Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1502 - 05/02/2000 09:46 Visual naming
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
We hope that a future release of the player software will allow visuals to be chosen by name. There is one non-technical problem with doing this that we hope some people here may be able to help with; we don't have names for most of the visuals!

We currently have a food bias among the visuals we have names for. For example, the "Sound Samosa" and an as yet unreleased visual called "Vermicelli". In general, the shorter the name the better. All visuals will be classified into groups like "Oscilloscopes", "Spectrum Analysers" and "3D".

Ideas should probably be posted here for the time being.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#1503 - 05/02/2000 10:21 Re: Visual naming [Re: mac]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

Great idea, Mike! This is going to be fun!

But before we get into it, we need to come up with some kind of reference point, so that we all know which visuals we're talking about. Descriptions like "That visual with all the lines and stuff" isn't going to cut it. We could simply number them, with "#1" being the one right after the blank screen. (Or whatever your internal coded list is, if it doesn't start on that one.)

More fun, though would be this: Someone could start with a library of .GIF files of each of the animations, then someone else could set up a quick-and-dirty web site with name submissions and voting? Who wants to do that? If not the voting, then at least the .GIF files? There are already some animated .GIFs at the developer site, if that could simply be expanded and referenced with links, that would be enough.

One question, though: Doesn't Toby already have names for them?

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.

#1504 - 05/02/2000 11:11 Re: Visual naming [Re: mac]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Okay, assuming that "#1" is the first one after the blank screen (and that we're not bothering to name the blank screen or the Empeg logo), here are my ideas...

1 Mt. Rubber
2 Yin and Yang
3 The Flag
4 The Rift (or Rorschach's Rift if that'll fit)
5 Spin-o-scope
6 Rubber Band
7 Rorschach
8 Thumper
9 Epilepsy Weave (or just Epilepsy)
10 BorgBeat
11 Checkers
12 Spectrum 1
13 Spectrum 2
14 Spectrum 3
15 Spectrum 4
16 Spectrum 5
17 Soundtrack 1
18 Soundtrack 2
19 Son of Blob
20 The Blob
21 Plaid
22 The Kicker
23 Captain's Log
24 Bigname 1
25 Bigname 2
26 Bigname 3
27 Spürm (note, that's supposed to be a U with an umlat over it, in case your font is different)
28 Track Info

#1505 - 08/02/2000 09:12 Re: Visual naming [Re: tfabris]
Lord Bleys

I sat down with the Empeg and compared your list to what I saw.

-VERY NICE- Tony.

I recommend single words, though. I've revised your proposed list (most of which I like a lot) to suit this. Those that I didn't agree with I replaced with my own suggestions (most are minor changes). Try sitting down with the unit, doing the same thing I did, and tell me what you think...

1 WaveForm
2 Shapes
3 Flag
4 Mandlebrot
5 Rotoscope
6 Rubberband
7 Rorschach
8 Pressure
9 Epilepsy
10 BorgBeat
11 Checkers
12 Spectrum1
13 Spectrum2
14 Spectrum3
15 Spectrum4
16 Spectrum5
17 Needle1
18 Needle2
19 BlobJr
20 BlobSr
21 Plaids
22 Kicker
23 Stardust
24 BigInfo1
25 BigInfo2
26 BigInfo3
27 Robotron
28 TrackInfo

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca

#1506 - 08/02/2000 09:42 Re: Visual naming [Re: Lord Bleys]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Good suggestions! I love "Rotoscope" and "Pressure". It'll be up to the coders as to whether or not multiple words will fit.

"Robotron" is cute (I get the reference), but I'll fight tooth and nail for Spürm. (Does anyone not get the "u" with the umlat there?)

One complaint: The name "Mandelbrot". We all know it's not really a fractal. It's just a spectrum analyzer with only the falloffs shown, then mirrored 4 ways, then rotated in 3D. Yeah, it looks a little bit like a Mandelbrot (actually more like a Julia set), but calling it "Mandelbrot" would open up a can of worms (würms?) with the math geeks.

#1507 - 08/02/2000 10:04 Re: Visual naming [Re: Lord Bleys]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
I already call 21 'Tartan', but that's probably some ancient Scottish blood showing through

Maybe the visuals could be given default names, which could be updated via Emplode to personal preferences/regional differences (like Tartan/Plaid)

I mean, if you call one Rorschach, then one day it might look like 'a butterfly', and the next day it might look like 'a herd of buffalo stampeding across a McDonalds carpark trampling Ronald McDonald into a pulp'...

I need help, don't I?

Geoff
---- -------
Reg No. 554, s/n 00064 - It's mine I tell you.... all mine :)
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#1508 - 08/02/2000 15:00 Re: Visual naming [Re: Geoff]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
the next day it might look like 'a herd of buffalo stampeding across a McDonalds
carpark trampling Ronald McDonald into a pulp'...

I need help, don't I?

That's odd - so you call it that as well?

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#1509 - 08/02/2000 23:01 Re: Visual naming [Re: tfabris]
Lord Bleys

Tony,
Valid point with the name: Mandlebrot; I didn't think much about it and just went with my first instinct.

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca

#1510 - 09/02/2000 11:29 Re: Visual naming [Re: tfabris]
xml
journeyman

> 27 Spürm (note, that's supposed to be a U with an umlat over it, in case
> your font is different)

Definitely sperm. Anyone who sees that immediately does a double take and
asks me if I added it myself...

Paul

#1511 - 13/03/2000 14:40 Re: Visual naming [Re: tfabris]
Jens
stranger

Loc: Manhattan, New York, USA
I'm on the list for an empeg unit, and I'm not even getting my new car until June, so no rush with the MkII, but does anyone have a web site with more pictures than the empeg.com site? I'd love to see some of the screen shots for these visuals!

J.

#1512 - 13/03/2000 15:14 Re: Visual naming [Re: Jens]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

If you've got the bandwidth to download it, there's a movie file of the unit cycling through the different visuals.

http://www.techage.net/empeg

Enjoy!

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#1513 - 13/03/2000 15:25 About that visuals movie... [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

One more thing. If you go to that site, don't bother to download the low rez version of the movie file. If you really want to see the visuals in detail, you need to download the high rez version.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#1514 - 13/03/2000 15:29 Re: About that visuals movie... [Re: tfabris]
Jens
stranger

Thanks Tony - I literally just came across that link anyway! I have almost T3 from home via DSL, so I'll check it tonight.

One more question for the 'panel' - I'm planning on getting a new Mustang convertible in June (when they're available!) and don't want to ditch the stock Mach 460 (?) sound system as it sounds awesome. Does anyone know if there's space elsewhere in the Mustang dash to fit the empeg?

J.

#1515 - 13/03/2000 15:38 Re: About that visuals movie... [Re: Jens]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Thanks Tony - I literally just came across that link anyway! I have almost T3 from home via DSL, so I'll check it tonight.

Grrrr. I can't get DSL where I live. I went through the seventh level of Hell just trying to get ISDN, then found out I couldn't have that either.

Hey, are you the one from Roseville? I thought you were supposed to be out of town by today.

As far as finding out about the Mustang, call Crutchfield and ask them. Pretend that you want to add on an in-dash Minidisc player and want to know if it'll fit. They'll have detailed specs. 888-955-6000.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#1516 - 13/03/2000 16:15 Re: About that visuals movie... [Re: tfabris]
Jens
stranger

No, I'm new to the group, based in Manhattan. I'll call Crutchfield tomorrow (top tip!).

DSL is awesome - highly recommended. (I can play the large MPEG video real time)

#1517 - 13/03/2000 17:04 Re: About that visuals movie... [Re: Jens]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

No, I'm new to the group, based in Manhattan.

Ah, sorry, mistaken identity. There was someone from my neck of the woods who was asking me similar questions via e-mail recently. I noticed that your post on this thread was your first and made an assumption.

But, if you're in Manhattan, why would you want a car? Isn't that sort of like an Alaskan wanting a pair of waterskis?

I'll call Crutchfield tomorrow (top tip!).

Hang around on this board a while. Everyone here is full of great tips. But why wait until tomorrow to call Crutchfield? They are open 24 hours (yes, in a row), and the number is toll-free.

Just be careful. The people at Crutchfield are very helpful, courteous, and knowledgeable. They are also non-pushy. It will catch you off-guard and you'll be so impressed that you'll be ordering stuff from them before you realize it.

DSL is awesome - highly recommended. (I can play the large MPEG video real time)

Oh, you suck! Click on my name at the bottom of this post, then scroll down and read all the news items about the troubles I've had trying to get broadband service to my house.

Also...

Note that the video on that site is from a very old release of the Empeg operating system software. The current version (9c) has an even bigger and better selection of visuals, and there are more on the way. That's the beauty of the Empeg: its software is upgradeable via a simple download from the internet. Also, the list of visuals in that video is smaller (and in a different order) than the ones we were giving names to elsewhere in this thread, so don't try to match them up.

