Thanks for all the advice so far, everyone, keep it coming.

As a follow up to some of the things I've seen in this thread so far, I want clarify a couple of points:

- Speed is not an issue for this printer, and neither is text/draftmode printing. For text, I have a perfectly good laser printer. For quick non-photo color work, I have the existing Epson 440. The only thing I will ever print with this printer is high-quality glossy photos using special paper.

- I know about using only the correct paper for the job, and about using only ink carts from the manufacturer. I know about how to set the printer driver properly for the proper paper and quality type.

I have had only one problem with our current Epson, which is that the ink, when left "sitting" for a long time without printing, clogs up in the nozzles. It's built-in cleaning routines were inadequate for unclogging the nozzles. I had to do some web research to find some homebrew remedies for unclogging the nozzles (which eventually did work, thank goodness).

The reason the clogging happens is because the Epson does not replace the nozzles along with the ink cartridges. The nozzles are a permanent part of the printer. If they clog and you can't get them unclogged, it's over $100.00 for replacements.

So that nozzle thing might be another factor in my purchasing decision. Anyone have information on that?

Oh, and www.dpreview.com doesn't seem to do printer reviews. Too bad!