I second that idea.

what I;d like to see the knob be able to do is:

1. Volume up/down [default behaviour now]

2. Skip forward or back quickly in playlist [newly added option]

3. Cycle forward and back through visuals quickly ala 2 above

4. Same for preset stations in Tuner mode [i.e. skip forward/back through the presets quickly]

Now the big problem is how to have all of these available on one knob and let the user select which one they want active at the given time.

Option 4 would be only active if in Tuner mode and would logically replace option 2 as the concept of a playlist is replace by preset stations in the Tuner mode.
1 & 3 would be wanted in all source modes so they need to be active one at a time only.

I think this could be done as another option on the 'push the knob menu options', i.e. a new mode that allows you cycle amoungst these options [only] , each successive knob push advances to the next knob turning option and when the last one is reached, back to the beginning again.

[the way to leave this option is via the hijack menu options using a long push]

The other thing I would like to see is some way of getting at and mapping the Sony Stalk Interface 'keys' ala the IR mapping function - I'm not sure how the Stalk is supported - by the player directly or within the Kernel or what.
Obviously the latter would be easy to get at and remap, the former much harder but still do-able I guess as I assume the Sony Stalk commands still get sent to the player software via the kernel somehow.

Having had a Stalk Interface for a while I find it nearly as useful when in the car as the front knob buttons - but of course not everyone has a Sony Stalk Interface as it requires a Tuner module which as we know are in short supply.