Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#220422 - 16/11/2001 11:08 Receiver doesn't cope well with network loss
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
I have trouble maintaining a reliable HPNA network on my lines. For some reason, and only in the evenings, I will lose connectivity for a few seconds and then it will come back. At it's worst, this will happen once or twice a minute. I know about the network loss because Windows pops up an obnoxious icon and text balloon in my system tray when it happens.

Sometimes the receiver survives this blip, sometimes it doesn't. Unfortunately, when it does fail, it fails badly and requires me to power cycle it. This is rather annoying since the box doesn't have a real power switch and I have to get behind it and unplug the power cable.

-Dylan

#220423 - 16/11/2001 11:17 Re: Receiver doesn't cope well with network loss [Re: Dylan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I had trouble with my HPNA lines because I had too many "splices and devices" on it. It was fine if I wired it directly to the receiver with only a couple of other things on the line. But when I started adding other phones, modems, and fax machines, each with its own splice, the reliability of the HPNA went down.

I eventually just bit the bullet and ran real ethernet to the receiver.

One note about the power switch:

Even though it doesn't have a real power switch, if you pound on the "power" button on the front panel several times quickly, the Receiver will perform a full cold reboot, just as if it had been actually power-cycled. This nifty little feature has saved me a lot of painful reaching and pulling when I was debugging network problems.

#220424 - 16/11/2001 11:31 Re: Receiver doesn't cope well with network loss [Re: tfabris]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
I've probably got similar problems with my phone line. My house is 50 years old and my internal wiring is a mix of the original and the half-assed job the prior owner did in wiring some of the rooms with 4 lines.

Ugh. I do not feel like running ethernet. I would have to bring up into the attic and back down. I already run a 802.11b network. I know that at least one of the cheaper access points can be used as a bridge. I'd probably be inclined to do that first. Maybe if the access point drops to $99. Then it falls into impulse buy range. Although I only paid $150 for the receiver in the first place.

Thanks for the tip about the power button. That will save me some aggrevation.

-Dylan

#220425 - 17/11/2001 03:19 Re: Receiver doesn't cope well with network loss [Re: Dylan]
mardibloke
addict

Loc: Penarth, UK
I'm running wireless to my Dell Recievers, works just fine. I needed "Ethernet Converter boxes" to pop the Wireless cards in though, so the costs increase.

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 64gig Red S/N.341 Empeg 2xDigital Audio Receiver - one Wireless

#220426 - 17/11/2001 05:26 Re: Receiver doesn't cope well with network loss [Re: Dylan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Just jab the power button a couple of times, in quick succession -- it should force a hard reboot.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#220427 - 17/11/2001 16:20 Re: Receiver doesn't cope well with network loss [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Um, yeah, I said that...