Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#160906 - 09/05/2003 21:12 Need Input
belezeebub
addict

Ok, After getting hopelessly lost today I have made up my mind. I need the Gps/Nav System and the Empeg one doesn't cut it for me

I have a few Questions.

1. Can a Empeg MK2 be mounted on its End ?? ie Display up (maybe in he center console ??

2. Anyone know of anyway to get RCA Video from a Empeg Screen ??? ( then I could pipe it to a In dash unit, if not I can get some cheesy Pin Hole camera and Mickey Mouse it)

3. I have seen this name Tossed around on the boards " Camelot" what is it ???

4. I have heard Tell someone is/has or might be building a Remote Disply for the Empeg any Info?

5. If the Empeg will not work Well mounted on end any other Empeg Like Devices that I can use??

Edited by belezeebub (09/05/2003 21:35)
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#160907 - 09/05/2003 21:19 Re: LQQk--- Need Input---KQQL [Re: belezeebub]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
3. I have seen this name Tossed around on the boards " Camelot" what is it ???
Pics I took of the Camelot can be seen here. Targeted at the OEM market, it will probably not be easy to get it into your car and you would probably have to pay car-dealer prices for it and wait 3-4 years for it to appear in cars.

#160908 - 09/05/2003 21:34 Re: LQQk--- Need Input---KQQL [Re: belezeebub]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Do us all a favor and save those kind of subject lines for your ebay sales.

#160909 - 09/05/2003 21:36 Re: LQQk--- Need Input---KQQL [Re: genixia]
belezeebub
addict

Ok I changed it, I didn't see anything wrong with it but I don't want to pee on anyones Frosted Flakes

"Do us all a favor and save those kind of subject lines for your ebay sales.

Mk2a 60GB Blue. Serial 030102962
sig.mp3: File Format not Valid."
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#160910 - 09/05/2003 22:12 Re: Need Input [Re: belezeebub]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
1. Can a Empeg MK2 be mounted on its End ?? ie Display up (maybe in he center console ??
This is answered in the FAQ here.

2. Anyone know of anyway to get RCA Video from a Empeg Screen ???

4. I have heard Tell someone is/has or might be building a Remote Disply for the Empeg any Info?
I'd like to see this one publicly available, too. Someone please finish this project.

5. If the Empeg will not work Well mounted on end any other Empeg Like Devices that I can use??
You could have one of the MP3 players which act like a CD changer, then if your nav/screen/CD thing could control a CD changer, you would just plug it in. An example of such a device is the Kenwood Music Keg, also marketed as the Phatnoise. There is a comparison between these products linked from the FAQ here.

I see your problem. If I were critically dependent on a GPS system, but had to spend long hours in the car every day, I would be in a real quandary. I agree that the current revision of GPSapp isn't yet good enough for mission-critical navigation (although someday it could be if we keep working on it). But at the same time, there's no way I would want to spend long hours in the car without the empeg. Products like the Music Keg just aren't good enough for me. That's a pretty tough call.

If it were me in this situation, then I'd use StreetAtlas on a laptop sitting on the passenger seat. The screen would be even bigger and more detailed than a dedicated nav system, and the software would be more easily updated.

#160911 - 09/05/2003 22:48 Re: Need Input [Re: tfabris]
belezeebub
addict

So No go on mounting it in the center console (At my owe risk) Drat...

I was poking around and it seems Neo Car Jukebox has a Interface Widget that tricks Pioneer, Alpine and a few other head Units into thinking the neo box it one of there own cd changers.. this Sparks 2 new questions

1. Anyone Building one of this little Gems for the Empeg ? (Waits with baited breath for a yes answer)

2. anyone Own a Neo Car Jukebox and can give me the skinny on the quality of sound it makes and maybe a little input on form and function ? ( I checked out the Web site and other then a 90db SnR It had little usable info)

Edited by belezeebub (09/05/2003 22:55)

#160912 - 09/05/2003 23:23 Re: Need Input [Re: belezeebub]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

1. Anyone Building one of this little Gems for the Empeg ?
This one is answered in the FAQ here.

As far as the form and function of the Neo unit is concerned... you'll find a few people here on the BBS who got rid of their Neo units and got an empeg instead, if that tells you anything. In other words, it's adequate, but you'll miss the rich functionality of the empeg.

#160913 - 09/05/2003 23:29 Re: Need Input [Re: belezeebub]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

So No go on mounting it in the center console (At my owe risk) Drat...
Read the text carefully... All it might do is shorten the life of the disk drives. We don't have any specs on how much. Maybe not much, who knows? And even then, maybe you don't mind replacing the disk drives sometimes. Heck, there's plenty of other things that'll hurt the disk drives, like running them hot all the time.

