Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#284789 - 25/07/2006 07:39 Slim Devices Transporter
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_transporter.html

"Streaming music player for the audiophile"

$2k though

Edited by furtive (25/07/2006 07:42)

#284790 - 25/07/2006 10:17 Re: Slim Devices Transporter [Re: furtive]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
No FM. I'll stick with my empeg for now.

Cheers

#284791 - 25/07/2006 10:19 Re: Slim Devices Transporter [Re: mlord]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Although that photo does make me nostalgic for vu meters... <adjusts visual...> Ah...

#284792 - 25/07/2006 10:21 Re: Slim Devices Transporter [Re: furtive]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Mmmm.. no recording, no drives either. It's basically just a very overpriced version of their $300 Slim gadget, to appeal to folks who also purchase gold power cords.

Cheers

#284793 - 25/07/2006 11:53 Re: Slim Devices Transporter [Re: mlord]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

It's an interesting gamble for them. I have one friend who is squarely in their market demographic. He's the sort of guy who's put more money into his home stereo than his car (and it's not a cheap car, either). He's gone through a variety of different D/A solutions, pre-amps, etc., all in search of that perfect sound. And, I have to admit, I can hear the subtle differences when he flipped back and forth. Anyway, I forget the brands, but he's presently using one decoder for Dolby Digital / DTS, and an entirely separate decode for two-channel stereo. Both were quite pricey.

To somebody like my audiophile friend, the question is whether he's already got a good-enough D/A, and thus only needs "good" bits to feed it (and, naturally, what the best source of good bits would be; the "clocking" issue seems to be a big deal for him). Also, he's recently been sucked into the world of vinyl (*sigh*), so it's hard to say where that's all going to lead him.

#284794 - 25/07/2006 11:54 Re: Slim Devices Transporter [Re: mlord]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
At $2000 it must have one hell of a sweet margin. [homer] Mmmmmmm... Margin [/homer]

Dan, I think you mean your friend has been "suckered" into vinyl. It's sounds crappy now, has always sounded crappy and will forever continue to sound crappy. To appreciate the sound of vinyl is simply to relive some past younger memories. Or to feel some sort of connection to your past, like going to a Civil War reenactment, Williamsburg, a Pioneer Village, etc...

Edited by hybrid8 (25/07/2006 11:57)

#284795 - 25/07/2006 13:37 Re: Slim Devices Transporter [Re: hybrid8]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Yes, but it's a warmer, tonally rich crappy.

-Zeke

#284796 - 25/07/2006 15:20 Re: Slim Devices Transporter [Re: Ezekiel]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Quote:
but it's a warmer

I've struggled with this phrase ever since the inception of the CD, on winter nights, I sit in my muffler, cardigan and overcoat with my hands outstretched towards the speakers, trying to take advantage of the warmth!
But, that apart, I really have been unable to detect this warmth, any more than the coldness of C.D.s, even if I could, I'm sure that I could replcate it with a graphic equalizer. And now, in the MP3 age, I would count the benefit of going to any corner of my collection in seconds, when it suits me, having amassed nine weeks of music, as crucial.
Also I replace many of my L.P.s like for like with the corresponding CD, because the advances in digital recovery technology, particularly with the older blues artists, make hearing people like Ma Rainey, whose recordings all seemed to be in a particularly parlous state, a new and enthralling experience, cutting away the years.
I admit to missing L.P. artwork, that 12' x 12" opportunity for creativity, and I get really hacked off when I replace a vinyl copy with a CD and find that all that they've done is reduce the artwork to fit the jewel box and it's unreadable.

#284797 - 25/07/2006 15:32 Re: Slim Devices Transporter [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Vinyl actually does sound pretty good if you've got:

- a multi-thousand dollar turntable with an exotic tone arm and cartridge
- a dedicated, equally exotic, phono-to-line-level amplifier
- albums that you carefully clean before you play them

At that point, it sounds as good as a good CD. Realistically, the place where vinyl still occasionaly wins is that early CD remasterings were just awful. More modern CD remasterings (particularly of my favorite jazz cuts from the 1950's) are absolutely brilliant. If you're getting a remastering done before they'd figured out how to do it properly, you'd probably prefer the vinyl version.

(On the modern high-tech end, my friend has hybrid ribbon speakers with dedicated per-speaker class-D amplifiers, and all of his line-level signals go over XLR cabling. His main speakers go happily down to 20Hz, and then there's his subwoofer with its own parametric equalizer. It's all very impressive, if excessive.)

#284798 - 25/07/2006 17:02 Re: Slim Devices Transporter [Re: furtive]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I wish they made one with with all the knobs and buttons and the same form factor, but without all the "audiophile" gimcrackery and sold it for much less. I like my Squeezebox quite a bit, but I'd like it better if it were 19" wide and had some front-panel controls.

#284799 - 25/07/2006 17:44 Re: Slim Devices Transporter [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
And if the volume went to 11.

#284800 - 25/07/2006 19:01 Re: Slim Devices Transporter [Re: DWallach]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
And, I have to admit, I can hear the subtle differences when he flipped back and forth.

Were they at exactly the same volume level when he flipped between then? If not then it isn't a subjective test...

#284801 - 25/07/2006 22:05 Re: Slim Devices Transporter [Re: tman]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

We had the volume level pretty closely matched. The differences, in this particular test, could be best described as "fatiguing". The all-purpose Dolby Digital/DTS/etc. decoder just didn't sound quite as "good" as the single-purpose two-channel DAC.

Personally, I'd never spend that kind of cash, but there are real, noticable differences between different components. Back when I bought my Arcam AVR300 receiver for driving my 5-channel setup, I compared it against a cheaper NAD receiver driving the center and rear channels with an off-board NAD (or was it Rotel?) two-channel amp driving the main speakers. The sound with the all-in-one Arcam was just better, particularly the bass. Was that due to the decoding software? The quality of the DACs? Power supplies? I have no idea, but there was a subtle difference, so I went with the cheaper / better solution.

#284802 - 26/07/2006 06:02 Re: Slim Devices Transporter [Re: DWallach]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
My old record deck was not expensive, and my CD player in my hi-fi stack is - even so, vinyl ALWAYS sounds better than CD to me! I don't care how many tech companies tell me CDs have more precision than I can hear, I still know which sounds best.

But fitting a car record deck is £20,000 more expensive than I am willing to go:-)
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock