Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#354776 - 11/09/2012 14:34 Re: Banks and hats. [Re: tonyc]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: tonyc
Originally Posted By: Tim

It is easier, quicker

But speed and simplicity are not valid arguments for using cash.

It always seems to take longer for somebody to pull the card out, swipe it, go through the menu options, wait for it to get approved, then sign it than just handing over the cash. Maybe it is because the grocery store I use has an automatic change dispenser, but getting change back takes no time at all. No matter how much stuff folks are purchasing when they use cash, the lines just seem to move faster. It could definitely just be a perception, but when I have to use a card, it just feels like I'm waiting forever and people are staring at me waiting to get done.

#354777 - 11/09/2012 15:04 Re: Banks and hats. [Re: Tim]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, the auto change dispensers are helpful, but they don't generally give you bills back, so you still have to deal with a cashier for those.

A lot of places can process small to medium-sized credit card payments without a signature these days -- I think it depends on how much they're willing to pay the middlemen for the privilege.

#354791 - 12/09/2012 03:32 Re: Banks and hats. Or credit cards [Re: tonyc]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Originally Posted By: tonyc
Yeah, the auto change dispensers are helpful, but they don't generally give you bills back, so you still have to deal with a cashier for those.

A lot of places can process small to medium-sized credit card payments without a signature these days -- I think it depends on how much they're willing to pay the middlemen for the privilege.

It's the amount of risk they are willing to take. For instance, every pay at the pump gas station has some transaction limit per swipe. The station owner can set that to any amount they want. They typically set it to match the garanteed payment limit for unsigned charges. That way they get reimbursed even if a stolen card is used. Charges over that limit must have a signature and be authorized, to get the same guarantee. Or you swipe again.

Seperatly, There was a recent court ruling that the various card companies had conspired to fix merchant fees. One part of the fallout may be that merchants, will be free to offer discounts to customers paying with cash.

#354792 - 12/09/2012 09:22 Re: Banks and hats. [Re: hybrid8]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Then there's also non-business transactions. If I owe someone money, I like to pay them in cash, not write them a cheque.

Depending on the amount, I usually use a bank transfer. Of course they're free in the UK. I think you North Americans get hammered for those.

#354793 - 12/09/2012 09:46 Re: Banks and hats. Or credit cards [Re: gbeer]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: gbeer
For instance, every pay at the pump gas station has some transaction limit per swipe. The station owner can set that to any amount they want.

Around here that is set at a $100 limit. One of my friends has a RV and he has to swipe his card three times to fill the thing up. It is great watching that.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3