Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#20578 - 20/10/2000 23:54 Re: 1.1 Released [Re: tfabris]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Win98SE with complete Office and DevStudio, works like a charm!

Happy to see that you solved the rebooting problem too.

#20579 - 21/10/2000 03:16 Re: 1.1 Released [Re: mtempsch]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Working perfectly in Win2KSP1 with Visual Studio 6SP3.

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...

#20580 - 21/10/2000 07:43 Re: 1.1 Released [Re: mtempsch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Ah, good glad it's working for you.

I discovered a problem on my Win98 box at home, where strange things happen with cutting and pasting in 16-bit color mode. Works fine in 24-bit color, and works fine in 16-bit on my NT box at work. Now we hit the problem with VB: If you're using their built-in functions because it's easy to do it that way, you have no recourse when those built-in functions have bugs. (grrr.) I'll play with it next week and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

Happy to see that you solved the rebooting problem too.

Only half way. It reboots nicely after a flash, but I still want to make it reboot before a flash so you don't have to yank the power at all. It turns out that one is a whole lot more complicated than the other.

#20581 - 21/10/2000 07:47 Re: 1.1 Released [Re: andy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Thanks for testing it for me, guys! Glad to know it's doing well out there in the real world.

Now let's see some more logos posted to Drakino's Logo Site, eh?

#20582 - 21/10/2000 08:44 Re: 1.1 Released [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I've tried that before. There is a problem in that Drakino's site doesn't seem to like the BMP files that I generate from the logo editor (even if I re-save them in Photoshop afterwards).

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...

#20583 - 21/10/2000 22:14 Re: 1.1 Released [Re: andy]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I've tried that before. There is a problem in that Drakino's site doesn't seem to like the BMP files that I generate from the logo editor (even if I re-save them in Photoshop afterwards).

Thats one thing I need to talk to you about Tony. Several logos have been uploaded lately that come though in a format that only MS Paint can open. My copy of Photoshop 5.5 chokes on most, and the Linux converter I use in the backend chokes on all of them it seems. I still have some testing of my own to do on this.

Basicially, if you upload an image, then go back to the members page and see a broken image icon, something failed in the backend, and I may not be able to fix it manually. (I'm going through some now and manually creating the gifs.)

#20584 - 23/10/2000 10:08 Re: 1.1 Released [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Thats one thing I need to talk to you about Tony. Several logos have been uploaded lately that come though in a format that only MS Paint can open.

I know very little about the actual file format of the BMP files. One of the reasons I was able to get my logo editor done so easily is because Visual Basic handles all the BMP import/export stuff natively and I don't need to muck about with the bits of the image or its header. So I might not be much help.

But here are a few possible guesses, let me know if these are helpful:

- Is it a color depth/palette problem? Probably not since you said Photoshop chokes on them as well, and it should handle any palette or color depth.

- Are these files accidentally RLE compressed? "Run Length Encoding compression" is a save option in some paint applications. Just for the heck of it, try renaming one of these files to *.RLE before trying to open them in photoshop.

- Are these files accidentally saved in OS/2 bitmap format? This is different from the Windows bitmap format, but carries the same file extension.

- Are these files saved as DIB bitmaps instead of regular bitmaps? I think that DIB (Device Independent Bitmap) is a different format than the standard BMP.

#20585 - 23/10/2000 18:15 Re: Empeg Logo Editor 1.0 [Re: tfabris]
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
In LogoEditor 1.1 is there anyway to seperately load into LogoEditor car and home from an existing file?
When I load a .bin file (obtained from website created by someonelse) it loads into both car & home windows, when I load my own .bin creation files it only loads into the top window (home), but switches the car logo back to default. When trying to import in .bmp I get a {Error 481 occuring in import routine}.
Copying and pasting only seems to blank the screen white.
Any suggestions?

#090000695 Mk2 BLUE 12Gig

#20586 - 23/10/2000 18:43 Re: Empeg Logo Editor 1.0 [Re: jwickis]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

is there anyway to seperately load into LogoEditor car and home from an existing file?

Yes, if the file is an uncompressed Windows Bitmap file. I haven't implemented separate loading and saving of two images in the .bin file format, since Empeg's kernel doesn't support partial images. If you want to work with the two pictures separately, you have to use bitmaps for that.

You can also do the loading and saving from a third-party application such as Paint Shop Pro or Windows Paint, then copy and paste into/out of the logo editor.

when I load my own .bin creation files it only loads into the top window (home)

Sounds like your own .bin creation files aren't complete- they only contain the first half of the file. Interesting- I'd never tried files in that format, I thought my program would crash if you did that. Glad to know it handles it gracefully.

When trying to import in .bmp I get a {Error 481 occuring in import routine}.

This is interesting, it should not happen. Are you sure the file you're opening is an uncompressed Windows Bitmap file? For instance, you're not trying to import a .BIN file as if it were a bitmap, are you? Or trying to open a GIF or JPG? Remember, renaming the file doesn't magically make it a different kind of file.

In order to open a bitmap file, it needs to be:
- In the Windows Bitmap BMP format.
- Not data-compressed, such as the RLE format.
- Not the OS/2 bitmap format.

If the bitmap really matches those criteria and Logoedit still chokes on it, please post a message here in this thread, and attach the offending file. I'll then check it out and see why it won't open for you.

Copying and pasting only seems to blank the screen white.

This may be related to a bug I experienced after porting the app from VB3 to VB6. Try setting your desktop to 24-bit color or 32-bit color and see if it makes that problem go away. You should be able to copy from the home image (ctrl-C) and paste to the car image (ctrl-F) and it should work. You should also be able to copy and paste from Windows Paint. Let me know how you do.

#20587 - 23/10/2000 20:18 Re: Empeg Logo Editor 1.0 [Re: tfabris]
jwickis
addict

In reply to:

When trying to import in .bmp I get a {Error 481 occuring in import routine}.

Well the .bmp's were made from within LogoEditor. I guess I did try to magically change them. I saved the originals as .bmp's thru {save as}, works with NG movie and picture files I guess I figured it would here.

In reply to:

Are you sure the file you're opening is an uncompressed Windows Bitmap file? For instance, you're not trying to import a .BIN file as if it were a bitmap, are you?

No, when importing I'm using the original file.

In reply to:

Try setting your desktop to 24-bit color or 32-bit color and see if it makes that problem go away.

At the time it was set at 16bit. Now it is at 24bit, my own created w/PSP3 .bmp's work, first import to car works second import to home works. I can import them seperately.
Let me ask you this, when trying to open the LogoEditor created .bmp's in PSP3 it does show that they aren't a valid BMP/DIB/RLE file.

#20588 - 23/10/2000 21:03 Re: Empeg Logo Editor 1.0 [Re: jwickis]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Well the .bmp's were made from within LogoEditor. I guess I did try to magically change them. I saved the originals as .bmp's thru {save as}, works with NG movie and picture files I guess I figured it would here.

Heh, yeah, that's the issue. Save As only works with BIN files. If you want to save a BMP then you say export to BMP instead of Save As and it should all work.

I guess I'll implement a check to make sure the user didn't change the file extension.

Let me ask you this, when trying to open the LogoEditor created .bmp's in PSP3 it does show that they aren't a valid BMP/DIB/RLE file.

If you said "Save As" when you made the file, then it's telling you the truth: Save As makes BIN files, not BMP files. If you used the Export to BMP feature, then it's probably just that PSP3 is an old program and you need a more recent version. My PSP version 5 doesn't complain about the files.

#20589 - 23/10/2000 22:48 Re: 1.1 Released [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

In reply to:

Basicially, if you upload an image, then go back to the members page and see a broken image icon, something failed in the backend, and I may not be able to fix it manually. (I'm going through some now and manually creating the gifs.)

Well, I changed the backend to now try and convert the BMP files, and if it fails, it then runs it through a less efficient one, but it seems to get the job done. Should virtually elliminate any problems with legitimate files getting the broken image treatment. Now to get back to adding new features to the site again.

#20590 - 24/10/2000 08:57 Re: Empeg Logo Editor 1.0 [Re: tfabris]
Alan

Loc: Cedar Grove , IN
Great job on the logo editor Tony. Now if it could upload the logo to overwrite the logo that's in the visualization selection that would be even better. I have read some where about visualizations running as plug-ins in the future but who knows when that will happen.

Alan

#20591 - 24/10/2000 09:34 Re: Empeg Logo Editor 1.0 [Re: Alan]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I have read some where about visualizations running as plug-ins in the future but who knows when that will happen.

I guess Toby knows, as he's working on the code for that at the moment.

Rob

#20592 - 24/10/2000 10:43 Re: Empeg Logo Editor 1.0 [Re: rob]
Alan

Loc: Cedar Grove , IN
Rob, thanks for the update. Are there any more features being worked on that you can tell us about?

Alan

#20593 - 24/10/2000 19:03 Re: Empeg Logo Editor 1.0 [Re: tfabris]
jwickis
addict

OK I have it figured out (semi-technically challenged) works great Mr. Fabris, thanks.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2