#160914 - 09/05/2003 23:57 Re: Need Input [Re: tfabris]
belezeebub
addict

Ok my Internal Display just gave me a ID10T Error, Just because I don't have room in the dash doesn't mean I can't build a Custom Console Under the dash for the Empeg

(Sometimes I think me Brain is too hung up on ATM, Gig-e, FDDI, NAT,SAN, Etc to even think about little "if it would have been a snake it would have bit me" Fixes.

#160915 - 10/05/2003 00:23 Re: Need Input [Re: belezeebub]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Just because I don't have room in the dash doesn't mean I can't build a Custom Console Under the dash for the Empeg
Sure, other people have done that. It's just that most cars don't have any space at all to do that in the center, and not enough space above the passenger's knees to do it.

Here are two examples of doing just that kind of thing:

Example 1 (hand made)
Example 2 (aftermarket console for police radios)

#160916 - 10/05/2003 03:30 Re: Need Input [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Read the text carefully... All it might do is shorten the life of the disk drives

If you mount it vertically (on end) then you're risking a lot more than that. The tray will sit on the wiring looms at the back of the player and potentially cut through the insulation eventually (so put lots of tape between them) and the rubber shock mounts will almost certainly come out of the tray after a few months, causing the entire disk assembly to float around loose. I know people have been running their players like this and it doesn't necessarily cause problems, but of course it could damage the drives, short out something inside the player, or bring about armageddon.

Rob

#160917 - 10/05/2003 08:56 Re: Need Input [Re: rob]
belezeebub
addict

Thank you for the Info I feared as much... let me get out my trusty ruler and see if I can shoe Horn it under the dash.. If not I can mount it under the Seat and find some way to remote the display With a CHeesy Video camera.

#160918 - 10/05/2003 09:25 Re: Need Input [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Okay, Rob, you win.

#160919 - 10/05/2003 15:33 Re: Need Input [Re: tfabris]
belezeebub
addict

Cuss Cuss Swear Swear Dirty Word Dirty Word Dirty Word.

No room under the dash

My only Options would me to make a Pod that mounts on the top of the dash to hold the Empeg and I bet that would get me a ticket for blocking my View a little

HUmmmmm The only part that would be effected by mounting the Empeg on its end would be the hard drive(s) and carrier..

Anyone know off the top of there head how long a Drive cable can be used (Ie could I relocate the drives else were outside of the Empeg Case (Bah Even I don't like this idea now that I have said it)

Never mind... I am back to square one...

I wonder if my Fiberglass skills could make a Pod to fit on the top of the dash to hold the Empeg ??? Wonder how much trouble it would get me in with the Poilice

Suggestions ??

#160920 - 10/05/2003 15:37 Re: Need Input [Re: belezeebub]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

You know, there have been plenty of people who did custom work to re-arrange the mounting positions of various components in their dash. It's a lot of work, but do-able in many cases. For example, replacing sectional panels with custom fiberglass moldings, that sort of thing. Do you have any pictures of your dash?

#160921 - 10/05/2003 15:50 Re: Need Input [Re: tfabris]
V99

Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I'd like to see this one publicly available, too. Someone please finish this project.

Mine is getting there.. a few more weeks

#160922 - 10/05/2003 16:39 Re: Need Input [Re: tfabris]
belezeebub
addict

I do now, Here are the photos of my Problem

Notice how the Radio Mount has to come out away from the dash so the Empeg will fit.

http://home.attbi.com/~jlipchit/empeg1.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~jlipchit/empeg2.jpg

Notice how the Wireing hardness has to be Tucked Under the Empeg Dock and Notice how the Rear of the Dock is almost Flush against the Heating/ Ac duct

http://home.attbi.com/~jlipchit/empeg3.jpg

This is how much Front View I would loose The Empeg Mounted on the dash, ALso the Sun would beat down on it and it would be a Nice "Steal me" sign for passers by.

http://home.attbi.com/~jlipchit/empeg4.jpg

#160923 - 10/05/2003 16:56 Re: Need Input [Re: belezeebub]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Looking at the photos, especially at the amount of extra space around the empeg mount and the pocket below, I'll bet there's room in there for two DIN sized stereos with the right installation kit and some careful work. Remove the pocket and the mount and you've got a double-DIN opening that just needs the right kinds of coaxing to fit.

Do you know of a nav system which is only a single DIN with the screen? Or at least where one of the two components of the nav system could be mounted in the glove box?

#160924 - 10/05/2003 17:01 Re: Need Input [Re: tfabris]
belezeebub
addict

I tried that the bottom pocket is barely 1 inch and even if I built a custom mount I can't get the space I need with out moving all the Ac/heater ducts and moving the Vents up about 3/4 of an Inch, that pocket is not even 2 inches deep

Chassis Size (W x H x D)in : 7”x2”x 6-1/2”

#160925 - 10/05/2003 17:03 Re: Need Input [Re: belezeebub]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Well, there's gotta be something we can do...

#160926 - 10/05/2003 17:23 Re: Need Input [Re: tfabris]
belezeebub
addict

I hope so, I just checked no 3/4 or half din nav systems...

Top to Bottom the Total Size of the opening is 5 3/4 Inches 14.605 Cm

The Nose Part of the mount Comes out about 3/4 of an Inch 1.905Cm from Flush

The Bottom Pocket is 1 5/8 Inch High 4.1275Cm

No room to tapper up a new mount and still clear everything the Custom mount would be a Block 5.75inch 14.605 Cm high and Comming out nearly 1 inch 2.54cm from the dash with No taper it would fit but could I shoe horn in all the wires needed ?

#160927 - 10/05/2003 18:47 Re: Need Input [Re: belezeebub]
DeadFire
addict

I'm wondering what you might find inside the dashboard below that thin empty pocket. In order to keep my empeg where I want it (in the dash, where it belongs), I'd gladly cut up that lip that sticks out under that pocket and get myself a custom piece molded to make it look nice, creating a "stock-looking" and true 2 DIN space for whatever I wanted to install. For example, the empeg and the dash piece of a 2 piece Nav that is DIN mountable.

But I won't even consider a new car if my empeg wouldn't have a home in the dash , so that's just my .02.

Edit: There are tons of DIN receivers with monitors which should be able to accept the video output from a navigation system. But, of course, I have no idea what you're willing to spend, or what specific features you want in a nav system.

Edited by DeadFire (10/05/2003 18:54)

#160928 - 10/05/2003 19:47 Re: Need Input [Re: DeadFire]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Edit: There are tons of DIN receivers with monitors which should be able to accept the video output from a navigation system. But, of course, I have no idea what you're willing to spend, or what specific features you want in a nav system.
In fact, I've been thinking about this...

His problem is that he doesn't have a double-din space in his dash, so he can't have the empeg and a nav system...

But all the nav systems I've seen require a double-din space anyway: One for the generic screen and one for the nav computer. So even if he just dumped the empeg completely he'd still be kind of stuck. Right?

#160929 - 10/05/2003 20:57 Re: Need Input [Re: tfabris]
belezeebub
addict

Most of the systems I am looking at are a Single Din Unit with a Remote box for the GPs/Nav cd/dvd

but I had an Idea anyone know how well the Empeg takes Vibrations ?

I could mount it on the Amp rack with a Remote entender and a Cheesy Video Pin Hole Camera... Only part that worries me is the Amp rack is sitting on 2 12" Diamond Audio TDX 12D4 Subs. now sure how the Empeg would like that kind of vibration.

#160930 - 10/05/2003 21:22 Re: Need Input [Re: belezeebub]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

anyone know how well the Empeg takes Vibrations ?
I'm going to have to personally show you how to use the search feature in the FAQ. Entry here.

Question: Why would mounting it in the amp rack be any different than mounting it in the dash in terms of vibration?

In any case, the remote extender and cheesy camera thing would probably work. Even better, a steering wheel remote. I'd be curious to see someone actually get the video camera trick working and show photos of it. I want to see the Empeg face displaying on a car-DVD screen.

So which GPS unit are you thinking of getting?

#160931 - 10/05/2003 21:24 Re: Need Input [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I'm going to have to personally show you how to use the search feature in the FAQ. Entry here.
Hmm, I guess in these tough economic times, empeg doesn't have any spare funds to send you out to personal "FAQ coaching" sessions.

#160932 - 10/05/2003 21:45 Re: Need Input [Re: tfabris]
belezeebub
addict

I read that part of the FAQ but what worried me was the note about SPL compatitions and Possible Issues.. as for what differance it would make let me put it like this.

if you mount a Paint shaker to a Table no big deal... if you sit on the table with the paint shaker on the table vibrates... but if you sit on the paint shaker you vibrate.

And that doesn't include the Magnatic field of being that close to the speaker magnets... (I had this speaker box in my house for a few days while I Gel coated it and I can tell you first had it really played havoc with my TV when it was too close.

#160933 - 11/05/2003 09:32 Re: Need Input [Re: belezeebub]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

So you're saying your amp rack is connected to your subwoofers? Yeah, I wouldn't mount the empeg right next to the subwoofers. You could come up with an alternate location I'm sure.

#160934 - 11/05/2003 10:17 Re: Need Input [Re: tfabris]
Anonymous
Unregistered

linked from the FAQ here.
This one is answered in the FAQ here.
in the FAQ. Entry here.

Can you please link the entry in the FAQ for me that pertains to the purpose of life? Also, if you could, point me towards the empeg FAQ entry that explains how to turn the empeg into a time machine using only a toaster and an allen wrench.

#160935 - 11/05/2003 10:19 Re: Need Input [Re: tfabris]
DeadFire
addict

So basically my crazy idea about cutting up the dash to create a double DIN space has been dismissed. That's fine. It was crazy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >