Quote:
It would appear that the remote turn on relay is the culprit.

Yeah, makes sense. I suggested it because I seemed to remember seeing, at some point, a situation where a problem with the amp remote wire made the player's display stay fully "off" all the time. There's some hard-wired circuitry in the player which ties the behavior of the amp remote wire directly with the display on/off state: Display on, amp is on, display off, amp is off. So when you said your display wouldn't come on, it was the first thing I thought of. If the FAQ were still up, I think there might even be a FAQ entry mentioning it somewhere.

Quote:
just this little digging around in the car ground me down quick

You're telling me! I've done so much work and fiddling and tweaking of my 2000 Honda Accord that I can get into and out of the dash, door interiors, center console, etc, blindfolded. And yet still it's very physically intense work that leaves me completely destroyed. And usually with new sets of cuts and scrapes. Since that car got rear-ended last week and I'm predicting it will get totaled, I spent Sunday pulling out all the custom stereo gear and putting the factory gear back into place for whoever buys the salvage title on it. I know this car so well, and this was the "easy" version of the job where I'm extracting the custom stuff and snapping in the snap-in factor stuff, but the job still took me several hours and left me completely fried.