Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#10902 - 10/07/2000 23:47 Re: Don't do Windows? [Re: Dignan]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
No, I'm not a Mac or Linux user, so I'm obviously covered.

I am Linux user, but I still 'side' with Rob here (perhaps because I kind of know what it looks like to make, release and support software products...)

I appreciate willingness of some people here to put in some effort and write MacEmptool themselves. I would also like to play with that on my Linux (perhaps making something to synchronize empeg and my local playlists or whatever). However, reasons Rob states for delaying sync code release are not mere excuses, and I would realy like people here to realize that. Further, when guys@empeg don't know when they will able to do something, they say so, instead of inventing a date to placate requester, as everybody else does. I have never encountered company as open with its clients as empeg (including, perhaps, even mine ), and would really not like to induce them to change.

I would also like to ask fellow board members to stop writing annoying 'I will reconsider my options' in, so to speak, 'threatening mode'. Of course we are considering our options all the time, whether we shout that or not.

All this said, I still do think that empeg would benefit from a bit of open sourcing, but it has been covered before; this is their product and their decission.

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#10903 - 11/07/2000 00:28 Re: Don't do windoze? [Re: Dredd]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
for suggesting the mere possibility...

Wow, I certainly wouldn't like to be around when you insist on something, D!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#10904 - 12/07/2000 08:14 Re: Don't do windoze? [Re: Jesus Christ]
Beelzebub
new poster

Loc: Everywhere
>Relax, my child, I am here.

As am I. Registered user #666, too, if I got my timing right.

Beelzebub.
(Enough of this flaming, please :)

#10905 - 12/07/2000 17:02 Re: Don't do windoze? [Re: Dredd]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
I apologise if I am repeating anything that has already been said. I haven't read the whole thread since as most people can imagine there are more important things to do.

$ tar -czvf emplode-src.tgz ./src/emplode
$ cp emplode-src.tgz /home/ftp/pub/sources/emplode-windows/.

Yep. But /home/ftp is behind our firewall so it won't help. I'm also sure that absolutely everyone in our development team is quite capable of working out the correct tar parameters.

The situation is far more complex that that. There is a lot of shared code between all our projects and we can legally only release some parts of it. Hence, last summer we split the libraries into ones we could release and ones we couldn't and made sure that emptool had no dependencies on the ones we couldn't. Since then the waters have got considerably more murky.

There are also non-technical problems such as licensing to consider.

Anyway, Peter has been looking at this and something may now happen sooner rather than later.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#10906 - 12/07/2000 21:42 Re: Don't do windoze? [Re: mac]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
"Anyway, Peter has been looking at this and something may now happen sooner rather than later."

Thanks mac,

I kinda regret starting this thread since it did not answer my question (timeframe) or head in the direction I really wanted it to (head count of people interested in MacEmptool), but I am glad to here someone at Empeg is at least thinking about what to do with the source.

-Mike

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3