Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#256683 - 23/05/2005 16:27 The good of the community...
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I've seen a lot of posts lately about how things "aren't the same anymore" around here. A lot of depressing statements have been made about how people aren't as friendly or how our numbers are declining. "Well good!" I say!

I for one prefer the community we have now to what we had years ago. I still "lurk" and visit the page at least 20 times a day looking for new posts. Sure, there aren't as many new posts, but that actually makes it easier for me to keep up. And if you do a search for the REALLY old threads, as a group, we were a lot less empowered with our empegs. We had no Hijack, no way to update logos on the player, no way to download mp3s or backup content. Repairs involved expensive shipments to the UK. We were flooded with rude RioCar owners who paid $200 for a $1200 player and were pissed off that their cable needed replacing.

And yeah, it's tempting to say "lots of new software isn't the same thing as a friendly community" but we wouldn't have any of that software if it WEREN'T for the community. The empeg guys would have quit doing releases if people weren't interested (and knowledgeable enough to do beta testing) and going to meets. I assume HiJack did all that Mark Lord wanted it to do about 200 versions ago, but he kept adding features as people suggested them. Jemplode would have never evolved nor would Palantir been created.

Heck, even the guys from empeg didn't offer any solutions when some of us hit a wall by having too many mp3s. But just a few months ago, someone made a script that let me fix my player in about 5 minutes.

And those updates are still happening. We have someone making kick butt animations for our boot logos, someone FINALLY about to make a button kit. Memory cards coming. And the fact that these things are coming to a community that is 1/2 the size it used to be actually means more than it would have years ago. A person would have more of an incentive to make a button kit when the costs could be spread out across a larger base.

And there is true "community" happening too. Just last summer, in the heat of all that election muck, a fellow board member was VERY kind enough to drive to someone's house, pick up some speakers (big) I bought off of eBay then drive to the UPS store and have them boxed up and shipped to me. Just a month ago, I had several people suggest meeting up with me, the Off Topic whiner (as some have said), for coffee as I was in town for a concert (unfortunately, my living arrangments during my stay prevented any time to do this). I even get about 1 email every two months asking for tips on putting an empeg into a WRX. I imagine all of us have stories of kind things we have all experienced or done that wasn't visible on the BBS, but was a result of it.

I even got better advice here than on any Tivo board on how to hack my Tivo! Loren even burned a few CDs for me and mailed them to me for free! Another member and I have mailed eachother empeg stickers, Netgear switches, you name it. And they weren't even trades - it was just a matter of each one of us having stuff we knew someone else could get more use out of. All within the last few months.

I'll take empegbbs.com the way it is thank you!

#256684 - 23/05/2005 17:07 Re: The good of the community... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
I am not about to compare 'now vs. then', however I have recieved much information, and help (as well as a few friendly jabs along the way) from members of the board. Sending someone something I have that I have no use for and they do, is not only the right thing to do, but I know how excited I get when someone sends me something that I was not expecting. Yeah, I'm not expecting to get an Empeg bag sent to me, but I have mailed off some memory, drives, switches and, yes even a couple of remotes (one was a trade however)
Anyone else need a switch? Ha.

#256685 - 23/05/2005 17:32 Re: The good of the community... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
eliceo
enthusiast

I bought my first mk2a after the firesale. Since then I bought two more empegs and convinced some friends to buy them too. Some of us have not contributed anything, but we have spread the empeg around to our friends. That way they end up in the hands of people who really enjoy music and can appreciate them.

In the time ive been here this board has changed, it isnt good or bad, but these things happen. I have learned a lot about audio stuff (not to mention other things I would have never been exposed ) if it wasnt for this bbs. Most of us are very grateful for the empeg and all the contributions others have made to it.

I have a new car to install the empeg into ( its a wrx so brad I may harass you about your install) .

#256686 - 23/05/2005 18:34 Re: The good of the community... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I hadn't really noticed anything other than hugo and rob don't post too much anymore.

Matt

#256687 - 23/05/2005 19:07 Re: The good of the community... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Yes, maybe this is a good time for us all to reflect on why we are here on this bbs.

I personally feel I am quite a selfish member of this community, I do take more than I give. I have tried to give as much input as I can on topics I have experience in, but I mainly lurk in the background.

More than the online relationships I have made with people it's the real life ones that matter to me. This is the only online community I have ever met anyone from in real life, other places on the net seem to full of one type of person ( I think you know what I am getting at here ) but I have found fellow empeggers to be on the whole welcoming and fun to be around. boxer has introduced so many different ways of looking at things that have lead me down many many different paths of beer and music sampling, without him I would have never figured out I don't really like beer and I am a cider man, and not all country music sucks as I quite like Alison Krauss.

andym was silly enough to introduce me to Nicola at the last Euro meet, and we are still very happy together to this day (see cheesy attachment), he also makes good company to discuss the many projects we both seem to have in our brains but never get the time to do anything about, most of my other mates start falling asleep at that point of the bbq

I was lucky enough to get a bed at Hotel Julf last summer before the meet, and shared some "interesting" times wandering around Amsterdam with a few well know empeggers All this amoungst numerous offers of help from all sorts of people about all sorts of things.

All these things go to prove I would have been a lesser person if not for the things I have learned here (Three Cheers for Tom!). And I have still got a neat box of tricks that still comes out on long trips, and still wows even after all these years.

But like in any community there is a pecking order, I am at the bottom, others are at the top. And naturally there becomes a time when people start to rub each other up the wrong way. There have been several times recently where I have had to bite my lip really hard to stop myself saying things I might later wish I hadn't.

But isn't this what makes a community interesting, why do we all have to get on all of the time?

We (Nicola and I) have made the decision not to come to the EuroMeet this year, we have a long trip to make to Malaga and back and feel its too far out of the way. We had planned to drop in for Ribs on the way down, but I think that will push the smart that little too far this time around.

So to sum up, I don't think the bbs is dead yet, we are just in a transition period, out with the old and in with the new, the empeg with become less and less a focus for our community, so lets go find something else to get all geeky about...

Cheers

Cris.

Attachments
256277-IMG_2555.jpg (188 downloads)

#256688 - 23/05/2005 20:22 Re: The good of the community... [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I can't really add anything more than Cris has said but I too have witnessed incidents that have made me cringe. One recently which involved a new member asking a perfectly reasonable question and getting berated by someone who really should've known better. To add insult to injury another, even more senior member of the board then asks people to go easy on him even though he was one who kicked off without provocation.

I've met some very interesting people on here, I remember traveling to Amersfoort in 2003 with my friend Steve seriously wondering whether I'd made the right decision to meet a load of people who I’d only ever conversed with on the ‘net. My work colleagues couldn’t understand it, my girlfriend certainly didn’t understand, that is, until she attended the following year and saw that it wasn’t a total out-and-out geek fest but really a chance for some like-minded individuals to get together and enjoy themselves.

I think the forum still has life in it. But nothing ever lasts forever and I’m sure there will come a time when this forum doesn’t exist, but life will go on.

Andy M

#256689 - 23/05/2005 20:23 Re: The good of the community... [Re: Cris]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I stumbled across the empeg years back (mk1) and decided I wanted one even though I didn't have a car! But in no way could I afford it. Then one Christmas Eve I made my weekly visit to www.empeg.com to gaze at my dream toy and saw the silly low price - unfortunately I was way way too late and after several emails to David/Rob I was pointed to the bbs and bought one for £450 (I still had no car).

I'm a lurker. I post nonsense. I have no real skills/info to pass on thats useful but I still try here and there. I get a real sense of trust on the board both Paul G and Rob R have done favours for me and I really appreciate the sense of community that I don't get anywhere else on the web. I love it

#256690 - 23/05/2005 20:27 Re: The good of the community... [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Ah yes Paul G. That mans generosity knows no bounds

Andy M

#256691 - 23/05/2005 20:30 Re: The good of the community... [Re: andym]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Agreed - he needs some kind of trophy for the stuff he does And thats the thing about this bbs, everyone seems really genuine and don't do things for personal gain). I really hope to be able to return some of the favours one day.

#256692 - 23/05/2005 20:49 Re: The good of the community... [Re: andym]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
And just when I thought it might be safe to come back.

Piss off, Andy!

We had one relative newbie ask for help without any info, get an answer from Tony, repost still without much info, and then I simply said for him to either provide more info or fix the problem himself. He gave more info, and I (and others) helped him considerably.

And for that, I CONTINUE to get nothing but snide side comments from PEOPLE WHO REALLY SHOULD KNOW BETTER. People who use Hijack.. and some who may not be able to use newer versions of it in the future.

Enough, alright?

#256693 - 23/05/2005 21:26 Re: The good of the community... [Re: mlord]
Cris
pooh-bah

Nice grown up argument Mark, well done. Smacks a little of the school yard, but if that's the way you want to play it. I think andym is right to voice his opinion, I tend to agree, I was trying to be positive but its getting harder.

Your tone seems a little unlike your usual helpful self, anything up ???

Anyway, if the future use of Hijack is on the condition that I have to agree with everything you say and not upset anyone then I'm off to remove it right now, doesn't really bother me, I'm only a light user.

And yes, everyone please feel free to ignore me in future, flame away, I know how much Mark has done for the empeg, and I am truly thankful, but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion without feeling guilty.

Cheers

Cris.

#256694 - 23/05/2005 21:35 Re: The good of the community... [Re: andym]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:
..I too have witnessed incidents that have made me cringe. One recently which involved a..

This isn't really the place to be dragging things through the mud again for the 100th time. In fact, if it wasn't for the thread you're talking about, and the length to which it got out of hand, I wouldn't have seen the need to write my original post.

There are old arguments I've had with my wife where I still think "she has it wrong" but I've let the matter die because not only are we unlikely to agree even now, but the matter is insignificant because my love for her out weighs the importance I give to the topic we disagree about. Same here. I might still feel the same way I did in some of those political threads, but my overall feelings for the members here and the BBS in general convinced me to "just drop it". There was no need to be "on the record" for the millionth time about how I felt or viewed something.

#256695 - 23/05/2005 21:39 Re: The good of the community... [Re: Cris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Anyway, if the future use of Hijack is on the condition that I have to agree with everything you say

Disagreeing with someone is a little different than name calling and bringing a topic up again and again and again.

Mark is allowed to defend himself, I just don't think this is the place for any of this.

#256696 - 23/05/2005 21:45 Re: The good of the community... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Cris
pooh-bah

Quote:
...name calling...

Sorry, I don't understand, who is doing the name calling ?

Cheers

Cris.

#256697 - 23/05/2005 21:55 Re: The good of the community... [Re: Cris]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Damn does everyone hate Mark now or what. I had not read the technical forum for a while but after I saw this thread I wanted to figure out what Brad was talking about and found the thread that started this.

While what Mark posted wasn't all that friendly it didn't sound any worse than the go read the faq responses by various people on here.

I think this is being taken way too seriously.

Matt

#256698 - 23/05/2005 22:05 Re: The good of the community... [Re: msaeger]
Cris
pooh-bah

I'm sorry, who said anything about anyone hating Mark? I certainly don't! I don't think anyone does do they ???

You won't hear one bad word against anyone I have met on this bbs, I have fond memories of wondering around Amsterdam with Mark and others, it was a very nice introduction into the secret world of Geocaching in fact.

Sure there are quite a few people on here that I wouldn't want to share a bed with but no one is hating anyone here !!!

Cheers

Cris.

#256699 - 23/05/2005 22:06 Re: The good of the community... [Re: msaeger]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
C'mon guys, just let it go. Shake hands and smile

MKI #017/90

whatever

#256700 - 23/05/2005 22:17 Re: The good of the community... [Re: msaeger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Damn does everyone hate Mark now or what.

I certainly don't.

Mark has singlehandedly done so much for the empeg and the community that he could say anything and I'd still be entirely in his debt and completely grateful. He could tell me to take a flying leap and I'd ask him off which cliff.

I'm having real trouble seeing where any animosity is coming from. I just don't get it. As far as I know, we've been a friendly and helpful community all along, and I really didn't see any changes happening. The way some people are talking, it's like something happened while I wasn't looking and I just don't understand it.

Mark, you are appreciated. We are in your debt. I don't know or understand what's going on, but please don't let anyone scare you off.

#256701 - 23/05/2005 23:42 Re: The good of the community... [Re: tfabris]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
But without you volunteering more info.. fix it yourself.

This sentence, to me, indicates that Mark is willing to help if the original poster gives more info. Am I wrong? Actually, I am! Let's look at the first part of that exact post.

Quote:
You really ought to be more forthcoming with information.

Even just telling us that the "no_memory error" text was surrounded by a box outline would have told volumes here.

If you want help, you've gotta provide info!!

Now, in this case, the "no_memory" message is courtesy of Hijack, telling us that the software on your machine has run out of memory. This means it probably boots up fine and gets to the point where it is playing music, or about to play music. Then it dies. Most likely due to a corrupt MP3 file or corrupt playlist.

That's called help people!

I think I've been to every meet Mark has attended, so maybe I know his personality better than most people here. But, if he said that last part to someone in person, it wouldn't have left the room in stunned silence. It's a jab, but it's not meant to hurt anyone's feelings. MRB, the original poster, may have taken it the wrong way, but that's between him and Mark. I was reading that thread initially as each post was made, and I didn't feel like Mark was out of line. Some people are blowing that "do it yourself" comment way out of proportion.

#256702 - 24/05/2005 01:23 Re: The good of the community... [Re: robricc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
But, if he said that last part to someone in person, it wouldn't have left the room in stunned silence. It's a jab, but it's not meant to hurt anyone's feelings.

Ah, so you're it's simply a question of someone poking a little fun, but the tone being misinterpreted? Yeah, I've seen that sort of thing happen all the time on the 'net. It's so hard to convey any kind of "tone" in print, even with emoticons.

#256703 - 24/05/2005 01:27 Re: The good of the community... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Well, at the risk of pissing everyone off...everyone...GET OVER IT!!!! I mean, there was less discussion over the Bush/Gore election...Hey! If we can find a bunch of 'chad'ed cards, we could throw them at each other, and the one with the less papercuts wins! Sounds absurde? It sure does to me also!
Mark, you're a great guy, and I can take what ever anyone wants to dish out. You seem to hold your own pretty well, but I won't kiss anyone one the lips for hardware (unless it is really, really cool...or maybe a peck on the cheek for an empeg bag, and not that homemade one (paper sack)!

So how about we all start acting about 2 years older than my 4 year old grandson and talk about something serious...like Jack Bauer, and the season finale of '24'!

Hugs and kisses....
ladmo

#256704 - 24/05/2005 01:30 Re: The good of the community... [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Yeah, I've seen that sort of thing happen all the time on the 'net. It's so hard to convey any kind of "tone" in print, even with emoticons.

Stop it Tony! You're reminding me of a few horrible experiences with Instant Messaging that I've had in the past!

I swear, someone should make a long distance telephone commercial that includes one of these Instant Messanger conversations FROM HELL then fades to black with a voice saying, "The last 45 minutes you've just spent explaining 'what you really meant' would have taken 45 seconds over the phone. You'll never get those 45 minutes back."

#256705 - 24/05/2005 01:36 Re: The good of the community... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
drakino
carpal tunnel

This is the only post I'm going to make on this subject.

This community exists due to the people here, plain and simple. Many of the regulars here have met at least one other person at this point in the community. Why this issue is becoming personal is beyond me, expecially with the general good times that are had at the meets. At times I am suprised at some things here, but in most cases any major incident has blown over quickly as it should. But for some reason, several words strung togther earlier this month touched off something odd. I got broadsided a bit at E3 by another user expressing concern for the well being of this place. And it has taken me a bit of digging today to find where it came from. Theres a few threads now scattered across a few sections (some I haven't checked in over a month), and one reoccuring theme is present. People aren't letting this issue go.

Honestly, if people here want the community to die, then it will happen. The more negative things brought here will hamper the situation, and find ways to push more people away. And the opposite applies as well. If we act in a positive method, it will help to improve the general additude of the community as a whole, and keep things going longer.

For the sake of the community, please just drop whatever it is that caused the recent issue. I'm still confused by it, but at this point, I see no reason to keep digging into it after three weeks.

In closing, we are still seeing new users sign up here. Keeping the community in a shape that represents the way things were is a good thing. We all were new here long ago, and I'd hope we have the capability to not scare off the newer users joining us now 6 years after this board went live.

#256706 - 24/05/2005 02:35 Re: The good of the community... [Re: drakino]
ineedcolor
addict

Loc: Windsor, Ontario Canada
Hello All

As everyone probably knows, I've been more of a lurker here than a contributor in the recent past...but I still continue to visit every day after almost five years as a member.

With all of the BBS's I am a member of (7), this one continues to be the most civil, most productive and most open and friendly that I frequent. I have noticed a somewhat negative element appearing recently however I attribute that to evolution of the board and the broader membership it has attracted. I feel that in the end, the community will continue evolve and be stronger for it.

(and if this post appears rambling and not pertinent, I've had a few rum-and-cokes tonight )

#256707 - 24/05/2005 02:38 Re: The good of the community... [Re: drakino]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
For the sake of the community, please just drop whatever it is that caused the recent issue. I'm still confused by it, but at this point, I see no reason to keep digging into it after three weeks.

Geez, go to sleep for 3 weeks and wake up with no clue.

#256709 - 24/05/2005 06:31 Re: The good of the community... [Re: ]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

When did YOU reappear? lol I thought you were exiled??

#256711 - 24/05/2005 06:36 Re: The good of the community... [Re: ]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Any new guns?

#256713 - 24/05/2005 06:41 Re: The good of the community... [Re: ]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Ssssssh

#256714 - 24/05/2005 08:04 Re: The good of the community... [Re: ]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Quote:
I was banned about a year ago for spamming the forum. But those days are gone now

You were banned (involving law enforcement) for something a bit more serious than just that.

Quote:
so hopefully that's just water under the bridge...

Drakino's call, but I think it's safe to say that it isn't!

Rob

#256715 - 24/05/2005 08:09 Re: The good of the community... [Re: msaeger]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Quote:
I hadn't really noticed anything other than hugo and rob don't post too much anymore.

Actually we post a lot in the private break away community that you guys aren't allowed to know about!

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >