Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#133783 - 08/01/2003 17:34 I'm having multiple problems...Can you help (:-(
TheNewGuy
new poster

Loc: US
I'm new to the Rio world and even this site. I'm having problems with my rio and I haven't been able to listen to music in my car for 4-5 weeks now cause the player is out. Last night after reading post I finally opened the box and moved the ide cable to the new spot as the master and things came back so that I could upgrade the player. Then the player had started doing the “can't find pump” thing. Then at 2 this morning I moved it back to the slave position and it worked. Then when I took it to my car this morning, it stays at the RIO intro screen for about 5 minutes then no hard disk found. So when I got to work figured I can at least plug it in and listen to it and is still doing the same thing.

I had just started getting problems with the no hard disk found in the car only, but after restarting the player about 3-4 times it would work fine. Then about a month ago, I upgraded my computer to Win XP (which I still haven't figured out how to get past the problem of connecting the player with a USB cable) and when I went to upgrade that's when everything wrong went wrong. Again thanks again for even replying, I do appreciate it.

I have the mark II, 30 gig RIO car. Do you have any suggestions for me????

#133784 - 08/01/2003 17:51 Re: I'm having multiple problems...Can you help (:-( [Re: TheNewGuy]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
You probably need a new hard disk cable if you contact empeg support they will send you one.

USB doesn't work with XP you have to use ethernet.

Matt

#133785 - 08/01/2003 18:17 Re: I'm having multiple problems...Can you help (:-( [Re: TheNewGuy]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Even though the error messages you are seeing have changed it's still likely that you have the known problem with the IDE cable.

It sounds like you've done the right thing in terms of swapping over to the other IDE header in an attempt to get around the problem. As was suggested earlier, you need to replace your IDE cable (mail support at carsupport@sonicblue.com , they will send you one for free AFAIK). Since you only have one HDD you could turn the cable around 180 degrees so to speak in case it's bad at the motherboard end and not at the HDD end.

Otherwise, you might have dry joint(s) on the empeg mainboard's IDE header, the best solution is to send the unit in for service if this proves correct. It looks like you've already read this but here's the FAQ entry describing the whole scenario.

The XP/USB thing is a known problem - it's unrelated to your IDE problem, some people connect to the empeg through ethernet as a workaround.

#133786 - 09/01/2003 07:22 Re: I'm having multiple problems...Can you help (:-( [Re: AndrewT]
TheNewGuy
new poster

Thanks for your reply, it is much appreciated...

#133787 - 09/01/2003 14:37 Re: I'm having multiple problems...Can you help (:-( [Re: TheNewGuy]
TheNewGuy
new poster

It's me again...I just wanted to say thanks to all the brainiacs that live in here. The rio is up and running again. One day, I will be at the level upon which you guys live on, until then...THANKS

#133788 - 09/01/2003 16:29 Re: I'm having multiple problems...Can you help (:-( [Re: TheNewGuy]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

What was it?