Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#327988 - 10/12/2009 11:27 Looking to buy a handle
Rezolution
enthusiast

I've been trying to fix the handle on my mkII for a very long time now. It just keeps breaking (no glue will hold the white metal together). Is anyone willing to part with one that they have on a dead unit? Or does someone have a part stock somewhere? I'm really tired to having to pull up on both broken pieces of the handle to get it out of the sled frown

#328019 - 12/12/2009 01:29 Re: Looking to buy a handle [Re: Rezolution]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Right now it's most likely more expensive to have a handle machined, that to buy a used unit and scrap it for the handle.

#328134 - 16/12/2009 13:08 Re: Looking to buy a handle [Re: gbeer]
Rezolution
enthusiast

Oh, I'm not looking to buy a unit and scrap it for a handle. I'm looking for someone that has a stock pile of old scrapped units that may have a spare handle they are willing to sell. I know a few ppl here were saying they can't repair some badly damaged units and keep them for parts.

#328135 - 16/12/2009 13:09 Re: Looking to buy a handle [Re: Rezolution]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Originally Posted By: Rezolution
Oh, I'm not looking to buy a unit and scrap it for a handle. I'm looking for someone that has a stock pile of old scrapped units that may have a spare handle they are willing to sell. I know a few ppl here were saying they can't repair some badly damaged units and keep them for parts.

Yes, they are keeping them for when their handle snaps wink

#328137 - 16/12/2009 14:13 Re: Looking to buy a handle [Re: g_attrill]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Ping me next week, I've got a spare "dead" unit that I've been saving for parts that I may be able to dig up. Is $50 + shipping reasonable?

#328142 - 16/12/2009 17:37 Re: Looking to buy a handle [Re: Rezolution]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'm pretty sure everything to repair your handle has been suggested, but I'll offer this anyway, just in case.

Remove your handle — both pieces wink — and use something to temporarily hold the two pieces together: superglue or whatever. Then cut a slot that spans the break into the back of the handle with a dremel grinding disc or something similar. I'd say probably four inches or so of groove. Get a metal rod and cut it to fit in that groove. Then epoxy the rod into the groove, holding the two pieces together.

That should dramatically increase the surface area of the contact surfaces for the glue to adhere to, and as long as that's enough to keep that rod/spline from coming out, and the rod itself is strong enough not to break, that ought to work.