Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#180374 - 25/09/2003 12:10 Re: Project Censored [Re: DLF]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
To get totally off the subject:
I tried to point out...
Yeah. For example, what if they'd decided on this SUV?

I think that that baby wouldn't be so happy with knees in it.

#180375 - 25/09/2003 12:14 Re: Project Censored [Re: DLF]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I tried to point out that this was the classic passive (vs. active) safety, "bigger must be better" thinking, and that had she been in a more nimble vehicle, she might have avoided hitting the parked car altogether.
That same question was posed to me on Usenet years ago. Someone said they had a choice between commuting in a Miata (top-down it has the ultimate visibility and is very nimble) or in an SUV (which could survive pretty much anything short of a direct Stinger hit).

They made the same argument: That the former is an accident avoider, the latter an accident survivor.

My response was simple logic: No matter how nimble you are, there are some accidents that you just can't avoid.

So given those two choices, the SUV is a safer car.

The truth is that it's possble to build a safe, accident-surviving car that's doesn't need its own zip code. The Miata isn't one of them, but such cars do exist. He just didn't have a Volvo in his list of choice when he presented the question.

Damn, I've just started another SUV thread. Please forgive me.

#180376 - 25/09/2003 12:38 Re: Project Censored [Re: tfabris]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Another digression! How great . . .

You make a really good point here Tony, and I can say I’ve experience with both sides of this issue. My wife was driving a full size GMC truck when we first met (she was 19) and I can honestly say she didn’t know how to handle it. It was a big vehicle that was cumbersome to turn and slow to stop. She got in three accidents in it, and while one was completely not her fault, I think at least one of the other two had to do with handling such a large vehicle. So while she was “safer” in the large truck, it made the road a more dangerous place (boy I hope she never reads this!). On the other hand, I drive a mustang, which, while not a small vehicle, turns much more quickly and stops a lot easier. This has saved me in more than one occasion simply because I was able to react quickly enough to avoid the accident.

My wife now drives an Escape, which is a much smaller, nimbler SUV. It’s still an SUV though, and a lot “safer” in terms of getting hit. Somebody absolutely nailed her last month while she was sitting still at a yield sign; there was no way she could have avoided it. Yet the damage to her car (and person) was very minimal, while his was absolutely crushed. Part of that had to do with the way cars are built to crumple easily in front end collisions, but had she been in a car she would have certainly sustained more damage.

So I have two thoughts on the subject: SUVs and trucks can make the road more dangerous in general if people do not know how to drive them and that raises everyone’s danger. SUVs are safer (in general) for the driver than most cars (but not all, as Tony pointed out), and sometimes accidents simply can’t be avoided. I think a big key in all of this is to make sure that you are driving a car you are comfortable with and can handle appropriately (which I realize doesn’t address all of the issues associated with SUVs).

#180377 - 25/09/2003 12:41 Re: Project Censored [Re: tanstaafl.]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Once again I appreciate your kind words. All I can say is to repeat again how wonderful it is to be able to converse with such a tolerant group of people who all bring different perspectives to the table. We may not all respect each other’s ideas, but we do respect each other, and that is a breath of fresh air in this day and age.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2