Quote:
I think this is what you're saying:

You'll have both a cable modem and a router at each house.

In each house, you'll have traffic flowing [interwebs] <-> [cable modem] <-> [WANint/router/LANint] <-> [house LAN]

You then want to run a dedicated line between each house's router so the two house LANs talk without hitting the (otherwise slow) internet.

More or less yes, but I plan to set up a static route between the two routers at each place with a third router. I do not presently have it set up like this. I'm just trying to test the static routing scheme with two routers at present.

Quote:
First, quick, easy answer: if you just want to access the two servers, you can connect the LANs without any routing and bind two IP addresses - one from each LAN - to each server. Problem solved.

If you want full routing between two separate LANs, things get trickier.

I will need full routing because in addition to the 'real' servers with dual interfaces, I would like all PCs to be able to see all devices on the other network which may include IP cameras and shares on various PCs.

Quote:
What hardware are you going to use for the fiber connecions? Will it support multiple IP addresses/subnets and routing?

Just a media converter on one end and a mini GBIC in a switch on the other. Nothing fancy.

Right now I would really just like to get static routes working like is described here. I would essentially be doing the same thing minus the third router in the picture and stock Asus firmware instead of DD-WRT. I've followed their static routes and IP configurations exactly but it just doesn't work in both directions as stated previously. Once I get that sorted out I can worry about the rest of it.

Thanks for your help!
Stu