Oh, and if you want, you can turn off that line of text at the bottom of the screen so that the visuals run full-screen. The unit's display is quite impressive, even that high-rez video doesn't do it justice. In the video, it looks kind of blurry and washed-out. The Empeg's display is actually very crisp and clear. And the subtleties of the music interacting with the visuals is lost in that movie- the visuals are a lot more impressive in person.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#1518 - 13/03/2000 21:54 Re: About that visuals movie... [Re: tfabris]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Argghhh,

Now you are making me want to see the latest and greatest. I checked out that video ages ago. Can I convince anyone into making an updated video with the newer visuals and maybe sound so we can see the interactions? No, I don't care about bandwith, if it doesn't have at least a T1 I don't want to be there :-)

-Mike

#1519 - 14/03/2000 19:35 Re: About that visuals movie... [Re: tfabris]
Jens
stranger

Maybe we should continue the thread offline before we start annoying folks!

A car in Manhattan? I know what you mean, but I've had a car since I could drive and really miss the freedom - being able to escape to the beach at the weekend, snowboarding in the winter, basically to get out of Manhattan. I had a Supra for a year before totalling it on Park Avenue at 3am one morning. I really don't want to think about the costs ... I've had an insurance quote for $4,000 for the year, and parking's another $350 a month. For those of you not from NYC, yes, those are the correct numbers! Don't even ask about rent on the apartment.

I've an appointment to meet with Manhattan Ford this week, so I'll take a look at the Mustang dash and see if there's any space anywhere for the empeg.

OK. If that video is old, why the hell hasn't anyone updated it yet? I would have thought it would be good PR for the empeg boys to publish stuff like that?

And can we have the empeg chaps check out their bandwidth? I'm only getting 102k/s download. ;-) I've got my asbestos trousers on ... let the flaming begin! About to check your DSL woes now!

Jens

#1520 - 14/03/2000 22:09 Re: About that visuals movie... [Re: mcomb]
CHiP
enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I have no problem making a video and put it on my server. It's sitting on multi T3's.

Video editing is my hobbie. What do you want to see, and i'll make something up this weekend... ??

you can email me at: chip@Jungle.net

-CHiP

#1521 - 15/03/2000 00:55 Re: About that visuals movie... [Re: CHiP]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Oh boy, oh boy, a willing volunteer. Personally I would love a video that showed a few seconds of each visual (would be good for that nameing thing too) and included sound so that we can really see the interaction. Maybe show a little of the menu interaction too so that we can see how that works. Of course this will probably just make me more jealous.

I can put up a mirror copy on a virtually unused T1 if you see any reason to have it.

-Mike

#1522 - 15/03/2000 02:17 Re: About that visuals movie... [Re: Jens]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The www2.empeg.com (where www.empeg.com redirects to) is at UPNetworks, which has multiple T3's. We shouldn't be bandwidth limited, but if you think we are being limited please tell us and we'll take it up with them.

Empeg's offices are on a 64k leased-line: this costs us about $11,000 a year. DSL is coming, but until then permanent net connections cost the earth in the UK... we've lost count of the number of times people have said "wow, I pay less than that for a T1!" (grrrrrr)

Hugo

#1523 - 15/03/2000 09:18 Re: About that visuals movie... [Re: Jens]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Maybe we should continue the thread offline before we start annoying folks!

It's OK if the threads here go a little off-topic. Most of us enjoy it. As long as we don't take it too far, and try to aim things back in the proper direction. To that end...

OK. If that video is old, why the hell hasn't anyone updated it yet? I would have thought it would be good PR for the empeg boys to publish stuff like that?

The video you saw wasn't even published by Empeg. It was published by an owner of one of the early Mark1 units.

As far as PR goes, Empeg is deliberately slacking off on the PR until the Mark2's are ready for production/shipment. They have a completely new web site ready to launch, they're just holding back the reins on the marketing machine until they actually have something to sell. Expect to see all that stuff come out of the floodgates soon.

And can we have the empeg chaps check out their bandwidth? I'm only getting 102k/s download.

If you're talking about downloading the video, this traces back to the fact that it's not Empeg who published it.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#1524 - 15/03/2000 09:33 Re: About that visuals movie... [Re: tfabris]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
And can we have the empeg chaps check out their bandwidth? I'm only getting 102k/s download.

If you're talking about downloading the video, this traces back to the fact that it's not Empeg who published it.

Personally, I would consider selling most of my family for 102k/s downloads the best I usually get is about 4k/s... methinks there was some sarcasm involved...

Geoff
---- -------
Reg No. 554, s/n 00064 - It's mine I tell you.... all mine :)
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#1525 - 15/03/2000 09:46 Re: About that visuals movie... [Re: Geoff]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Personally, I would consider selling most of my family for 102k/s downloads

Oh yeah, me too. Of course, it depends on whether you're talking kilobits or kilobytes. I'm on a 256 kilobit connection at work, but at home I can't get better than 26 kilobits. If you're talking kilobytes... well, let's just say that I've actually considered quitting the job, selling the house, and moving to a different town just so I could get a DSL line...

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#1526 - 15/03/2000 12:58 Re: About that visuals movie... [Re: tfabris]
Jens
stranger

Oh, we're talking 'bytes' here! I get 1Mb in around 10s .. for $80 a month. What am I bid for a wife and two kids?

And to get back on topic ... I just spoke with Crutchfield and no, keeping the Mach 460 sound system in the Mustang, there's nowhere to place an emp--, I mean MiniDisc. ;-) So ... what next?! I *need* the empeg but don't want to lose the 460Watt kicking output from the standard stereo.

And waning slightly back off topic ... the deposit for the Mustang Cobra is getting sent this weekend. Earliest expected delivery date ... late June!

J.

#1527 - 15/03/2000 13:49 Re: About that visuals movie... [Re: Jens]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

And to get back on topic ... I just spoke with Crutchfield and no, keeping the Mach 460 sound system in the Mustang, there's nowhere to place an emp--, I mean MiniDisc. ;-) So ... what next?! I *need* the empeg but don't want to lose the 460Watt kicking output from the standard stereo.

Well, if the standard stereo does 460 watts, then it's possible that the car has a separate amplifier to begin with. I've never heard of a head unit that included that kind of amplification built-in. You might just be able to pop the factory head unit out and pop the Empeg in there in place of it. You might need a speaker-level adapter, but guess what? Crutchfield sells those, too. Just tell them that you're planning on replacing the factory head unit and you want to know how to do it in that make-and-model of car. They probably already have something ready to recommend.

I don't know what size and shape the factory stereo is in that car, but it might be an oversized unit (i.e., bigger than a DIN chassis), so you'd need a little adapter fascia to go around the Empeg. Again, almost any car stereo installer will be able to get you one of these (although I don't know if Crutchfield sells those separately-- they offer them free if you buy your head unit from Crutchfield).

Finally, if the "add-on-to-the-factory-amplifier" thing doesn't work for you, consider this: When they say 460 watts, they're probably stating "peak" wattage. The actual RMS wattage (a more realistic rating) is probably closer to 200. And you can get that much amplifier wattage pretty cheap these days.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#1528 - 15/03/2000 14:00 Re: About that visuals movie... [Re: tfabris]
Jens
stranger

Given they make such a deal about the 460, I hope they mean RMS. And you're right - it can't be in the head unit w/o some pretty serious heat sinks up there. I suppose the only thing I'd really be losing is the in dash CD and tape deck. Given that I haven't owned a tape in 10 years, and the empeg will do away with the need for the CD player, I suppose I've nothing to lose. It's interesting, though, looking at pictures of the dash, there do appear to be 2 DIN sized slots ... http://www.fordvehicles.com/images/popups/popup_mustang_machsound.jpg

#1529 - 15/03/2000 14:03 Re: About that visuals movie... [Re: tfabris]
Jens
stranger

Doh! Should have paid more attention ... quite clearly says 'Peak'!

#1530 - 16/03/2000 04:10 Re: About that visuals movie... [Re: Jens]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
I've had a quick look at the picture..
It looks like you could add either a tape or cd head unit in addition to the empeg... =)
However if the Mach units are not linked in some way that means they work as a pair, and are just linked one into the other, you might only have to replace one of them with the empeg, and not get a second head unit... =)
(Anyone familier with the way they are linked?)

My Fiesta also has 2 din sized slots (But only one had a head unit), so I run a JVC CD / MD in dash player (mainly as the volume control) and the empeg into the line in...

Jazz
(List 112, S/N 00030, 4 gig blue)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#1531 - 22/03/2000 22:38 Re: About that visuals movie... [Re: tfabris]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
DSL. *big sigh*

Here in sunny Australia, it's one of those things that happens to other people. Telstra has rumours of supplying DSL by the end of this year, but no-one inside Telstra itself can actually confirm or deny this. Cable modems are only just coming out and are still quite expensive.

My big problem is that I've got 56K dialup from home, which usually hits 49.3kbit. My work connection is 2 megabit (the link from our connector office is 10Mbit, but the link from there to here is 2), but we're behind a firewall and (of course) can't use anything like napster or realaudio or other stuff like that. The fact that the http proxy requires an authentication step and periodically (say, every half an hour) requires a reboot only adds to the problem. Unsurprisingly, it's MS Proxy. Of course, I could use the home connection, which is unrestricted...

Can someone who's using DSL mail me and tell me what it's like and how it's connected?

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >