Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#247229 - 28/01/2005 18:43 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: andy]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Oh well if QVC is your bag then you're sorted irrespective of chosen platform.

Andy M

#247230 - 28/01/2005 20:30 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: andym]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:
I've used an FTA sat receiver and found the number of channels available sorely lacking. In fact, I'd say there's better stuff on Freeview. I think if you're going to the hassle of putting a dish up, you might as well pay 13 quid and get 100-odd channels.

But for £13/month you get: Sky One, Sky One, Discovery Home & Leisure, Bloomberg. That's it, everything else is available FTV - the Value pack is a bit odd! The ways to get a FTV card are/have been:

- An expired Sky card
- The old "Solus" card paid for by the BBC
- The £20 Free2View.tv card (was only available for about 6 months)
- www.freesatfromsky.co.uk (£150 inc. installation, £20 for just the card)

It is a hassle putting up a dish but everybody I know with Freeview needed an aerial upgrade anyway so you might as well pay a man to put up the dish. I have hand-aligned dishes and it is a hassle but not hugely difficult. We had the main TV downstairs with the Sky "Family Pack" but other sets coming off a Philips quad LNB (£50).

A comprehensive list of channels is here:

http://www.wickonline.com/fta.htm

Gareth

#349861 - 18/01/2012 06:02 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Holy thread revival.....

Having had virginmedias TiVo box (well 2 of them in our house) for the best part of 6 months, I have to wonder how come they're so revered?

The UI is clumsy at best, it's awkward to navigate full of superfluous button presses. It never seems to remember things, like if I press guide then I expect to be presented with the guide page centred around the channel i'm watching, not back at the start of the list.

If I stop a recording from playing I expect it to resume from where I left off, not from the start.

It really doesn't seem that well thought out or particularly polished.

That said, I do actually like it, usability issues aside its pretty good, the suggestions are things that it does do well. Virgin do actually seem to be applying pressure onto TiVo, because it would appear that long standing gripes & issues that people have had no success in getting fixed across the Atlantic are now being remedied.

And the killer usability feature is the iPad app, infact most of my gripes with the UI disseapear when using it because it's so fluid and natural to use, it's everything that the UI on the box isn't!

A few more updates and I think it'll be a killer system.

Adrian

#349862 - 18/01/2012 11:56 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: sn00p]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, you probably won't find a lot of people exclaiming TiVo's virtues any more. Most PVRs have come a long way since they first started eating TiVo's lunch.

That said, none of the problems you describe have existed on any of my TiVos back to when they were first launched.

Taking a quick look at the Virgin Media web site, it looks like the one you have has the UI of the US TiVo Premiere, which hasn't gotten good reviews, though mostly due to underpowered hardware rather than actual problems like you're describing. However, part of the complaints have been about the new UI being clumsy. It's the first real UI update since TiVo launched, and it sounds like it didn't go all that well.

Basically what I'm saying is that TiVo built up a lot of good will by having a really robust, well made device, then squandered that through glacial updates and a poor version 2.

#349867 - 18/01/2012 16:54 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: sn00p
The UI is clumsy at best, it's awkward to navigate full of superfluous button presses.

Wow, I would never say that about the Tivo experience I've had for the last 10-12 years. "Superfluous button presses" is not a phrase that's computing with me right now when I think of Tivo. Aside from up/down or selecting a folder of recordings (which is necessary for any DVR), I can play a recorded show in two button presses.

Quote:
It never seems to remember things, like if I press guide then I expect to be presented with the guide page centred around the channel i'm watching, not back at the start of the list.

As Bitt said, this does not describe my experience. It's not really a case of "remembering," the guide just starts with the channel you're watching and you go up and down from there.

Quote:
If I stop a recording from playing I expect it to resume from where I left off, not from the start.

Again, I've never seen this happen on any of the Tivos I've owned. The only case in which it happens is if the playback is near the very end of a recording (like the last 5%) and you leave it without choosing to delete the recording. In every other case it remembers the playback. I could go into my Now Playing List, start every recording in there, and stop them half way through, and it would remember the playback position of each recording.

Quote:
It really doesn't seem that well thought out or particularly polished.

I would love to see a video of what you're talking about, because that's the opposite of how I'd describe Tivo. Tivo has always been the alternative to poorly polished provider DVRs.

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Well, you probably won't find a lot of people exclaiming TiVo's virtues any more.

You can find me, and I don't think I'm in a minority.

Quote:
Most PVRs have come a long way since they first started eating TiVo's lunch.

They have come a long way, and they still eat Tivo's lunch, and Tivo still suffers from people calling those boxes "Tivos," but that doesn't mean they've caught up. My mother has the Fios DVR, which is better than most (not as good as DirecTV though). That interface is clunky, the remote is clunkier, and the whole system is just slow. For example, when I fast forward through a commercial on Tivo and I see the show come back on, when I press play Tivo jumps back a few seconds so you don't miss the start. On her DVR it just starts where you press play. This is a basic thing that a DVR needs to have.

Quote:
Taking a quick look at the Virgin Media web site, it looks like the one you have has the UI of the US TiVo Premiere, which hasn't gotten good reviews, though mostly due to underpowered hardware 8rather than actual problems like you're describing. However, part of the complaints have been about the new UI being clumsy. It's the first real UI update since TiVo launched, and it sounds like it didn't go all that well.

Ah my apologies, my earlier statements about the interface may not apply to the new version. But given the buttons on my remote, I assume it's just as easy to start a recording.

Quote:
Basically what I'm saying is that TiVo built up a lot of good will by having a really robust, well made device, then squandered that through glacial updates and a poor version 2.

I can't argue with that. Tivo perfected the interface for the DVR in ~2001, and didn't do a thing to it for 10 years. I think it baffled every Series 3 and TivoHD owner that the freaking menus weren't even updated to be HD. Even now, my little Tivo guy is sitting at the top of my Tivo menus looking low-res and squat. It's odd.

Edited by Dignan (18/01/2012 16:55)

#349870 - 18/01/2012 17:19 Re: Tivo dead in UK? [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
BTW, I'm hoping to get my Tivo Premiere Elite soon. Clearly I'm a Tivo fan smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2