Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#101733 - 27/06/2002 02:22 Wacky Idea???
kojak71
journeyman

Has anyone even toyed with the idea of hooking up a data logger to the empeg? The kit I'm talking about is the DL90 from www.race-technology.com. It uses accelorometers and GPS to work out things like speed, lateral and longitudunal G-force, accept other inputs, e.g. wheel speed, engine speed, oil temp., you get the idea. The desktop software is quite comprehensive and will even plot out the circuit, from the data you've gathered. However you need to have a PC with you.

Obviously it would be more useful if you could analyse some data whilst you were still at the track. Things like sector times, lateral & longitudanal G would be really useful and perhaps could be done in realtime even. I've talked to the development team, about possibly doing something realtime with a PDA and they seem to be interested in investigating this. But then I thought that the empeg might be even better. The data logger even uses a serial port to output the data.

#101734 - 27/06/2002 04:18 Re: Wacky Idea??? [Re: kojak71]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Here's another nice bit of kit here I was thinking of getting:
http://www.microsmith.co.uk/perf.htm

This ones hooks up to the coil too - not sure if the DL90 does, it didn't mention it on the site. It's about half the price too!

Gareth

#101735 - 27/06/2002 05:18 Re: Wacky Idea??? [Re: g_attrill]
kojak71
journeyman

The Dyno is a simplified version of the DL90, and mostly used for power runs to work out bhp at the wheels. The DL90 can do that as well a g-force and sector times, and circuit layout it determines from the GPS data. So once the data is processed on the PC, you can have a map of the circuit, overlayed with your position, along with speed, g-force, plus whatever you chose to input into the other inputs (2 analogue inputs (can read from any 5V or 12V source, so it can be connected to the coil) + 1 digital (with adjustable threshold)). The traction circle graph it produces is massively useful. The Dyno can record 5 minutes worth of data, whereas the DL90 can record 90 minutes data (with 100 measurements per second).