Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#322713 - 28/05/2009 07:35 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: hybrid8]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I've enjoyed Reaper, but it is kind of hard to see where they'd take it further anyway. It has all got a bit samey.

#322724 - 28/05/2009 12:25 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Matt and Bitt, you've nailed exactly the problems I have with the show (Medium). I mean exactly, to the word

Despite these problems, I still enjoy it far more than most other shows.

But the question that's been on my mind for the longest time... Is it common in Arizona to have a dead-bolt at or above eye-level on a front door?

#322725 - 28/05/2009 12:27 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: andy]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: andy
I've enjoyed Reaper, but it is kind of hard to see where they'd take it further anyway. It has all got a bit samey.

I've found that season two has not been repetitive at all. In fact it's become quite serialized and the main plot of each episode has nothing to do with capturing an escaped soul.

#322726 - 28/05/2009 13:37 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: hybrid8]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Originally Posted By: hybrid8

I've found that season two has not been repetitive at all. In fact it's become quite serialized and the main plot of each episode has nothing to do with capturing an escaped soul.

Thinking about it, you are right. It isn't that it is samey, more than I just can't see where the story can go from here. It isn't as if he can really even be seen to beat the devil.

The only way I could see it moving on is if lots of the plot ended up being played out in hell. But that would end up with cheesy and expensive sets and visual FX.

#322737 - 28/05/2009 18:47 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA

I was thinking the same thing. I finally watched the finale, and I think an entire 3 minutes was spent on actually capturing the escaped soul.

I thought the show had a lot going for it this season, and was really starting to enjoy it again. The primary problem I had with the show was actually Sam. The character (or maybe it's just the actor) has always been so whinny and complaintive that it was getting hard to cheer for him most of the time. I think that's why the show depends so heavily on Sock and Ben, to take some of the focus off Sam. This season, though, I thought they made him a little better about all that.

I was also hoping the thing between Nina's friend and Sock would get explored more. I liked that someone was matching up with Sock.

But the bottom line is: once more, we as fans (those of us who are fans of Reaper) have put all this time and energy into watching CW's show, put up with one of the longer TV show breaks in recent memory (I think they might have beaten BSG), and we've put up with those ridiculous screen bugs for other shows on the CW that had nothing to do with Reaper (they were always for 90210 and Gossip Girl, I don't think I ever saw one for Supernatural). After all this, we now have to hope that the show gets picked up in order to find out what happens?

Like I've said before, all I'd like is a few shows to wrap up the plot, or at least something from the show runners. I'd take a poorly-drawn comic book smile

I want closure, damnit! smile

#322742 - 28/05/2009 19:17 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

As far as TV goes, I'm looking forward to season 2 of True Blood in a few weeks. Seems like the premium cable channels are where you'll find the TV that gets so easily cancelled elsewhere. Plus a little T&A which doesn't hurt anyone either. wink

I'm sure if Weeds or Dexter had been on network TV, both would have been cancelled long ago.

#322750 - 28/05/2009 21:14 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hey, what's the start date for True Blood?

#322759 - 29/05/2009 00:17 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Hey, what's the start date for True Blood?

Off the top of my head, mid-june sometime. But what with modern technology and all, hold on a sec and I'll search for it (yes, I could link to that funny auto-Google thing you posted a little while back, but I've since forgotten the URL wink )

EDIT: True Blood Season 2 premieres on June 14th.

Edited by hybrid8 (29/05/2009 00:18)

#322760 - 29/05/2009 00:18 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Damn, I should have rick-rolled you. But I didn't.

#322767 - 29/05/2009 03:03 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

As far as TV goes, I'm looking forward to season 2 of True Blood in a few weeks. Seems like the premium cable channels are where you'll find the TV that gets so easily cancelled elsewhere. Plus a little T&A which doesn't hurt anyone either. wink

I watched True Blood, and will probably watch season 2, but I don't see what everyone's raving about. It's not that great a show. Maybe the acting just doesn't do it for me. Anna Paquin is terrible, IMO.

Quote:
I'm sure if Weeds or Dexter had been on network TV, both would have been cancelled long ago.

Dexter has been on network TV. I believe it was the first cable TV show to get re-aired in primetime. My wife and I watched a few episodes, and frankly we were astonished at how well it held up with the cuts that were made. We saw no problems, and it was easily the best dubbing I've ever seen, particularly given how much Deb cursed in season one smile

I know that's not really what you meant, but I think it's interesting that the show has worked on a network.

Besides, there are plenty of shows on premium cable that get canceled early. Carnivale is easily one of my 5 favorite shows of all time, but that got the axe after season two. Deadwood seemed to be pretty popular, but that also got two seasons.

#322768 - 29/05/2009 03:16 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Carnivale... that was TV worth watching. I had only just gotten my HD-DirecTiVo and suddenly my "HD-ready" rear-projection CRT just came alive with Carnivale. When they'd go from night scenes to day, I'd squint from the brightness. Ahh...

I'll say this, though. If they'd somehow been able to cobble together a season 3, it would have been one hell of a confusing plot to recover from the ending of season 2.

Which reminds me... I only just recently discovered that they did a comic book Buffy Season 8, canonical, written by Joss Wheadon. How did I manage to miss this? Now I need to figure out whether I want to dive back into the Buffyverse or not. From the non-spoilers, it looks like things changed in a pretty big way. There's no longer even the hint of a pretense of the Scooby gang pretending to be regular college students.

Edited by DWallach (29/05/2009 03:16)

#322777 - 29/05/2009 10:20 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I'm praying that HBO will grace us with a bluray of Carnivale one day. It's simply the most gorgeous TV show I've ever seen. I definitely think they could have picked up the plot and kept going. There were some big elements that they brought up in just the last episode.

Originally Posted By: DWallach
Which reminds me... I only just recently discovered that they did a comic book Buffy Season 8, canonical, written by Joss Wheadon. How did I manage to miss this?

Oh yeah, it's been out for quite some time. There's also Angel: After the Fall. I've read all but the last couple issues of that, and I give it a resounding...meh. Sadly it's a pretty big, confusing mess, and I'm really put-off by the art style. There are several high points in the story though, especially dealing with Spike and Illyria. *edit* Actually, what I'm thinking about was technically part of a short run entitled Spike: After the Fall. I'd probably recommend that.

I've heard a good deal about Buffy Season 8, and it sounds pretty crazy, especially with what happens to Dawn smile I just haven't started reading it because I want to wait until they've got a good deal of story behind them. I hate the long wait of the comic book world.

Quote:
From the non-spoilers, it looks like things changed in a pretty big way. There's no longer even the hint of a pretense of the Scooby gang pretending to be regular college students.

Well, Buffy was pretty much done with college after season 4, and Willow was definitely done after season 6, and I don't think there was even a mention of it in season 7. Besides, that would make them seniors in the comic, but I'm pretty sure they've given up on school.

Edited by Dignan (29/05/2009 10:26)

#322786 - 29/05/2009 11:25 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: DWallach]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: DWallach
And with Terminator canceled, Heroes adrift without decent writing, and Chuck uncertain for renewal, it's not a high point for television. I will say that I'm enjoying season 2 of Breaking Bad (on AMC), but it's not for everybody.

I figured Terminator was done for after the last episode, which is sad. I'd like to see where they were going with that.

I figured Dollhouse was going to get canceled. Much to my surprise it didn't. At least there is still something I will watch on TV.

#322814 - 30/05/2009 01:41 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: Tim]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Tim
I figured Dollhouse was going to get canceled. Much to my surprise it didn't. At least there is still something I will watch on TV.

Yeah, talk about a 180. That was looking like the worst show on television, and now I can't wait for more. Of course, it's hard to go wrong with Alan Tudyk.

#322815 - 30/05/2009 02:21 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

A new episode of Pushing Daisies is on tonight (Saturday) at 10 PM (EST) on ABC. Make sure your Season's Pass or other PVR feature is set if you were previously following the show.

#322818 - 30/05/2009 10:12 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Oooo! Thanks for the heads up!

#323135 - 10/06/2009 01:09 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Announced today, Comedy Central has picked up Futurama for 26 new episodes to begin broadcasting in 2010 for two seasons. Woo!

#323136 - 10/06/2009 01:15 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I just got around to catching up on the last three episodes, and I must say that Breaking Bad may be the best show on TV right now.

#323138 - 10/06/2009 01:29 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: wfaulk]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Interesting side-note on Breaking Bad, turns out they've got SaveWalterWhite.com as a real web site. Cute.

#323139 - 10/06/2009 01:36 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I see that the donation button goes to the National Cancer Coalition. Probably should have gone to the National Gigantic Assholes Coalition. (Megarectum?)

#323142 - 10/06/2009 03:07 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Announced today, Comedy Central has picked up Futurama for 26 new episodes to begin broadcasting in 2010 for two seasons. Woo!

Nice, can't wait for the new episodes to start. The 4 DVD movies apparently did well enough to keep the zombie going.

#323146 - 10/06/2009 10:53 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: drakino

Nice, can't wait for the new episodes to start. The 4 DVD movies apparently did well enough to keep the zombie going.

I think I'm more excited about this than I was about the movies, because I really think that Futurama works better as 30 minute episodes. The show is just so zany that it needs a tighter feel, I think.

Although I did like the first movie due to its picking on the studio execs that canned it in the first place. "Torgo's Executive Powder!"

I watched the first season of Breaking Bad, but have since stopped watching. It's a very good show but, aside from the meth stuff, is FAR too close to reality for me personally.

#323238 - 12/06/2009 02:00 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: Dignan]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

#323239 - 12/06/2009 10:15 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: tonyc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tonyc

Crap. That show was hilarious, but had a lot of heart too.

I know Darnell will take good care of Mr. Turtle...

#323241 - 12/06/2009 11:59 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

That's too bad. The article is basically saying that TBS wasn't willing to match the current budget for the show and likely wanted it produced for significantly less.

I was hoping the next season of Earl might be better. There were some decent highlights this season, but overall I didn't think it was as funny as season 1.

#323243 - 12/06/2009 12:15 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: tonyc]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: tonyc
We gave up on it after/during season 3.

Thought season 1 & 2 were brilliant- but season 3 really lost everything we enjoyed about the show imo.

#323244 - 12/06/2009 12:20 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: JeffS]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, the show had definitely fallen off a bit, but the acting and characters were good enough that it could have made a comeback. I guess we'll never know.

#323248 - 12/06/2009 13:05 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, season 3, the prison and coma season, was verging on awful. But the latest season had rebounded. Not as good as the first season, but pretty good.

#323249 - 12/06/2009 13:15 Re: The fall TV season '08 [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Yeah, season 3, the prison and coma season, was verging on awful. But the latest season had rebounded. Not as good as the first season, but pretty good.
That's good- I kind of felt like it may recover- but my wife and I had moved on to other shows by that point (well, pretty much just House now- everything else is just DvDs of old shows).

I suppose we'll have to get season 4 when it comes out on DVD. I have season 1 and will probably buy season 2- just a bummer that season 3 was so painful.

Oh yeah- and we got behind on Lost and missed the whole last season (wife was out of town- not allowed to watch without her, etc. etc.) so I'll have to get that as soon as it comes out too.

But basically- only things I'm looking forward to on TV now are Lost and House.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6