It's very cool

I wouldn't get the developers version, SL5000, that only has 32Mb. Get the newer retail version SL5500 it has 64Mb. With 32Mb its partitioned as either 20Mb application heap and 12 Mb storage, or 26Mb heap and 6 Mb storage. So either you run of heap or you have no space for files.

You can get around the storages space with a SD or CF card. The zaurus if good cause it has both a SD and CF slot built in. It's about the size of the ipaq, a little smaller i think, but with the ipaq you have to add bulky sleaves if you want to add a CF card.

Having both a SD and CF card means you can pop more RAM into the SD slot and still have the CF card free for a wireless network card or other expansions. I heard a wireless network card sucks allot of battery juice though.

I think it's a shame that it doesn't have a proper speaker, it's got a buzzer for alarms, but if you want to play mp3s or have sound effects in games then you have to plug headphones in.

That's about all the complaints i have... not as many apps as for palm or wince of course, but they seem to be appearing pretty quick, and if you need any of the usual linux tools you can just grab them from the debain arm distro...

The zaurus is basically binary compatible with the familiar/qtopia setup that people run on ipaqs so hopefully that will stimulate more apps with a common bigger market.

The screen is very good,64K colours i think, and im getting pretty good at the handwriting recognition, i can't decide if it's quicker to use handwriting or the pullout keyboard.

rc5 client doesn't pause itself when running on battery power like it does on my x86 laptop

We got it for developing Java stuff on and the Jeode java runtime looks pretty good. Basic AWT apps take about 4-5Mb not much more than native QT apps.