Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#209127 - 12/03/2004 21:24 Cloning With Jemplode 54
JeffreyB
stranger

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
I can't for the life of me figure out how to clone two players using Jemplode 54. I've opened the 1st player, then I choose "Open Another Device" and open the 2nd player. Drag & Drop, nor Cut/Copy & Paste do anything, nothing... This can't be this broken, so it must be something stupid I'm doing. Help!!!

#209128 - 13/03/2004 09:41 Re: Cloning With Jemplode 54 [Re: JeffreyB]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Well, for starters, drag and drop doesn't work at all in Jemplode, so it must be copy and paste. Your version number *seems* correct, is it the latest Jar from the inzyme site?

You should, in theory, be able to right click on a playlist, select copy, then right click on a parent playlist on the other device and select paste. It should just work.

Maybe it only works on playlists and you're trying to do it in the soup?

#209129 - 14/03/2004 12:40 Re: Cloning With Jemplode 54 [Re: tfabris]
JeffreyB
stranger

Ok, Yes it is the version from inzyme. I open the 1st player, then select "Open Another Device" and open the 2nd. I have 2 separate windows. I go to the first and tried copy from the pull down, I also tried copy from the right click menu, and I've tried CTL-C, and I've tried the copy icon. I then go to the 2nd unit's window and try PASTE from the pull down, or the right click, or the PASTE icon, or CTL-V. Nothing happens, nothing gets copied into the 2nd players window. I tried copying from the very top menu which is called "Jeff's Empeg", also from "All Music", also from "Artists", and from "Albums", Years", and finally from "All". Nothing will ever paste into the 2nd window. Unless I'm totally stupid, I think it doesn't work. Would FTPing be the way to go? I really don't have time to deal with learning Linux commands (don't flame me!). The problem with FTPing is the extra step of saving onto a PC and then transferring back to the 2nd unit. This 2 step method will take over 35 hours! It would be nice to have a way from within Windows to transfer directly from one unit to the other which is what I thought Jemplode would do...

#209130 - 14/03/2004 18:33 Re: Cloning With Jemplode 54 [Re: JeffreyB]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
Did you select a playlist on the 2nd device before you pasted? I don't think you can paste without selecting a target playlist first. That's the only thing I can think of offhand -- I don't know why else it wouldn't work. Can you run jemplode from the commandline? (java -jar jemplode.jar) and see if an error prints out on the console after you attempt the paste and post it up here if you get anything?

#209131 - 14/03/2004 19:41 Re: Cloning With Jemplode 54 [Re: mschrag]
JeffreyB
stranger

Yes, I selected a playlist on the 2nd unit before pasting. I ran it from the command line as you suggested and got results below. Just a note, when copying in one window and pasting in the other, no info appeared in the command window, so I'm guessing there were no errors.

Jeff

C:\PROGRA~1\JEMPLODE>java -jar jemplode.jar
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/comm/CommPort
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.discovery.SerialEmpegDiscoverer.startDiscov
ery0(SerialEmpegDiscoverer.java:50)
at org.jempeg.protocol.discovery.AbstractDiscoverer.startDiscovery(Abstr
actDiscoverer.java:45)
at org.jempeg.protocol.discovery.CompoundDiscoverer$1.run(CompoundDiscov
erer.java:50)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
You do not have jEmplode.dll installed somewhere in your PATH. USB support will
not work until you do.
Unable to open connection to device. caused by:
org.jempeg.protocol.ConnectionException: Failed to connect to the specified devi
ce. Please verify the device's IP address.
at org.jempeg.protocol.SocketConnection.open(SocketConnection.java:148)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.EmpegProtocolClient.open(EmpegProtocolClien
t.java:359)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.EmpegProtocolClient.open0(EmpegProtocolClie
nt.java:1068)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.EmpegProtocolClient.readFID(EmpegProtocolCl
ient.java:490)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.EmpegProtocolClient.readFIDToMemory(EmpegPr
otocolClient.java:421)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.EmpegProtocolClient.getPlayerType(EmpegProt
ocolClient.java:1082)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.EmpegSynchronizeClient.<init>(EmpegSynchron
izeClient.java:41)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.discovery.UnicastNetworkEmpegDiscoverer.sta
rtDiscovery0(UnicastNetworkEmpegDiscoverer.java:46)

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/comm/CommPort
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.discovery.SerialEmpegDiscoverer.startDiscov
ery0(SerialEmpegDiscoverer.java:50)
Unable to open connection to device. caused by:
org.jempeg.protocol.ConnectionException: Failed to connect to the specified devi
ce. Please verify the device's IP address.
at org.jempeg.protocol.SocketConnection.open(SocketConnection.java:148)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.EmpegProtocolClient.open(EmpegProtocolClien
t.java:359)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.EmpegProtocolClient.open0(EmpegProtocolClie
nt.java:1068)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.EmpegProtocolClient.readFID(EmpegProtocolCl
ient.java:490)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.EmpegProtocolClient.readFIDToMemory(EmpegPr
otocolClient.java:421)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.EmpegProtocolClient.getPlayerType(EmpegProt
ocolClient.java:1082)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.EmpegSynchronizeClient.<init>(EmpegSynchron
izeClient.java:41)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.discovery.UnicastNetworkEmpegDiscoverer.sta
rtDiscovery0(UnicastNetworkEmpegDiscoverer.java:46)

C:\PROGRA~1\JEMPLODE>

Edited by JeffreyB (14/03/2004 20:34)

#209132 - 16/03/2004 01:02 Re: Cloning With Jemplode 54 [Re: mschrag]
JeffreyB
stranger

Hummm... I saw another thread discussing RIDS. Do I need to have RIDS generated for the copy/paste to work between two Empegs???

Jeff

#209133 - 16/03/2004 01:49 Re: Cloning With Jemplode 54 [Re: JeffreyB]
JeffreyB
stranger

OK, now I'm totally lost... I've tried copying and pasting tunes from my PC (running XP) and that doesn't work either. I select a song from my PC, do a windows copy command (CTRL-C), go to the Jemplode screen and try to paste it with the paste button, or from the menu. Nothin... I went back to version 45 and the only way I can add tunes is to drag and drop (drag from Windows directory and drop on playlist in Jemplode window). What the hell am I doing wrong here? The whole copy and paste thing isn't working. Or am I that stupid...

Jeff

#209134 - 16/03/2004 07:04 Re: Cloning With Jemplode 54 [Re: JeffreyB]
mschrag
pooh-bah

This is actually slightly different (and I've added a wishlist item for you) -- Copy/Paste only works within jEmplode. it's not using the real windows clipboard (to support older versions of Java, I can't use the clipboard reliably for what I need to do). So you can't Ctrl-C in windows and Ctrl-V in jEmplode. You either have to drag and drop or you have to do "New Tune ..." or "New Tune Directory ..." from the menus.

#209135 - 16/03/2004 07:11 Re: Cloning With Jemplode 54 [Re: JeffreyB]
mschrag
pooh-bah

This is actually quite possible ... I don't know exactly what it will do if you don't have RID's. If you want, you can grab riorid from rmml.dev.java.net's "Other Files" section and run it on your Empeg to generate RID's for all your tunes.

ms

#209136 - 16/03/2004 08:14 Re: Cloning With Jemplode 54 [Re: mschrag]
JeffreyB
stranger

Wow, I didn't expect that answer. No where have I read that you have to use "New Tune", or "New Tune Directory" to get songs into Jemplode. I didn't even know what those function did exactly. And I was told drag and drop didn't work. Everything I've read mentions using copy/paste, so I reasoned that holds true for copy/pasting from a windows directory. How does this work for having two Jemplodes running? One for each player? I can't get the copy and paste to work between those two windows either.

Jeff

#209137 - 16/03/2004 08:24 Re: Cloning With Jemplode 54 [Re: JeffreyB]
mschrag
pooh-bah

I never liked those menu item names ... I may rename them to the "Transfer Tunes ..." terms from Rio Music Manager Lite.

So this is big of a tangled mess, but DnD works from Windows<=>jEmplode, but not from jEmplode<=>jEmplode. Copy-and-Paste works from jEmplode<=>jEmplode, but not Windows<=>jEmplode. I received a patch to add DnD internally in jEmplode, but I haven't applied it yet because I just haven't taken the time to review how it will affect Rio Music Manager Lite (which has a shared codebase with jEmplodes).

You should have been able to Copy-Paste between two jEmplodes. Technically, when you open that second window, it's actually still a single jEmplode process that is sharing a common clipboard.

ms

#209138 - 16/03/2004 11:44 Re: Cloning With Jemplode 54 [Re: JeffreyB]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
And I was told drag and drop didn't work.
Drag and drop between two windows in Jemplode does not yet work. Drag and drop from the Microsoft Explorer onto Jemplode does work.

#209139 - 16/03/2004 12:51 Re: Cloning With Jemplode 54 [Re: mschrag]
brendanhoar
enthusiast

> You should have been able to Copy-Paste between two
> jEmplodes. Technically, when you open that second
> window, it's actually still a single jEmplode process that is
> sharing a common clipboard.

I think this depends upon how you opened the 2nd instance of jEmplode, yes? If opened from the first instance, it's the same process. If by double-clicking in explorer, it might be a totally different process?

-brendan

#209140 - 16/03/2004 12:56 Re: Cloning With Jemplode 54 [Re: brendanhoar]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Literally launching a second process from explorer will be a second process and copy-and-paste will NOT work. When I refered to the second window, I meant as launchde from the Open New Device ... menu item.

#209141 - 16/03/2004 13:15 Re: Cloning With Jemplode 54 [Re: mschrag]
JeffreyB
stranger

I was using the "Open New Device". No such luck copying and pasting between the two windows. I'll try it on another system I have just to make sure my java isn't hosed on my main system...\

Jeff