Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#371384 - 14/11/2018 14:03 Re: Portable projector recommendations? [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: mlord
I have decided that the [ABOX A6] fan noise is simply TOO LOUD to stick with it. Pity that, because it does have an LED bulb in it that will likely never need replacing.

Now that I have used a couple of current model DLP projectors here, the ABOX A6 looks better than I initially thought. It has the best remote control, and menus, and is the only one of the three with a built-in USB media player. It is also the only one with automatic software (vertical only) keystone correction -- a feature that is handy for portable use, moving from room to room or whatever.

But it was simply too LOUD for my study, about double the perceived volume of the BenQ projector. And a lot dimmer, but still surprisingly good for only 200 ANSI lumens.

It was also on Lightning Deals last night for CAD$300 instead of the usual CAD$370. If that price rolls around more often, the thing could be a really good choice for situations where the noise isn't as big of an issue.

There.. just had to get that off my chest in fairness. smile

#371385 - 14/11/2018 20:28 Re: Portable projector recommendations? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: tfabris
A light coloured wall of sufficient size would also do the trick, and the BenQ even has "paint colour correction" in the menus!

Okay, that's really awesome. I had a friend many years ago who used a projector on his living room wall. It worked well except for all the movies had a slightly tan tinge to them. It's great that the projector manufacturers are taking that into account.

I also find that pretty appealing. I might just shine onto a wall until I get the screen up...

#371386 - 14/11/2018 20:40 Re: Portable projector recommendations? [Re: Dignan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

BenQ actually calls it "Wall Color Correction", and offers a small selection of presets: Light Yellow, Pink, Light Green, Blue, and Blackboard. I imagine "Light Yellow" would also work for light beige. Other wall colours could be tweaked for with the usual projector colour adjustments, on the BenQ or on other projectors as well.

But.. on my BenQ at least, I have yet to figure out how to actually get it to permit me to adjust Color/Tint/Sharpness. Those menu items are grayed out here. The manual says "According to the detected signal type and selected picture mode, some of the below functions may not be available." I'm betting they're only available when the analog VGA input is used. frown

Edited by mlord (14/11/2018 20:43)

#371391 - 18/11/2018 19:42 Re: Portable projector recommendations? [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Finished the projection install today. I shelf mounted it in an existing wall unit, and added a 140mm external QUIET fan to draw the warm exhaust flow upwards and away from listeners' ears. All of the wiring goes to a power and keystone combo outlet, located at projector level and just right of the bookcase.

The 100" diagonal screen arrived yesterday, and is now hanging by chains from the ceiling over top of the electronics bench. When pulled down, the bottom is about 8cm above the table top.

The Logitech Z-5500 sound system is also now all in place with wires mostly tucked out of sight.

Despite being on the North-East corner of our home, this room is still quite bright, with four windows of its own plus light streaming in through the south facing doorway. The projector (BenQ) is still visible under these conditions, but quite faded, so I have added blackout drapes to the windows left of the screen, and fab'd a fold-away light blocking panel from cardboard for the other windows, for use when needed.

I have tried the ABOX A6 alongside the BenQ under similar conditions (all windows streaming light) and it is not very visible by comparison. But with just a bit of shade around the windows it also looks pretty good.

Yes, I still have an ABOX A6 -- the sellers wanted me to have another look at it so they sent me a freebie after I returned the original. Now that I've used the BenQ and Optoma projectors, the ABOX isn't really all that bad. Especially when the room is dimmed, which I find I want even for the BenQ DLP. So the only real bad mark on the ABOX is the fan noise, and I did update my Amazon review to be just a little bit kinder to it. smile

Cheers

Attachments
proj1.jpg

Description: Projector on the shelf.

proj2.jpg

Description: View of aux cooling fan from above.

proj3.jpg

Description: The 100-inch pull-down screen.

proj4.jpg

Description: Movie time!

#371392 - 18/11/2018 20:03 Re: Portable projector recommendations? [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Here (attached) is the original FULL SIZE version of photo4 ("Movie time!") from above, showing the movie setup in all of its glory, in case anyone wants to pixel peep. smile

Attachments
PROJ4.jpg (189 downloads)
Description: Movie time.. full size image.

#371393 - 19/11/2018 02:05 Re: Portable projector recommendations? [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

My motivation is to have my office/study do extra duty as a part-time home theater setup, in addition to its current role as part-time guest room with a sofa bed. .. the setup has to be out of the way of normal functionality when not in use

Mission accomplished! It cost a tiny bit of shelf space, but otherwise the room is pretty much as before, and converts to a nice "home theater" setup with the pull of a drawstring (to deploy the screen), and optionally placement of some cardboard over the East window during daytime. For a sense of scale, note that the table below the screen is actually five feet wide, and the ceiling is nine feet above the floor.

Our home does have a space downstairs that was designated for "home theater" use, but this triple use of space upstairs is so much better for our situation. Something to think about perhaps.

Cheers

#371395 - 19/11/2018 14:03 Re: Portable projector recommendations? [Re: Roger]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Okay, so the BenQ projector supports "3D Mode", and Amazon sells compatible 3D LCD shutter glasses for CAD$45/pair.

I know nothing much about 3D stuff: what else is required, other than a video file of a 3D recording?

Does the PC / video card need to do anything special?

EDIT: Answering my own question here, yes, a special "stereoscopic video player" application is needed. So for me here, that would be Bino. Mmmm.. probably not worth the $45 (for the glasses) to satisfy my curiosity about this discarded tech standard though.

Edited by mlord (19/11/2018 14:13)

#371396 - 19/11/2018 14:40 Re: Portable projector recommendations? [Re: mlord]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Did you build that fan housing or was it something you found bought?

Edited by Tim (19/11/2018 14:43)

#371397 - 19/11/2018 14:47 Re: Portable projector recommendations? [Re: Roger]
mlord
carpal tunnel

The fan housing was just cobbled together from wood scraps with hot-melt glue and the odd nail. smile

It it an open-sided box against the projector's air outflow grill, with an open top at the front for the 140mm fan. After building it, I thought it looked a little chunky, so I chopped off the bottom corner of the part that sticks out, making it into a 45 degree upward slope. Slopped on some white paint and.. there she be.

#371398 - 19/11/2018 14:50 Re: Portable projector recommendations? [Re: mlord]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Gotcha. I haven't seen a fan housing like that, which is surprising. I would imagine it would be pretty useful with some of the places people are stashing electronics.

Damn good idea.

#371412 - 26/11/2018 14:14 Re: Portable projector recommendations? [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Now that I have used a couple of current model DLP projectors here, the ABOX A6 looks better than I initially thought.

Today Amazon Canada has the ABOX A6 for CAD$260. At that price, it would be very hard to resist if I didn't already have a projector setup here now!

#372196 - 09/08/2019 07:38 Re: Portable projector recommendations? [Re: Dignan]
GarrettP
new poster

Originally Posted By: Dignan
Good cheap portable. As far as I've seen you can have two.

This is the type of thing I offload to the Wirecutter:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-pico projector

Pico projectors are so worth. Considering their dimensions and audio quality, they are perfect for non-stationary usage.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2