Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#68021 - 06/02/2002 22:16 Probably due to my foolishness, but never hurts...
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
... to ask.

I've got a self-upgraded 40gig (from 10) that's been great for months. Currently it's got hijack 141 (can't keep up!) and about 3400 mp3s.

After using emplode 2.0b7 to clean up and add some new mp3s the other day, the program died halfway through the sync. Who knows why, at this point, I think it's a non-issue.

As a plan for a clean start, I deleted all mp3s through emplode and did a sync. It was then a clean slate. I decided to run emplode 2.0b7 again, to add all my files back ... she died in the middle of the night, again, I forget why. (nice of me to remember the details right?)

So the interface to the rio is locked up on the emplode and the app can't restart it .. I do it by hand (unplug power). On restart it rebuilds the database and says it has about 1300 errors, fine whatever.

I decide to switch to JEmplode (latest), confused yet? And I start cleaning up and replacing all the files that now have ref=0, putting them back in their respective playlists. After there are no unreferenced files left, I sync.

At this point I have about 85% of the files on the rio. So (still using JEmplode) I drop the whole folder heirarchy on it. Says 2700+ files skipped because duplicates (fine), and about 400 were added. Great. So I sync. This was about 6 hours ago. It's still syncing, and I'm using ethernet on a switch.

Come to find out, even though it was only supposed to add about 400 files, it's going through the whole tree and syncing them all up for some reason. The big progress bar has even reset a couple of times.

Looking on the device, the 10gig main drive only has two fids ... 100 and 101 I think. It used to hold the bulk. Now the second 30 gig drive is the one with all the fids. Whassup with that?

At this point should I scrub the drives entirely? Do we even have a utility that works for that these days? (i know the old one from empeg had issues). Is this even necessary or recommended?

a) I know I should be using the latest hijack, or better yet the factory 2.0b7, or better yet, 1.0.3

b) Same goes for JEmplode I guess.

c) Having done the drive upgrade myself, months ago, there could be some lingering thing I forgot to do, as well.

Eh, what's all these gadgets for if you don't have a chance to break them?

Greg

#68022 - 06/02/2002 22:23 Re: Probably due to my foolishness, but never hurts... [Re: grgcombs]
grgcombs
addict

Also of note, JEmplode says only 12Gigs free, should be at least 20-25 gigs free. Keeping in mind I don't see any duplicates anywhere.

Greg

#68023 - 06/02/2002 22:40 Re: Probably due to my foolishness, but never hurts... [Re: grgcombs]
Terminator
old hand

When i downgraded to 1.03 not long ago, I found a ton of stuff in the unattached items folder. I thought I always deleted everything correctly from the soup view, so I have no idea where they came from. That freed up quite a bit of space for me.

Sean

Do you have any classes in the CN building? I cant get my wireless card to work in there.

#68024 - 06/02/2002 22:47 Re: Probably due to my foolishness, but never hurts... [Re: grgcombs]
Terminator
old hand

As far as I know, the drive formatter has been updated for big drives. I would try downgrading to 1.03 first though. Then use 1.03 to load all the tunes back up.

Sean

#68025 - 06/02/2002 23:00 Re: Probably due to my foolishness, but never hurts... [Re: Terminator]
grgcombs
addict

No classes in CN, but I've seen their WAPs hanging up by the blackboards.

I know with some of the classrooms they've still got that old wireless hardware that's incompatible with 802.11b ... they're supposedly in the process of upgrading.

But from what I remember reading, CN should be good to go. I'd email those guys at the computer services desk in the library, they seem to be there at all hours of the day/night/weekend. Some of them are even helpful about wireless stuff.

It's possible that the WAP just needs to be reset ... someone probably unplugged it for a projector or something ;-)

Greg

#68026 - 06/02/2002 23:07 Re: Probably due to my foolishness, but never hurts... [Re: grgcombs]
Terminator
old hand

Ive been emailing them over the past few days. They want me to bring my computer in :-( They are there pretty late, the puter labs used to be open even longer than they are now. I get a good signal to the ap, but if I try a link test, no packets get returned, they all get dropped. Oh well, at least im not in the trailer buildings this semester (no wireless there)

Sean