Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#266556 - 01/10/2005 04:57 Cancel while thinking...
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
So imagine you're driving down the road, when your empeg starts playing a tune you haven't heard in ages. You're really diggin' it, maybe even starting to seat dance at the stop lights (though not enough for the people in the other cars to notice). As you're driving, you wonder what album the song is on, so you do a long down press, to see if the text mode you had it in last shows the song details. Nope, it's on Now & Next. You don't care enough to find the right info mode, especially since you don't have your remote with you. You want to go back to the visuals, so another long down. Unfortunately, you go over a bump in the road, and the long becomes a short. As you go to hit cancel, you hit another bump, forcing your aim to be sff, and you hit another short down. Only problem is that you, somehow, managed to stutter-press that, and you find yourself in the middle of a down-down-down before you got to hear the end of the song.

So... how about being able to hit cancel while your next playlist is being generated, so you can stay within your current playlist?

Yeah, I know that the empeg is an (officially) un-supported doodad, but I figure that I have a better chance of getting this feature added than I do of upgrading my fingers to a version that doesn't include the fumble bug.

Cheers,

(*) References to seat dancing contained in this post are a dramatization only, and did not actually occur, slight head bobbing and finger drumming notwithstanding.

#266557 - 01/10/2005 05:52 Re: Cancel while thinking... [Re: canuckInOR]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It was once discussed that the Bookmark disk area could theoretically be used as "Undo" space instead. The idea being that each time you futzed with the playlist it could just be bookmarked before the new thing "took".

#266558 - 03/10/2005 00:17 Re: Cancel while thinking... [Re: tfabris]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Having an "undo playlist change" would be nice. I tend to accidentally unshuffle a playlist when I'm deep within in. Reshuffling causes too many repeats, so I'm forced to change playlists entirely.

#266559 - 03/10/2005 00:24 Re: Cancel while thinking... [Re: FireFox31]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Are you sure? The empeg is supposed to keep track of which tracks have already been played so that even if you unshuffle and reshuffle it'll put all of the already-heard tracks before the song it starts playing, albeit in a different order. It's always seemed to work for me.

#266560 - 03/10/2005 01:03 Re: Cancel while thinking... [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Remember, he refuses to upgrade...he's using OLD software.

#266561 - 03/10/2005 01:42 Re: Cancel while thinking... [Re: JBjorgen]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I was pretty sure that worked all the way back, but I guess that it's possible that it was a v2 enhancement.

#266562 - 03/10/2005 20:08 Re: Cancel while thinking... [Re: wfaulk]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I really don't think that feature works. I've been meaning to do more reading up on it and actual testing, but I spent a good long time trying to see it working on a short playlist, and I just couldn't. As described, it's supposed to know that it's "shown" you the track even if you skipped it. So, logically, pressing unshuffle/reshuffle on a playlist with no duplicates should leave you at the same position in the playlist. I'm away from my empeg at the moment, but I remember it not working every time I tried to see it working.

Matthew

#266563 - 03/10/2005 21:26 Re: Cancel while thinking... [Re: matthew_k]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I was under the impression that the re-shuffled playlist order isn't necessarily the same, it just puts the tracks that haven't played yet after the current one and the tracks that have played before the current one.

But I don't have a player handy to test.

#266564 - 04/10/2005 04:28 Re: Cancel while thinking... [Re: JBjorgen]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
I was under the impression that the re-shuffled playlist order isn't necessarily the same

Correct. This is the intended behaviour. So, it's not the same list, but it shouldn't have any repeats in it.

#266565 - 08/10/2005 14:56 Re: Cancel while thinking... [Re: Roger]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Wow, I never noticed that. Maybe it's all in my head; 300 songs into a playlist, unshuffle, reshuffle, and I start thinking I've heard many of the songs before. Haha, I've avoided this for a while because the further I get into a playlist, the more cautious I get when switching info modes to avoid unshuffling. "Steady now.... easy does it.... down, right, RIGHT, down."

#266566 - 08/10/2005 15:57 Re: Cancel while thinking... [Re: FireFox31]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Well, if you're really paranoid, just do the "least recently played" shuffle mode.