching through the web. First off all I am using a Windows machine and not a MAC as all the resourses seem to point to a mac for this kind of thing. Secondly I have gotten this to work. Though poorly. I used Roxio EZCD 5 to burn my video to a Disc and it played fine in my home DVD player but with a lot of compression artifacts and poor quality audio with pops and clicks... hmmm... sorta like a bad mp3 :)

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good video capture program that will take the input from a firewire device, let you cut up the film into many clips, organize it properly, and then save into a higher quality video feed than I have already gotten from mine. One thing I did notice was that my audio setting were at 8kbits (I think) but when I tried to save the video with 48,000 audio and double the NTSC video resolution the program gave up on me telling me I didn't have enough free space. I checked and there was 19 gigs free. The videoclip in question was about 6 minutes long.

Anybody have some good advice.

Having pulled my wedding movie from DV back in January, I have some experience here.

a> Most of the Windows products Suck. I think you found that.
b> Free space issue is PROBABLY the 2G limit on AVI files from Windows...

Now then, I found the best results for my systems were:

Linux. Yes, once again, the magical OS from heaven saves the day..... There is firewire support in the 2.4 kernels. It works Very well in my experience. In particular, dvgrab does a REALLY nice job. It will take the input from your camera, and split it into avi files of defineable size, and/OR whenever the DV stream was interrupted.

Let me explain that a little more, simply because I didn't realize the miniDV stuff did this. Whenever you start and stop recording, including pausing, the DV system makes a notation in the stream. DVgrab creates a seperate file whenever it sees this. This allowed me to very easily organize certain sections. It also allowed me to get mad at the photographer in question, as in my wedding, he hit that damn pause button every other second, it appeared. (it actually wasn't THAT bad during the wedding, but before and after, I had something like 80-90 5-10 second clips.)

So, after trying the firewire support in windows programs, I ended up using this simply because it worked SO much better than anything else. Windows programs gave me a ton of grief with audio synchro, and frame loss (on 800Mhz processors going to raid arrays... bandwidth was NOT a problem.)

For actually editting the clips into a single movie, I used Premier and Media studio. Media studio came with my firewire card, and worked pretty well.

Encoding the files to vcd and svcd I used, (I think) bbmpeg. It was either that or flaskmpeg.

I've still got the original avi files and cut/merge sheets on a drive array so that when DVD drives become more affordable, I'll burn it out in full DVD resolution.

#38541 - 14/09/2001 09:58 Re: OT: Help with Mini-DV to VCD conversion... [Re: synergy]
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
In reply to:

a> Most of the Windows products Suck. I think you found that.

Starting to realize that
In reply to:

b> Free space issue is PROBABLY the 2G limit on AVI files from Windows...

Go figure!

In reply to:

Now then, I found the best results for my systems were:

Linux. Yes, once again, the magical OS from heaven saves the day..... There is firewire support in the 2.4 kernels. It works Very well in my experience. In particular, dvgrab does a REALLY nice job. It will take the input from your camera, and split it into avi files of defineable size, and/OR whenever the DV stream was interrupted.

Let me explain that a little more, simply because I didn't realize the miniDV stuff did this. Whenever you start and stop recording, including pausing, the DV system makes a notation in the stream. DVgrab creates a seperate file whenever it sees this. This allowed me to very easily organize certain sections. It also allowed me to get mad at the photographer in question, as in my wedding, he hit that damn pause button every other second, it appeared. (it actually wasn't THAT bad during the wedding, but before and after, I had something like 80-90 5-10 second clips.)

So, after trying the firewire support in windows programs, I ended up using this simply because it worked SO much better than anything else. Windows programs gave me a ton of grief with audio synchro, and frame loss (on 800Mhz processors going to raid arrays... bandwidth was NOT a problem.)

For actually editting the clips into a single movie, I used Premier and Media studio. Media studio came with my firewire card, and worked pretty well.

Encoding the files to vcd and svcd I used, (I think) bbmpeg. It was either that or flaskmpeg.

I've still got the original avi files and cut/merge sheets on a drive array so that when DVD drives become more affordable, I'll burn it out in full DVD resolution.

I don't even have access to any new version of Linux, unless I drive about 4 hours to buy it. No such thing as high speed anywhere around here to download a linux distro.

I have a AMD Athlon 1.4 ghz system to work with and loads of HD space. I would like to stay in windows and I know what you are talking about when you say that the pauses mean new clips. I did try the DV camera on my buddies iMac a year ago and was quite impressed by the software, but the bloody software I am using records it as one long clip. a real pain in the arse. On top of that I have not been able to figure out how to actually trim the clips to get nice consistency.

Someone please suggest a windows program that will fit the bill... at least a little bit.

Thanks again!

#170... I got SN: 080000101 12 gig Blue!