Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#37406 - 28/08/2001 20:21 Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner?
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Just wondering, as I got the e-mail before I left Saturday for vacation saying it will take 1-2 weeks to get them, and I hear of people who ordered them through the Rio Store having received them now.

I was under the impression the Mk1 upgraders would get first grab at the tuners, then everyone else. If this was incorrect, let me know. :)

(O|||||O)

#37407 - 29/08/2001 00:39 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: ClemsonJeep]
Lemmy

Loc: Germany
Yea, looks strange... Should have mine by now, but nothing...
bye
[L]

#37408 - 29/08/2001 01:32 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: Lemmy]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
That was the idea, however the US estore appears to have beat us to getting stock; we expect units to arrive in the UK very shortly and then the to mk1 upgraders will get their tuners.

Hugo

#37409 - 29/08/2001 10:01 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, guys, "free" isn't good enough for you, you also want them fast?

#37410 - 29/08/2001 10:14 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: tfabris]
Kit
journeyman

Loc: San Diego, CA US
Hey, I think it just evens things out in the end. The Mk1 owners have had the experience of having a tuner in their Empeg before, while the Mk2 only owners have not.

In the end now that we will have our tuners we will come back to the conclusion that the radio still sucks.

-Kit

#37411 - 29/08/2001 10:51 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: Kit]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
In the end now that we will have our tuners we will come back to the conclusion that the radio still sucks.

I hope you meant "radio still sucks", i.e., radio in general.

If you mean "The" empeg radio, the Mk2's tuner module definitely does not suck.

#37412 - 29/08/2001 11:53 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: tfabris]
xavyer

Who said anything about 'fast'? I think the issue is 'first', as in those who have been waiting patiently, listening to 'real soon now' for the better part of a year. I'm sure it's just that communication between SonicBlue and Empeg got a bit fouled up. Heck, it's been a year, what's a few more days?

#37413 - 29/08/2001 14:21 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: tfabris]
Kit
journeyman

Loc: San Diego, CA US
Yes I am talking about radio in general, not the empeg tuner =]

-Kit

#37414 - 29/08/2001 15:10 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: tfabris]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Yeah, guys, "free" isn't good enough for you, you also want them fast?

I guess fast is a relative term in the fact that we've been waiting over a year for a piece of hardware that we essentially paid for.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at empeg or anything like that, I love the guys to death. I was just wondering what the situation was, because what was actually happening was going against what we were told was going to happen. :)

No big whoop, like everyone else said, its been a year, whats a few more weeks?

(O|||||O)

#37415 - 07/09/2001 10:48 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: ClemsonJeep]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Just wondering if there was any information regarding the tuners for MK1 upgraders, as its been a couple weeks since the announcement.

Thanks,

(O|||||O)

#37416 - 07/09/2001 12:34 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: ClemsonJeep]
Dredd
enthusiast

Loc: Bay Area, California
I still don't have mine, if it helps console you in your time of grief?

D

#37417 - 08/09/2001 05:59 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: ClemsonJeep]
wvloon
journeyman

Loc: Near Arnhem, Netherlands
Nope, nothing but an email message.

So much for the promise that the MK1 upgraders would be the first ones to receive the tuner. What do I care that US got them first ??? IMHO they could have easily send a box of them to the UK.

Don't get me wrong, I love my empeg but we have been waiting a _very_ _very_ long time now and (at least to me) it seems that nobody at empeg really cares anymore that we're _still_ waiting, while others that just received their empeg are already ordering them & get them in 1 week.

What's the next episode in this drama ? A message from RIO that they are "sorry to report that we canceled the mk1->mk2 free tuner upgrade" ?

[email protected]
--------------------------------------
Reg:1934/Mk1:158-6Blue(sold)/Mk2:380-12Amber
[email protected] ------------------------ Reg:1934/Mk1:158-Blue(sold)/Mk2:380-Amber(sold)/Mk2a:3273-Blue

#37418 - 08/09/2001 06:03 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: ClemsonJeep]
squish
new poster

> Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at empeg or anything like that

I'm mad at empeg. I can't quite believe how long this keeps dragging on for. It reminds me of the home computer boom of the early 80s. Companies announcing products, taking orders and delivering months or years later. In car entertainment just doesn't happen without radio. For those who know UK radio then Radio 4 is the reason for that. I still haven't installed my mkII because I've been waiting for the real soon now tuner.

I'm hoping the tuner turns up soon so I can get back to worrying about my 2 biggest concerns with the empeg :
o The lack of an API that lets me set up track selection in anyway that I actually want.
o Transfer software that is flakier than a snowstorm.

Sue.

MK1 #00041 MK2 #060000023
MK1 #00041 MK2 #060000023

#37419 - 08/09/2001 06:23 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: wvloon]
Dredd
enthusiast

I have to say I agree with you. We've been waiting for our promised tuners (due in about "three months" as the original story went, now stretching into 15 months) for quite a long time. The first box - FIRST box - of tuners that came off the line should have gone to honor their long-overdue commitment.

In retrospect, I probably would have held off on my Mk. II purchase, because the price of HDD's drops exponentially, and by the time I could actually buy a Mk. II with tuner (14 months later!!!, the price would probably be BELOW what I paid in the upgrade program, and I'd get the tuner, which was actually one of the main reasons for my upgrade (because the Mk.I tuner sucked and wouldn't pick up my favorite morning-drive radio show).

And the bottom line is that Empeg, on this topic, has consistently had a "we don't care" attitude. While they may excel in many areas of customer service and product design, the way they handled this (and indeed continue to handle it) is just completely atrocious. Lots of apologies, no offers of trying to come up with ways to make it up to the people they'd screwed out of the ability to listen to the radio for over a year.

And the worst part about it is that the REASON they haven't done it is because they know we're all geeks, and we're hooked on the "coolness factor" and aren't going to return our units for the full refund we could legally obtain, even today.

Personally, I think since we didn't get what we paid for for FOURTEEN MONTHS that there should be some cash-compensation involved here. SOMETHING to have made "putting up with this endless stream of excuses" worth it.

D
One pissed off Empeg owner

#37420 - 08/09/2001 07:24 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: ClemsonJeep]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
with all the people going nuts over getting these things I would like to hear how many hours a day you use it in 6 months. since getting my empeg I use my radio between 2 and 5 pm central for one show (and I forget about it many days ) and that's it

I also wonder how different is the story of the empeg tuner than the development of any other product other than we got to follow this one fairly close.

32Gig MK2 In 2001 VW Golf TDI

Matt

#37421 - 08/09/2001 08:32 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: Dredd]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
If you had the first idea how much time and effort (former) EMPEG people have put into trying to get these damn tuners into stock you might have rephrased a few of your statements.

It's rapidly approaching the time that I need to make clear my job role of the past nine months - "Development Manager, SONICblue Engineering" - and limit my involvement to only those issues that directly relate to that (very full time) role. It's because I DO care that I've spent countless hours TRYING to fix issues like this.

If you want your money back, you need to talk to SONICblue. There is no empeg any more.

Rob

#37422 - 08/09/2001 08:46 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: rob]
Dredd
enthusiast

Rob,

I have NO doubt that a lot of effort was involved.

I have SIGNIFICANT doubt that there was anything but a laissez-faire attitude towards customer complaints on the topic. Replies from Empeg employees tended to lean towards "we're sorry, now shut the hell up, you'll get them when they're ready."

my job role of the past nine months - "Development Manager, SONICblue Engineering" ..... If you want your money back, you need to talk to SONICblue. There is no empeg any more.

I would think that, by your participating, I AM talking to SONICblue. Or are you claiming to wash your hands of the whole affair, and that you have nothing to do with the car product any longer?

This type of response is typical of the Empeg/SB responses to this topic. "talk to someone else about it".

Like I said in my original post, Rob, on many issues, Empeg/SB has "done the right thing" time and again, but on the tuner issue, the ball has not only been dropped, but stabbed through the middle, deflated, torn asunder, and the pieces buried at random locations around the globe, followed by a follow-the-leader game where paying customers are forced to try and track down who they should be addressing their issues with, while the people who collected their money tell them, essentially, "sod off, I don't do that any more."

And, of course, they get away with it, because the product itself is so good, leaving the consumer with the options of "First-Rate Hardware, [censored]-rate customer service", or "[censored]-rate hardware, first-rate customer service".

sigh

D
One pissed off Empeg owner

#37423 - 08/09/2001 09:38 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: Dredd]
rob
carpal tunnel

I have SIGNIFICANT doubt that there was anything but a laissez-faire attitude towards customer complaints on the topic

No, the attitude toward customer complaints has not been laissez-faire - at least, not within the car player team. When a new complaint arrives, someone in customer support yells at me (for old times sake). I have no authority so I yell at the automotive product line manager. He yells at anyone he can think of within operations. Lots of yelling happens, but no tuners arrive. I have, however, received emails from at least four people within SONICblue who do not have the responsibility to send the them. Perhaps when I've heard from everyone in the organisation who's job is not to send tuners to Cambridge, I will be able to deduce who's job it is to send them.

You think you're frustrated at seeing no sign of them? I know where they are physically stacked, fully packaged and ready to be shipped. I thought they HAD been shipped. THAT is frustration.

I would think that, by your participating, I AM talking to SONICblue

No, you're not talking to SONICblue. This has never been an official BBS, and nobody who could do anything to speed up the shipment of tuners visits here. If it starts to be perceived that posts from employees are official line, I'll have to stop posting for as long as I'm employed by SONICblue.

Although I don't give a toss about customers, and am probably laughing at you right now while I party in Hawaii with the rest of the empeg team, I have none the less shipped a tuner module to your home address.

There's no point anyone else yelling at me with the expectation of getting a tuner, since this is the only one in the office. It may not seem fair that Derek gets one, but don't worry, I've activated the special mode which causes it to receive only Rush Limbaugh and country music.

And, of course, they get away with it, because the product itself is so good

Nice of you to say so.

Rob

#37424 - 08/09/2001 10:01 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: rob]
Dredd
enthusiast

You think you're frustrated at seeing no sign of them? I know where they are physically stacked, fully packaged and ready to be shipped. I thought they HAD been shipped. THAT is frustration.

That I can believe. Don't take it personally, Rob, I know you're a good guy, and are trying to do the best that can be done, HOWEVER, "the company" [taken as a whole], while it may have been screaming at each other internally, didn't do as good a job as possible in keeping the customers (a) aware, (b) happy, when it came to the "Tuner Debacle". Left to our own devices for over a year, and kept in the dark, and having already been promised something, it's going to generate uncertainty and a certain amount of .. animosity is too strong a term, but unhappiness seems a little weak. This is something which started back when it was just Empeg, Ltd., and which got better when SB bought Empeg (if only because Rio/SB's buying power gave us a light at the end of the tunnel ).

I think my point is, besides the rambling nature of course, that folks were made to wait an obscene amount of time, with basically only an occasional half-hearted apology being tossed their way. I'm not sure WHAT should have been done (whether a rebate for the wait, some sort of upgrade, a discount on other Empeg/Rio/SONICblue hardware... something), but the apologies always sort of came off as distracted and half-hearted and - although I don't believe you INTENDED it this way - uncaring.

No, you're not talking to SONICblue. This has never been an official BBS, and nobody who could do anything to speed up the shipment of tuners visits here. If it starts to be perceived that posts from employees are official line, I'll have to stop posting for as long as I'm employed by SONICblue.

Not that at all... just meant that I was talking to you about "empegisms" and you seemed to be passing the buck making it a "sonicblueism" and so something you would be disassociated with. The non-official presence is still the best way to go.

Although I don't give a toss about customers, and am probably laughing at you right now while I party in Hawaii with the rest of the empeg team

... you forgot "surrounded by scantily clad island girls".

It may not seem fair that Derek gets one, but don't worry, I've activated the special mode which causes it to receive only Rush Limbaugh and country music

Ack! Cheeky Bastard!

And, of course, they get away with it, because the product itself is so good

Nice of you to say so.

To intimate otherwise would be lying. The product is top-notch, despite previous heated debates about the non-glare screen issue. In the end, there has ALWAYS been a commitment from you guys to make sure the product was the best it could be. And if me, the original Disgruntled Customer, can say that, you've got to believe its true.

#37425 - 08/09/2001 10:45 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: msaeger]
Dredd
enthusiast

I think - for me at least - this product's development and release was no different than any other with the exception of, as you point out, we got to see it behind the scenes, AND because it was sorta "pre-sold" while it was still definitely vaporware.

#37426 - 08/09/2001 12:48 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: rob]
xavyer

In reply to:

I thought they HAD been shipped.

This is disappointing news.

Rob, your commitment is without question, and I'm confident that your patience has been worn as thin as has ours. I'm equally confident that you understand the disappointment. You have stated, very clearly, this matter is not within your realm of responsibility. However, there is, undeniably a communication problem somewhere in 'the system'. As a favor, would you mind pointing us at a person sufficiently high enough in the management food chain to ensure that the message does find its way to the correct individual?

#37427 - 08/09/2001 14:00 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: squish]
Derek
addict

Loc: NRW, Germany
well you could have had a crappy tuner ages ago. Then everyone would have really has something to complain about!

(list 6284, Mk1 S/N 00299 4GB blue [for sale]. Mk2 S/N 080000094 6GB blue)

#37428 - 08/09/2001 14:12 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: Dredd]
Derek
addict

Loc: NRW, Germany
Dredd, I can't be bothered reading this rubbish. Rob has been really good letting us know what is going on. If you think you can do better yourself then go for it! You could have had a crappy tuner ages ago, but instead, your bonus for waiting is that you are getting a much better tuner than was ever offered at the beginning, and if you upgraded you aren't paying any more for it! You aren't only getting a top notch FM tuner, you are getting an AM tuner AND and interface for a Sony stalk controller. Oh, and I guess we'd better not forget the ID switch. But gee, I guess you'd rather have the first tuner they came up with. I'm sure Rob could bang one together for you - there are a heap of components lying in their store room that aren't any use to them any more! Now stop your wingeing and leave the BBS for people who have real problems or are looking for ways to make their player even better!

(list 6284, Mk1 S/N 00299 4GB blue [for sale]. Mk2 S/N 080000094 6GB blue)

#37429 - 08/09/2001 15:18 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: Derek]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
Derek,

I'm glad someone else feels the way I do. Dredd-the only time your name pops up on this board is when you have a complaint. Do you ever have something semi-productive or helpful to say? We all know it has been 15 months. At least we conviced them that they needed a FM/AM tuner instead of an FM only one. Yes, I'm not happy I had to wait 15 months for a tuner, but now that I have it, I don't use it much anyway. Im sorry you feel that the empeg people have an I don't care attitude, but you are wrong. If they didn't care, they wouldn't show up on this board or give updates on anything.

--Sean

#37430 - 08/09/2001 16:05 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: Terminator]
Dredd
enthusiast

Maybe the only time my name comes up "when I'm complaining" is because I'm not someone (and this is NOT necessarily directed at you) who has my nose up Empeg/SB's collective arses.

You might not LIKE the fact that I bitched loud and hard about the non-glare screens, way back when, but it got the problem corrected for those who were affected.

As I told Rob in another post, I'm ECSTATIC with the quality of the gear itself, and have won a couple converts among co-workers, convincing them to buy the gear. Just because I don't partake of the "love-in" attitude, don't think that somehow I'm down on it all.

D

#37431 - 08/09/2001 16:29 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: Dredd]
Terminator
old hand

Yes you did help us out with the screen problem. You saved me 15 dollars. I have no problem complaining about how sonicblue handled a problem, but it would be pointless for me to do so. Empeg is owned by sonicblue now. Some things can't be helped or sped up by posting here. At least we can still give input on software issues. It's interesting though, how no one seems to know whos in charge of what in a company as large as sonicblue is. I dont worship empeg, but I do enjoy their MK2 product. I also appreciate the communication that exists between the users and the developers. I think your anger may be misdirected this time though.

Sean

#37432 - 08/09/2001 16:44 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: Terminator]
Dredd
enthusiast

Empeg is owned by sonicblue now. Some things can't be helped or sped up by posting here.

Agreed that some things can't be helped or sped up, but the interests of objectivity are best served by making sure all sides of the story are known... we see a lot of the good, and the things that get done RIGHT, like the improvements that were made to the tuner, the software enhancements, etc. It's only fair for there to be open and frank discussion on the flip side of the coin as well.

Like I'd said to Rob "I don't know WHAT he could have done differently", but there was just some poor communication on that front.

It's interesting though, how no one seems to know whos in charge of what in a company as large as sonicblue is.

Disturbing isn't the word I'd use, especially were I a shareholder.

I dont worship empeg, but I do enjoy their MK2 product.

Count me in for double or triple on that sentiment.

I think your anger may be misdirected this time though.

I don't think I was really "angry", except maybe after Rob's reply, because the tone of his reply was a lot shittier (I think) than the tone of my complaint. My original post (a reply to wvloon), I think was more to let him know that he wasn't the only one upset that upgraders got accidentally screwed by Sonicblue's .. "issues", and the Empeg issues before that, and an attempt to make Rob/et.al. realize that I don't think they really understand the number of unhappy people, especially given the latest blunder... I think the percentage of people willing to speak up "against" SB about stuff is small because of the "us vs. them" mentality (e.g., see the replies I received, present company excluded).

D

#37433 - 08/09/2001 17:11 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: Dredd]
Terminator
old hand

"Agreed that some things can't be helped or sped up, but the interests of objectivity are best served by making sure all sides of the story are known... we see a lot of the good, and the things that get done RIGHT, like the improvements that were made to the tuner, the software enhancements, etc. It's only fair for there to be open and frank discussion on the flip side of the coin as well."

Fair enough, if you read the thread about people who ordered their tuners and haven't received them, you will find more of that there. There is a lack of communication between digital river and sonic blue it seems. Mine got here before I even got an email with a tracking number. They ran out of tuners and when customers call in to check on order status, they get directed to the other organization. "the point the finger at the other guy approach" Someone doesnt know what they are doing there. On the other hand, thank God they didn't turn tech support over to the americans, then nothing would ever get fixed. That would have been a disaster

"It's interesting though, how no one seems to know whos in charge of what in a company as large as sonicblue is.

Disturbing isn't the word I'd use, especially were I a shareholder."

Thats why im not a shareholder. Its a conglomeration of a bunch of seperate companies. Impossible to integrate them im sure.

" I don't think I was really "angry", except maybe after Rob's reply, because the tone of his reply was a lot shittier (I think) than the tone of my complaint. My original post (a reply to wvloon), I think was more to let him know that he wasn't the only one upset that upgraders got accidentally screwed by Sonicblue's .. "issues", and the Empeg issues before that, and an attempt to make Rob/et.al. realize that I don't think they really understand the number of unhappy people, especially given the latest blunder... I think the percentage of people willing to speak up "against" SB about stuff is small because of the "us vs. them" mentality (e.g., see the replies I received, present company excluded). "

Maybe I misread your post, but I thought you were angry. Lots of people have posted on how long we have waited for tuners over the last few months. Now I will read about how long v2.0 has taken for the next several months. Then all the posts will be about "wheres our voice recognition?"

Sean

#37434 - 09/09/2001 09:16 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: ClemsonJeep]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

OK, I didn't mean to start up a flame war with this post, or any follow ups, but I guess that's what happened.

And through all the flaming, I don't think the question I originally asked got answered:

Have there been any updates or new estimated times on when we should get our tuners? And if this is the incorrect place to be asking, could I get a phone number of someone at SonicBLUE who would have this information for me?

(O|||||O)

#37435 - 09/09/2001 14:05 Re: Any Mk1 Upgraders Get Their Tuner? [Re: ClemsonJeep]
rob
carpal tunnel

I spoke with Steve today. At 11pm on Friday he finally found someone to take responsibility for shipping the parts to Cambridge. When they're in transit I might just share the DHL tracking number with the BBS as proof

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >