Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#119766 - 07/10/2002 22:57 XP stinks.
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
guess what i've just experienced in windows? IF you are using any kind of automatic login (either w/ welcome screen and only 1 user, or w/ tweakui), it skips all of the HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run entries. i wonder if anyone else has experienced this, or want to verify. this is XP SP1 Corporate Edition.

#119767 - 08/10/2002 09:07 Re: XP stinks. [Re: image]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
So, move 'em to current_user.

#119768 - 08/10/2002 10:51 Re: XP stinks. [Re: tfabris]
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
thats much more work than putting in my password once per reboot. wish microsoft products would work as intended.....

#119769 - 08/10/2002 12:55 Re: XP stinks. [Re: image]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Frankly, I hate the whole multi-user system. it's really the only thing that has regularly annoyed me about Windows and I don't understand why its not optional. I mean really, I'm the only person who will ever use my computer. That's the way it's been for about 8 years now. Why should I have it set up with all these administrator options and other crap? And if I want a password protected computer, I'll enable it. Argh.

#119770 - 08/10/2002 14:03 Re: XP stinks. [Re: Dignan]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
The multi-user system seems pretty optional to me. I've got a XP home laptop, and aside from every once in a while seeing a reference to my user name, never deal with logging in or users. This day in age having users and permissions is a necessity for almost all computers that aren't used soley by one power user at all times.

On the family desktop, the users allow everyone to keep running their programs while someone else uses it. I never have to close my 50 windows that are open, i just switch users. There aren't any permissions associated with users, so everyone can still read everyones files.

In a corporate world, logging in and file permissions are an absoulte necessity.

Matthew

#119771 - 08/10/2002 18:16 Re: XP stinks. [Re: matthew_k]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
That's mostly true. I never said there wasn't a need for multiple users, just that it is, in fact, pretty mandatory and I do run in to small annoyances with it all the time. Most of the time it involves the annoying "Documents and Settings" folder and how it seperates many files that way. I hate that I have to go into that folder in many programs to grab something off the desktop. Not just the desktop though, my desktop. You see, I don't want a difference.

Like I said, I want to have the choice to say "My machine will be used by me and me alone!" Just being able to auto-login isn't enough for me. I want to do away with it completely.

#119772 - 08/10/2002 23:59 Re: XP stinks. [Re: Dignan]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I know it's not the answer you want, but all that stuff is in the registry, so if you wanted your desktop to live in "c:\desktop" you could. Take a look in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders