Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#143678 - 16/02/2003 15:39 Mark 1 drive upgrade (60 gb)
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
Hi All,

I've just recently installed a 60gb (Toshiba MK6021GAS, currently available from Googlegear) in a Mark I. Initally this did not go well, as I was having the /dev/hda4 problem so often mentioned on this board. I tried all the suggestions available here, but to no avail. I did reinstall the original 12gb drive which worked and could verify that there was no hardware problem, and also sucessfully ran builder on a 6gb drive I had laying about.

The builder gave the following error that was my main clue:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 4k initVFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev ide0(3,4).
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda4,
or too many mounted file systems
warning: can't open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
umount: /drive0: not mounted
Making first drive...
mke2fs 1.14, 9-Jan-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/hda4 is mounted. no room for private writable mapping

error: -12

/dev/hda4: Memory allocation failed while setting up superblock hdstress.cpp 189 ( 14): Poll result=0 on fd=5

It seemed that, since I could run builder on the 6gb and 12gb drives and not the 60gb, that I was lacking enough memory to do so (it seems that this wouldn't be an issue, but what I did worked...).

I remembered that the Mark II empegs have more ramI have a couple of Mark IIa handy, so I ran builder on the 60gb drive using one. It worked flawlessly, so I reinstalled the 60gb in the Mark I, installed the player app, and had no further problems.

I hope this might help any Mark I owners.

Every screw associated with the hard drive (cradle mount and hard drive mount) were beyond loose, so it may be a good idea to check these.

The new drive was slightly longer than the original, such that I have only about 1mm clearance between the ide connector and the display board. Since this unit will never see car use again, I decided not to worry about it, but I wouldn't use it in a mobile application like this.

Comments?

Larry

#143679 - 16/02/2003 15:46 Re: Mark 1 drive upgrade (60 gb) [Re: larry818]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Note that most of the things in the serial log you're seeing aren't errors, such as "no such file or directory", for example. Those are normal. Only the very last message about a memory error is an actual error.

Questions:

- Did you use the Mark1 version of the builder image? There's two of them, one for the Mk2 and one for the Mk1.

- Was it the latest one, dated Oct 22, 2001? The older ones won't work on a drive that big.

Has anyone else put a 60 into a Mk1?

Just by coincidence, I'm putting a new Fujitsu 40 into my Mk2 today.

#143680 - 16/02/2003 16:40 Re: Mark 1 drive upgrade (60 gb) [Re: tfabris]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
Hi Tony,

Yep, I did use the Mark I builder images, and even tried the old one (two are available on the web site). The builder image for the Mark II was siginificantly different in that the serial feedback and the on screen display provided different info. I did find that there were error messages even when everything went well. I didn't try the Mark II images on the Mark I, 'cos I thought that might be evil.

I bought the Mark I years ago from Ebay and never used it (when I discovered there was no AM coverage), but always intended to encode all my cds and throw away the Sony 200 cd changer. I bought two Mark IIa empegs and tuners during the fire sale and intended to use them in the cars. All were 12gb, which I thought was enough. Now that I've encoded everything, I find that I have 16gb of files, so I'm upgrading all three players to 60gb this weekend.

Thanks for the reply!

Larry

#143681 - 16/02/2003 16:44 Re: Mark 1 drive upgrade (60 gb) [Re: larry818]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Well, then, it sounds like the Mk1 builder image is due for a bug fix.

The builders are going to need to be upgraded to handle the bigger-than-127-gig disk drives eventually anyway...